• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Neurology...

mooing

Moving in
Frankie (recently discovered to be diabetic) is having fits of unbalanced scratching (with beak and mostly foot). Looks very weird and neurological. I want my mom to take him to an emergency room (It's 11PM) but I don't know if they could do anything to help :( Heartbroken. What should I do? Can anyone relate and let me know what happened?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you are worried, take him to the ER. Neurological symptoms are nothing to mess around with, and can denote a major medical problem. Neurological issues require further testing usually, but they may be able to do something to make him more comfortable for the time being.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

mooing

Moving in
Almost definitely nothing poisonous, and I'm assuming it's related to hyperglycemia. He was having fits lasting a few minutes with a few minutes inbetween. He's been completely stable and easily balancing on his perch for about an hour now. I agree that he should see a vet, but only the emergency vet is open and they technically don't deal with exotics (but my vet told me one doctor has the experience and would work with Frankie) so I'm hesitant to make my mom take unless convulsions last longer than last time.

(I'm going to attach video later because internet connection has been poor)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
JMHO he needs to see a avian vet now. That to ,my untrained eye, is seizure. His blood sugar must be way off. Get him to the vet asap.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If I were you I would go in. I am not a vet and can't give medial advice. From the clip you sent it looks very serious!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I agree with @rocky'smom - the poor bird looks like it is definitely having seizures. If his blood sugar is that far off he’s really going to burn through any left in him. I can’t imagine that going on all night and having a good outcome no matter what. Please take him to the vet!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would say that looks like seizure activity. I've never experienced a bird having seizures, but something I learned when my last dog had seizures is that the body temp can rise rapidly during a seizure. If it rises too much, it can actually cause brain damage. And if he goes into status epilepticus (which is having seizures one after another without a break) it can lead to death.

Please get him to a vet ASAP. In most scenarios, I'd say wait for an avian vet, but if you were to wait on this I would worry that he may not make it till morning.

If you can, write down each time he has this behavior and when. And show the vet that video, that will be helpful in diagnosing him.

I wish you the best of luck:hug8:

mooing

Moving in
Thank you all so much for your concern, it means a lot to me :xflove:
Me and my mom have decided to end his pain today, because he has so many complex issues going on. I hope everyone understands my decision. Thank you all again.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:sadhug2:So sorry.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sorry.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So sorry....sometimes it's just not easy.

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
I’m so sorry :(

May he fly at the rainbow bridge and RIP.