• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Neutrino

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Yeah she has been a little butt about it lately and once i am done give her the drop she is fine like nothing is wrong. She just started fighting me on it late last week all of a sudden. Don't know what changed. I know there is a powder you can add to their food to help with anxiety and I was thinking of switching to that so I wouldn't have to keep man handling her like I do because I don't like having to do this to her two times a day. Makes me feel awful.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah she has been a little butt about it lately and once i am done give her the drop she is fine like nothing is wrong. She just started fighting me on it late last week all of a sudden. Don't know what changed. I know there is a powder you can add to their food to help with anxiety and I was thinking of switching to that so I wouldn't have to keep man handling her like I do because I don't like having to do this to her two times a day. Makes me feel awful.
Probably her tolerance ran out. She may have disliked it to start but simply tolerated it because her person was trying to get her to take it. And we know that she is extremely bonded to you.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
That could be it. I am going to do some research on the powder formula I was reading about and see if I can use that instead. I don't like having to fight with her to get her to take her meds. The little butt almost made me late for work again today. Thinks its funny for me to chase her around the house 10 minutes before I have to leave.

:banghead:

tmck3053

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Travis
To celebrate one year with the tiny robot yesterday, I groomed her little porcupine head. She was very good about it and trusted mama without any signs of anxiety. :)
I just saw this in some of the old pages - a couple of times Flip has had little spiky feathers coming in on his head. I read somewhere that normally they would sort them out when they groomed each other. What do you do with the feathers?

edit: Just read a little bit about pin feathers. This makes so much sense! Sometimes when I'm scratching Flip's head I feel these little small hard feathers and when I catch them accidentally he makes a little squeak. It never seems to bother him that much though.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just saw this in some of the old pages - a couple of times Flip has had little spiky feathers coming in on his head. I read somewhere that normally they would sort them out when they groomed each other. What do you do with the feathers?

edit: Just read a little bit about pin feathers. This makes so much sense! Sometimes when I'm scratching Flip's head I feel these little small hard feathers and when I catch them accidentally he makes a little squeak. It never seems to bother him that much though.
The darker part of the feathers are blood filled and painful for them, so be wary of those. Some birds will let you preen them in the places they can't get to. My hen is like this. Otherwise, warm baths and lots of good places to scratch themselves will sort it out.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@tmck3053 Yep, the white waxy part can be gently flaked off with your nail or something if you want to help (and your lovie lets you), but they'll manage it on their own as well. Usually by scratching with their claws or rubbing their heads on things, like @LunaLovebird mentioned. :) It's a nice bonding activity with them, though, so I try to groom them a bit when I see the pricklies come in!

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Neutrino!!! It's been ages since I was last on, so nice to see little Neut's face. :p

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Neutrino!!! It's been ages since I was last on, so nice to see little Neut's face. :p
Dang, there you are! :) How are you?

Neut-Neut is now climbing into my hand most nights. I can usually tell when she is interested because she climbs up next to her drawbridge and waits expectantly while staring at me. ;)

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Dang, there you are! :) How are you?

Neut-Neut is now climbing into my hand most nights. I can usually tell when she is interested because she climbs up next to her drawbridge and waits expectantly while staring at me. ;)

Hahah, I'm good! ;) Super glad to hear that Nuetrino is making good progress! She's such a sweety :heart:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hahah, I'm good! ;) Super glad to hear that Nuetrino is making good progress! She's such a sweety :heart:
She is such a honey, even when she's being her version of fresh. :) I think it's funny that it was so sudden - it took me more than a year to earn such trust from the wary little poplet. :cloud9: She seems much less anxious in general. Poor baby can finally really relax.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby girl came out twice tonight! First time I just offered early because she looked interested. Second time was a little before bed, again because she was staring at me and in her usual "hold me" place, but I didn't think she really felt like it. So when she stepped into my hand I was like, "Oh..! Okay...guess your mama can hold you for a bit." After all, what do you say to those big blinky eyes after the tiny birdy is already ensconced in your hand?! LOL.

I'm very surprised that she's actually wanting more cuddling. I just never know with this little fluff.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Baby girl came out twice tonight! First time I just offered early because she looked interested. Second time was a little before bed, again because she was staring at me and in her usual "hold me" place, but I didn't think she really felt like it. So when she stepped into my hand I was like, "Oh..! Okay...guess your mama can hold you for a bit." After all, what do you say to those big blinky eyes after the tiny birdy is already ensconced in your hand?! LOL.

I'm very surprised that she's actually wanting more cuddling. I just never know with this little fluff.
Awe...her is training mama quite well. Those eyes do me in too!