• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Never say never ....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I really cant even say how this is making me feel but I feel just bad inside .My family is making me choose between them and Ghost .They have given it a good go of it for sure .I truly believe that .I brought him into our lives around March of last year .I did all my home work .I told my family all the pros and cons of why I wanted another bird and why a Cockatoo .But it just wasn't enough .It doesn't give you the real life living with a bird the screams 30% of the time .That screams when ever you have company . When you are eating supper . When you are out of sight most of the time .I can tune it out most of the time but they cant .And the terrible thing of it all is he is a great lil bird other wise . I hate this because I promised that I would be his forever home .I was the one who always said I would never re-home no matter what .Well when your family has said enough is enough he has to go sometimes you have to pick your human family over your animal one . So I called the rescue I got him from to see if I have to give him back to them as per contract so Im waiting for them to call me back .Im worried about finding some one who will tolerate the screaming because I have tried everything I can think of and read about in the last 1 yr 1/2 to stop it . So the person who takes him will have to be pretty special .Im so sad and defeated about this .Its been an ongoing war with my family about him .Me saying it will get better and it does ,for awhile .Then it goes and gets bad ,for awhile . My family just cant live like this any longer and no one is moving out . Ughhh I feel sick ….:sad2::sad2::sad2: 20180303_144754.jpg

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Oh no, I am really sorry to hear about this. Is screaming typical of cockatoos during the day? I have a rb2, and he's most vocal in the morning and bedtime. We have a finished basement which is where the birds are, but he screams to get my attention and when I go to work or go out, I have always said goodbye to him and my son says he's quiet unless he hears my voice. I know he's not the same kind of bird so this is why I wonder....@sunnysmom what do you think? There's also someone here who just got a second one, @faislaq !! Help!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Oh no, I am really sorry to hear about this. Is screaming typical of cockatoos during the day? I have a rb2, and he's most vocal in the morning and bedtime. We have a finished basement which is where the birds are, but he screams to get my attention and when I go to work or go out, I have always said goodbye to him and my son says he's quiet unless he hears my voice. I know he's not the same kind of bird so this is why I wonder....@sunnysmom what do you think? There's also someone here who just got a second one, @faislaq !! Help!
You don't have a problem.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
You don't have a problem.
I know....sorry I guess the point I was trying to make is he doesn't scream for no reason. And I didn't know if that's typical of the bird she has.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I really cant even say how this is making me feel but I feel just bad inside .My family is making me choose between them and Ghost .They have given it a good go of it for sure .I truly believe that .I brought him into our lives around March of last year .I did all my home work .I told my family all the pros and cons of why I wanted another bird and why a Cockatoo .But it just wasn't enough .It doesn't give you the real life living with a bird the screams 30% of the time .That screams when ever you have company . When you are eating supper . When you are out of sight most of the time .I can tune it out most of the time but they cant .And the terrible thing of it all is he is a great lil bird other wise . I hate this because I promised that I would be his forever home .I was the one who always said I would never re-home no matter what .Well when your family has said enough is enough he has to go sometimes you have to pick your human family over your animal one . So I called the rescue I got him from to see if I have to give him back to them as per contract so Im waiting for them to call me back .Im worried about finding some one who will tolerate the screaming because I have tried everything I can think of and read about in the last 1 yr 1/2 to stop it . So the person who takes him will have to be pretty special .Im so sad and defeated about this .Its been an ongoing war with my family about him .Me saying it will get better and it does ,for awhile .Then it goes and gets bad ,for awhile . My family just cant live like this any longer and no one is moving out . Ughhh I feel sick ….:sad2::sad2::sad2: View attachment 289444
Sorry to hear this. Yet again this is why parrot owners need to be in control of their life in order to have control over their birds life. I understand the family's view.

The concern now is to find a competent owner who does know how to handle a screaming bird. Tell your family you will find that person but it's going to take time. They must be willing to work with you on that because it will take a while (unless the rescue is going to take him back).

As long as you do right by the bird then it's just a hard lesson learned. This is the first of many of those adult moments that's going to define your life. I wish Ghost luck and for you to start that earnest search today.

Or you could move out and take Ghost with you.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sorry to hear this. Yet again this is why parrot owners need to be in control of their life in order to have control over their birds life. I understand the family's view.

The concern now is to find a competent owner who does know how to handle a screaming bird. Tell your family you will find that person but it's going to take time. They must be willing to work with you on that because it will take a while (unless the rescue is going to take him back).

As long as you do right by the bird then it's just a hard lesson learned. This is the first of many of those adult moments that's going to define your life. I wish Ghost luck and for you to start that earnest search today.

Or you could move out and take Ghost with you.
Well like I said I thought I did everything right to prepare for a Cockatoo and I thought I knew what the screaming was like and if I was alone I could deal with it .And I do have control over my life but when you have family living with you it becomes 2 against one very fast .But I made a decision on what I read and questions asked and I was wrong and Ghost is paying the price of going through another home .Im sick about this . But looking after my mother leaves me with no other alternative but to find the right home for him . No one knows more about the plight of the rehome situation of Cockatoos then me and even I have to do it now and it makes so ashamed of myself . That's why its so important Ghost finds the right home . I should have never adopted him in the first place but I was so sure I could handle a smaller one and there are always of "treating" screaming .Well Im here to tell you that every bird is an individual and a screamer is a very hard bird to "treat" and Cockatoos are one of the worst once they start screaming on a continual basis .And it isn't over nothing Ghost has very good reasons for screaming he thinks .Even though they may seem trivial to us humans his reasons are his own and very important . And he should have the opportunity to scream .I even thought about his own room but then just him in his own room sounded so lonely .So I thought about a partner in his own room but then I though 2 screaming Toos that's just making it worse .I do have the space for this but my family isn't even considering this at this point .Once I hear about the rescue if I can find him a home Ill post him here first and see if that special person is here . Then Ill post him on other bird sites and be strict with who gets him.I feel like Im doing something very wrong ...:sad5::sad5:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I hear you. You don't know what you're into until you're into it. It's hard to imagine. I'm sorry. :(

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm very sorry about your situation. I hope Ghost finds the perfect home. :sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry that Ghost has to move.:(I hope you can find him the perfect forever home or the rescue can take him in. This makes me so sad, as I know it does you. Poor Ghost.:sad4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry that you need to rehome Ghost. I hope you will find a wonderful new place for him. I wish that there was some way you could keep him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am so sorry about you having to re-home Ghost.

Cockatoos are screamers; Fred, my U2, can sound like a flock of seagulls, and Bandit, my BE2, has a shriek that could wake up the dead. I ignore their screams which has helped, but unlike your situation, I also live alone.

To find Ghost a home in which his screaming will be tolerated, I would suggest that you let each potential new owner listen to his screams. I had one guy who was really interested in Fred, ready to pick him up with money in hand. But the last time I talked to him on the phone he had a chance to hear Fred screaming in the background and said: "No thanks."

This will help weed out the people who just want a cool bird from the ones who are in it for the long haul.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Seriously get him his own room. You don't have to give him up. Get him his own bird room that is bird proofed. Leo is a really good boy when I'm around because I know how to take care of him but when I go to work, he often times becomes a real butt. If he hears one of the new doornobs down the hall open or close, he thinks it's me and screams or if the toilet flushes, he thinks it's me. I have a bird room that he gets put into when I'm gone and he is screaming. It is sort of not a bird room but I'm remodeling it soon into a completely bird safe room. It's only not bird safe for a couple reasons. I also wouldn't say not bird safe, I would say it's difficult to get a small parrotlet out from behind an upright piano with little nooks and crannies to hide in. There is carpet in the room, but it's coming up for tile. The carpet muffles the sound though so what I'm going to do is carpet the walls about two or three feet up. I will use a carpet that can be climbed and add little fun things to it like pockets for hiding toys and treats also with hide-y pockets. The carpet will be secured to the wall with command strips so as to not damage the walls. This will muffle the sound in the room. I suggest you get and area rug or something like that for a bird room and put him in there for birdie time out. Try and sound proof the room as much as possible and when he calms down, go and get him. It should help. He won't be lonely if you provide him with toys and activities to do. Foraging is a great way to keep your bird busy and not screaming.

I understand if this isn't a possibility for you to do, but if it is, this could help prevent your bird from having to be rehomed. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have thought of a bird room ...and I have the room but is it fair that he is the only bird that has to pretty much live in the bird room..Wont he be lonely hearing the other birds out in the living room and hes stuck in the bird room screaming his head off ..if its a viable idea I would put it on the table for my family as an option … @JLcribber what do you think ...would it make him scream more ..its about the only thing I haven't tried to fix the issue … he could have the run of the whole room or 1/2 of it at least its the size of 2 bed rooms and I think I could make it work its has a laminated floor and nothing much to bird proof … I would worry that he would get lonely all by himself ...Hmmmm….:huh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
what do you think ...would it make him scream more ..its about the only thing I haven't tried to fix the issue …
Not any less for sure. If all the birds were in that room then it would be a different story.

I'll assume there isn't much of a consistent routine right now either. Correct?

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I have thought of a bird room ...and I have the room but is it fair that he is the only bird that has to pretty much live in the bird room..Wont he be lonely hearing the other birds out in the living room and hes stuck in the bird room screaming his head off ..if its a viable idea I would put it on the table for my family as an option … @JLcribber what do you think ...would it make him scream more ..its about the only thing I haven't tried to fix the issue … he could have the run of the whole room or 1/2 of it at least its the size of 2 bed rooms and I think I could make it work its has a laminated floor and nothing much to bird proof … I would worry that he would get lonely all by himself ...Hmmmm….:huh:
I have all my birds in the bird room and some are in cages and some aren't. My conures and cockatiels are out while the parrotlets are caged since they are not bird friendly. Parrotlets are highly bird on bird aggressive. They are in big cages though. It's not about sticking your bird in there all the time. It's about giving him a space he can scream without annoying anyone. You said when he is with you he is fine so try and keep him in the same room as you on a stand that can move so it can move with you. When you are doing something that he can't chill with you, bird room. Or if you leave. Or if he is being naughty. It's a new place so it can reset his mindset. Make it a happy place full of foraging opportunities and climbing things. Toys galore. My birds don't see the bird room as bad because it's fun in there. If you think he will be lonely, you said the room was large. Put everyone in the bird room and take them out individually or in groups. That's what I do. My conures come out after dinner, Leo (goffin too) is out all day, the doves come out when there isn't anything being cooked, and the parrotlets get free roam in the bird room when the conures are out and about. My tiel speckles is either in the bird room all day or out in the house all day. It's what she feels like doing on a day to day basis. Some days she doesn't want to come out and other days she wants to. I suggest making a bird room and filling it with lots fun things to do that way it would keep your bird occupied when you can't be with him.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Not any less for sure. If all the birds were in that room then it would be a different story.

I'll assume there isn't much of a consistent routine right now either. Correct?
Oh yes there is a routine ...they get up at 8:30am and fed breakie I go to work till 3pm then ...I go out to the barn till 5:30pm ..Come home feed supper at 6pm they come out for 2-3 hours ..Then to bedtime 9pm 3/4 covered and real bedtime 10:30 Mon Tues Thurs ...Wed Sat Sun ..Same morning and bedtime routine but they normally get out during the day for a few hours unless I have an appt ..Friday same as other days of the week but they don't normally get out as I get home late that night from work ...So I would consider that a routine ...I know that a routine is good for birds so I do my best to stick to this … ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry, I wasn't on the forum this weekend and am just seeing this. Annette, if you want to pm me or even call me, I'm very happy to discuss with you and offer what advise I can give. Is there any way you can wait a bit more before taking him back to the rescue? I will have had Elvis 2 years in March. And I agree with what you said, you're never really prepared for a 'too even with all the research, etc. I even fostered Elvis for about 4 months before we adopted him and that still didn't really prepare me. LOL. We went through a really bad screaming phase with Elvis. I say "we" but it was really my fiancé. He told me Elvis would scream pretty much all day for him. And in Elvis's case, it was simply because he wanted out of his cage. But the fiancé can't let Elvis out of the cage when I'm not home- which is another story. I was pretty much at wit's end as to what to do. And started making a bird room. In the mean time, @JLcribber posted an article on screaming. I'll see if I can find it- but it basically said, don't react to the screams at all. Don't look at the bird. Don't leave the room. Even put ear plugs in if you have to. Just ignore it. Then when he's quiet, give him attention. I got the fiancé to try it and it worked. Not perfectly of course. Elvis still has his screaming times- he's a too. But he picked up on it really quickly and more often than not, I come home to the fiancé and Elvis quietly watching TV together (with Elvis in his cage). If you do try a bird room, I would put other birds in there with him. I'm sorry you're going through this. I so understand.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sorry, I wasn't on the forum this weekend and am just seeing this. Annette, if you want to pm me or even call me, I'm very happy to discuss with you and offer what advise I can give. Is there any way you can wait a bit more before taking him back to the rescue? I will have had Elvis 2 years in March. And I agree with what you said, you're never really prepared for a 'too even with all the research, etc. I even fostered Elvis for about 4 months before we adopted him and that still didn't really prepare me. LOL. We went through a really bad screaming phase with Elvis. I say "we" but it was really my fiancé. He told me Elvis would scream pretty much all day for him. And in Elvis's case, it was simply because he wanted out of his cage. But the fiancé can't let Elvis out of the cage when I'm not home- which is another story. I was pretty much at wit's end as to what to do. And started making a bird room. In the mean time, @JLcribber posted an article on screaming. I'll see if I can find it- but it basically said, don't react to the screams at all. Don't look at the bird. Don't leave the room. Even put ear plugs in if you have to. Just ignore it. Then when he's quiet, give him attention. I got the fiancé to try it and it worked. Not perfectly of course. Elvis still has his screaming times- he's a too. But he picked up on it really quickly and more often than not, I come home to the fiancé and Elvis quietly watching TV together (with Elvis in his cage). If you do try a bird room, I would put other birds in there with him. I'm sorry you're going through this. I so understand.
I just don't know what to say ...a bird room has been put on the table for my family ...they are worried about his loneliness .. like myself ...it wont work with all the birds in the room as they do not get along when they are out and have to be watched ...So I don't see how I can subject my other two to the fate of having to be locked up when he gets to be out in the same room that would not be fair ...and he could still be hurt if he goes to their cages if he is out ...he would have to be alone in the bird room or I would have to get him a friend and that is not in the cards ... This is such a cluster F ...I have also tried the quite method and reward when quite we tried that for months and he just didn't get it or I wasn't doing it right ...I would love to read that article if you can find it ...I am just heart broken over this ...my family is trying they truly are and have been for 1 1/2 yrs buy they just see no other way out ... he is just so lovely except the screaming ... :sad2: