• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Netherland Dwarf or Dutch Rabbit?

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
I'm just wondering which would make the better pet. Also, would male or female be better? I do plan on getting either sex/breed spayed or neutered. When should I spay or neuter the rabbit? Is there a certain age that is the best time to get it done? What are the characteristics of each breed?

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
all the netherland dwarfs I have met have been nervous feisty little things. I much prefer big calm bunnies. Have you thought of a french lop? they're awesome. And in my experience males have always been more mellow than females. and when they're neutered they become even calmer if done at a younger age. I believe I got my bumbles neutered when he was around 3-5 months old.

eleni

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Eleni (Ellen)
When it comes to rabbits, ALL breeds make great pets. Although some people will make distinctions and say for example that dwarfs tend to be more skittish and lops are more laid back, my personal experience is that despite breed, all rabbits have equal potential to be great companions. Frankly, most rabbit people will tell you that for the most part these "breed differences" are a myth. While in dogs and cats breed certainly makes a difference, in rabbits it really doesn't. It's more about the individual bunnies personality than the breed. The only thing truly different between rabbit breeds is outward appearance. As for male vs female- it's irrelevant in terms of "pet quality", assuming of course that they are spayed/neutered.

That being said, from your post it sounds like you are planning to buy a rabbit? I would strongly strongly encourage you to consider adoption. I am very passionate about this topic and I think this flyer nails it perfectly:
image.jpg

Just to sum it up:
-He or she will be vet checked and healthy
-You will be saving his or her life, plus freeing up space on the rescue for another bunny to be saved
-The volunteers at the rescue know the bunnies very well and can match you with a rabbit whose personality matches you perfectly
-He or she will already be spayed and neutered, saving you up to $400
-They will always be there to help! Always!!
-There are so many choices, so chances are they will have plenty of different looks and personalities to choose from

I hope you will consider giving your local rabbit rescue a try :)

If you are not sure where your local rescue is, you can check the official website of the house rabbit society at Www.rabbit.org. They also have tons of helpful info about rabbit care, so it's a great website for all rabbit owners!

Best of luck! :hug8:

Kay_belle_12

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I think either would make a great pet. I've always loved the look of Dutch rabbits. My Henry is just a mutt bunny. He is amazing. I got him neutered when he was 5 months old. I think going to a rabbit rescue and picking a rabbit that you really click with would be a great idea!

birdle

ahaha! I guess I am that "some people" huh. :cool:

eleni

Real Name
Eleni (Ellen)
ahaha! I guess I am that "some people" huh. :cool:
Sorry, I did not read your comment before I wrote my post. However, you are not alone! Which is why I wrote what I did- I have heard many people say that :) However, from speaking with people who have been keeping, rescuing, or treating rabbits for 30+ years (longer than I've been alive! Lol) they say it simply isn't true. Since my personal experience has also not shown any differences, I figured I'd share that input, as it's a lesser heard, yet valid perspective for the OP to take under consideration.

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Yes I do plan on getting him/her at a rescue...... Although my local animal shelter does not neuter or spay their rabbits. I don't have a rescue close enough to me but I have a local humane society that is about an hour away.

eleni

Real Name
Eleni (Ellen)
Yes I do plan on getting him/her at a rescue...... Although my local animal shelter does not neuter or spay their rabbits. I don't have a rescue close enough to me but I have a local humane society that is about an hour away.
That really sucks they don't spay/neuter them- I guess then it's an unavoidable expense on your part. But it's really nice of you to still consider adoption with the places being so far from you :)

birdle

that's great!! i love bunnies. I guess we will have to agree to disagree as ime there are some definite differences between breeds, not all, but some. I used to volunteer at the rabbit rescue of yolo county thru the yspca and have encountered many bunnies. Also when I neutered my bunny it was really expensive, almost $300 which is more than a dogs neuter where I'm at but maybe rabbits are harder to operate on. So it would probably be a convenience to have an already fixed bunny and I've seen it becoming a lot more common these days to do that so check your local craiglist :)

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Yeah... I think I am going to wait until one pops up on the humane society website. They get them quite often. :( Poor things, getting passed around from home to home... I wish people would just OPEN THEIR EYES and realize that if you just want something that's cute and fluffy, get a stuffed animal! :banghead: I don't know about anyone else on here, but I research any animal I plan on getting/rescuing for at LEAST 4 or 5 months. And I still think that's not enough time to get all of the information available out there. (But hey, we're always learning)

eleni

Real Name
Eleni (Ellen)
Yeah... I think I am going to wait until one pops up on the humane society website. They get them quite often. :( Poor things, getting passed around from home to home... I wish people would just OPEN THEIR EYES and realize that if you just want something that's cute and fluffy, get a stuffed animal! :banghead: I don't know about anyone else on here, but I research any animal I plan on getting/rescuing for at LEAST 4 or 5 months. And I still think that's not enough time to get all of the information available out there. (But hey, we're always learning)
Agreed! I think you will do well with whatever bunny you end up picking :) Good luck & keep us updated.

Einstein'sMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Monica
Agreed! I think you will do well with whatever bunny you end up picking :) Good luck & keep us updated.
Oh, most definitely! I may be getting one from a "friend" that has WAY too many animals and the poor thing is in the cage that's made for rats and guinea pigs. Whichever rabbit I end up getting/rescuing, I will be litter training it in hopes that it can become a house rabbit and can have free roam of the house! :)

eleni

Real Name
Eleni (Ellen)
Oh, most definitely! I may be getting one from a "friend" that has WAY too many animals and the poor thing is in the cage that's made for rats and guinea pigs. Whichever rabbit I end up getting/rescuing, I will be litter training it in hopes that it can become a house rabbit and can have free roam of the house! :)
Aw, poor thing :( But yes, having them litter trained is wonderful! Luckily, most of them pick it up fairly quickly. Precious lives in a large puppy pen but she comes out for around 3-4 hours a day, and it's lovely that she gets to be out with us and we get to watch her run and play, and also sit down and cuddle with us for a movie/show and we don't have to worry about any "accidents" :hehe: You will really enjoy having him/her around and about :)

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Don't know if you've got your bunny get already, but our first and only rabbit is a dutch. He's the sweetest little rabbit.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Male, neutered, Netherland Dwarf. The sweetest cutest bun bun ever~ Elliot :heart:

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Just saw this...I have had a couple of different rabbits over the years...I will say spaying or neutered really helps...my last rabbit was a blue dutch...he was a really sweet boy. He lived to be 12. I did get him neutered at about 6 months. Girls can be a bit territorial if they are not spayed. I have 3 guinea pigs now..thought I would go with something with a shorter life span. I do miss my bunny...told myself he
was going to be my last one...