• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Never say never ....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So heartbreaking.

I wish the circumstances were different...Ghost would be most welcome here at this crazy house...my wife has a hearing deficit, I am unaffected by 'too screams, and Milty could have 'too screamfests....but getting a bird over the border is a practical impossibility...:(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe other family members are reacting to the screaming and thereby reinforcing him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is it possible to have a birdroom where they are all locked up but then have a play area where they can be supervise? I'm gasping at straws here but I thought I'd ask.

I'm so sorry for your situation. Its very true that all birds are individuals. And I'm not sure why smaller cockatoos are supposed to be "easier" large ones. I've certainly met Goffins that were quite difficult birds and large Toos that were relatively easy :shrug:

I wish you luck with Ghost and hope if you can't work it out that he finds a soft place to land. Sometimes pets just aren't a good fit despite trying everything we try to make it work. It's possible with the right environment Ghost won't be such a screamer. Perhaps he wants to be with other Toos. But I understand why bringing another Too isn't an option for you. It can be a crapshoot. I wish you both well :bluhug:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I just don't know what to say ...a bird room has been put on the table for my family ...they are worried about his loneliness .. like myself ...it wont work with all the birds in the room as they do not get along when they are out and have to be watched ...So I don't see how I can subject my other two to the fate of having to be locked up when he gets to be out in the same room that would not be fair ...and he could still be hurt if he goes to their cages if he is out ...he would have to be alone in the bird room or I would have to get him a friend and that is not in the cards ... This is such a cluster F ...I have also tried the quite method and reward when quite we tried that for months and he just didn't get it or I wasn't doing it right ...I would love to read that article if you can find it ...I am just heart broken over this ...my family is trying they truly are and have been for 1 1/2 yrs buy they just see no other way out ... he is just so lovely except the screaming ... :sad2:
You divide that bird room up with barriers like screen panels so everybody has their own "safe" zone while unsupervised. When you're there you open things up and that's where you hang out. They can all live together very easily. It's all how you adapt the environment. Always is. As long as there no threat (because you set it up that way) then they "will" learn to cohabitate as they all become familiar with each other and earn each others respect just like with you. It is that simple.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Here it is: Quick Guide: Solve Your Parrot’s Screaming Problem for Good! – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Do you know why he screams? With Elvis it's obvious- he wants out of his cage.
Yes there are several reasons .. First off he wants food - treats ... then there is some one is coming down the street or coming home next door or coming home ... then there is the dog he likes playing with the dog ...then there is we are not in the same room with him ...then there is we have company ...and the big one my daughter he loves my daughter ...I'm sure there are other reasons like morning and night and cuz he just wants to but those are the main ones ...Thanks for the read it was great :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So heartbreaking.

I wish the circumstances were different...Ghost would be most welcome here at this crazy house...my wife has a hearing deficit, I am unaffected by 'too screams, and Milty could have 'too screamfests....but getting a bird over the border is a practical impossibility...:(
Thank you ..yes I'm sure Ghost would love it at your house ..it is to bad the boarders are so tight :(

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Maybe other family members are reacting to the screaming and thereby reinforcing him?
Yes it is more than possible ...I'm sure they are ..but I don't know how to fix that we were all on board about a yr ago and it started to fall apart .. :(

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Is it possible to have a birdroom where they are all locked up but then have a play area where they can be supervise? I'm gasping at straws here but I thought I'd ask.

I'm so sorry for your situation. Its very true that all birds are individuals. And I'm not sure why smaller cockatoos are supposed to be "easier" large ones. I've certainly met Goffins that were quite difficult birds and large Toos that were relatively easy :shrug:

I wish you luck with Ghost and hope if you can't work it out that he finds a soft place to land. Sometimes pets just aren't a good fit despite trying everything we try to make it work. It's possible with the right environment Ghost won't be such a screamer. Perhaps he wants to be with other Toos. But I understand why bringing another Too isn't an option for you. It can be a crapshoot. I wish you both well :bluhug:
I just don't know if it will work ...I feel that if I put everyone in a bird room Ill be taking away my relationship I have built with Tyrion and Lagatha ..I don't think Tyrion would do well In a bird room at all ..he loves sitting by me while we watch TV we talk back and forth all evening ...and I would miss him so much ..he is my heart bird ...is it right to possibly hurt that relationship and him to save another ..I know how that sounds believe me it sounds bad ..but I wont hurt Tyrion I cant ..I feel so bad about this .. :(

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Try not to guilt yourself too much Annette. I can see how bummed you are about this, but try to realize that living situations change from time to time and you are doing the BEST YOU CAN with the situation at hand. I only can offer the possible option of Tyrion and Lagatha's cage maybe being on rollers, where they can stay with the Too during the day while you're at work, and for bedtime, but rolled into your living room for social interaction. I imagine you've already thought of this, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :bighug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you ..yes I'm sure Ghost would love it at your house ..it is to bad the boarders are so tight :(

Yes, it's a shame. He would do great at Bob's house. I would be willing to do a test run with him and Elvis too if it wasn't for the whole border thing.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Still waiting on a yes or no on the bird room ...They say they need time to think about it ...at least they are really thinking about it and about whats best for Ghost …My family does care about him … this is just such a hard thing to do :(

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Idk the screaming is hard to take. I’m happy to hear they’re thinking about a bird room. My umbrella came to me as a screamer and she is still going strong 18 years later. If my kids had had their way she would have been rehomed. They love her now and wouldn’t think of it but it took awhile. And honestly it got to me also. I had a smallish sunroom (kind of) built off of the kitchen with sliding glass doors and while it’s not perfect it does mute her screams. I hope things work out for u.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I certainly understand the screaming. I kind of had the opposite experience with that. I got to witness the screaming of my U2 many times before we brought him home. He was previously housed in a smaller sized glass walled bird room. His screams bounced off the walls there and were deafening. I nearly did not adopt him because I was thinking "Could I deal with this in the home?" Now he's home of course, and the screams don't seem as loud since my house is a lot more sound proof than a small glass wall bird room. That said, the screams are pretty loud. In fact, I measured them with a dB meter at 100 dB (equivalent to a loud rock concert according to a chart on google) in the living room :rofl:. That said, I'm pretty crazy sometimes too haha, so maybe its a taste of my own medicine. The screaming doesn't really bother me that much to be honest.

Tips that work for mine in those situations you described.

Screaming when I leave the room: I generally call out to him and say "Casper, I am right here, I didn't leave you crazy dude". And he sometimes stops, usually not completely but sometimes he stops completely. Or at least lowers the frequency. At first he didn't stop at all, I continue to do it and it helps.

Screaming at Supper: Yup, that happens here too. And funny thing is, he can see us sitting at the dinner table when hes on his gym in the living room. Then I saw him clicking his beak while we were eating and realized, well jeez, maybe he wants some dinner too. So before I sit down for dinner I give him some food too. If we are having something bird safe I will simply give him what we are eating. Or if we are not, then I will cut a slice of bell pepper, or mango, or something he likes. Its kind of like having a super expensive dinner at an all inclusive resort in the jungle right????!

Screaming when guests come over: He used to do this too. But I usually leave him out when guests are over. I started having guests give him a nut. He now seems to have connected guests as being valuable to him too (They are a source of his favorite nuts afterall). He now insists he crawls on every (adult) guest for loving.

I certainly see where you are coming from, and I understand why your family could be upset. If you really dont want to give him up, the screaming can certainly be less than it is now, but they are cockatoos afterall and they love to scream. Mine has a scream fest at about 7:30 every night which he knows is his bed time haha. In the mornings when he gets up, and whenever we get home and open his cage. He is out 100% of the time we are home (except for bed), so I am not sure how he would do if he was in a cage by himself when we were home. I would think not good, because I certainly wouldn't want to be locked in a cage while life is going on around me.

I guess where I am going with this is, hes a cockatoo and will always scream, albeit with some work maybe a bit less than he is now. If your family is giving you this ultimatum then it may be in his best interests to give him up to a family that can deal with it. And thats nothing to be ashamed of. In my opinion I would much rather see someone throw in the towel early on instead of stressing the bird out by living around family who don't want him there anymore. Birds are crazy animals, they can sense when someone likes them and when they don't.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@JLcribber put a link up to an article by Pamala Clark a while ago where she wrote that bird rooms were not the best place for our birds but I don't remember why. John can you post that again please?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No. Because without some kind of separate environment where they can get a handle on this problem I don't think things are going to work out. The bird is not just going to magically stop screaming without some serious human training for everyone in that house. If everyone is not behaving/doing the same thing to achieve the goal it will fail. JMEO

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Well its decided Ghost will be moving out ...but he will be going to my friends house who lives just down the street she lost her Too many yrs ago and she decided to try Ghost at her house ..he will be an only bird ...she is home all day ..she raises bata fish ...he will be living in the living room they have Frenchie Bull dogs but no cats ..Her and her husband came over last night and Ghost seemed to really like them he put on the charm and didn't even scream once while they were there ...he played with them and let them stroke him and hold him and everything ..she is going to feed him my diet of raw whole foods and everything ..I'm so happy he has this chance at a great home ..and the best part if he doesn't fit he just comes back and I try again but I have a good feeling about this I think he will do really well there ...I'm so glad she is taking him she loves her pets and looks after them well and they have the money for vet bills and to look after him well ...Ill just be gifting him to them with all his caging and toys to make it easier on Ghost for the move ...I feel much better about all this now ..still sad he has to go but I couldn't have picked a better home..Im going to get her on this forum so she can get to know all of you guys as well :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What wonderful news!
Im going to get her on this forum so she can get to know all of you guys as well :)
We'll be looking forward to welcome her here! :)

I know it's going to be hard to let go...so I'm sending you some :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: