• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nervous about putting my caique in boarding

Caique-Walk

Meeting neighbors
I am completely not present at the moment... so i was wondering if people would be able to help calm my mind.

This is still a long while off but I am completely and utterly nervous about leaving my little boy. I will be going away in August for a month to Alaska for a cruise. During this period there will be no one in the house to look after my caique, so I have started to look into boarding.

What are your experiences with boarding? What should I expect? Or any extra tips...? Anything that helps ease and set my mind right.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I board my GW, Jasper, at her vet's. I figure that they know her well, know how to care of her and if there are any emergencies they can take care of it right away. I've never had a problem.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know quite a few members here board. Another option is pet sitter if you're comfortable with having someone in your house.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also board at my vet. I use my own cage.

Make sure you have your birds own food and plenty of toys to kill.

Also, ask where (in the facility they are boarded). Big bird in big bird room and small with small. And most important, separate from cats/dogs.

Ask if they'll send you periodic updates? My vet office sent me a text of Leto twice in the week he was boarded last time. It gave me peace. I was definitely more anxious that the parrot ;)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I board with my vet. :) They know my birds and if they have any questions, they just call and ask. I know most of the techs there and they're so sweet. They love playing with the boarders and often post the fun on FB.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would look at boarding at the vet or with a trusted friend who knows birds. I understand the separation anxiety! Everytime I arrange a trip, I dread leaving my little ones! I would not leave him alone in the house, even with someone coming by. I would definitely take him to a vet or friend where he has companionship. If you are in AZ, I might be able to watch him for you.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have had friends come in to feed. You have to really know your friends. One claimed to be to sick to go feed. A different friend took it upon herself to go feed them instead.

Then I had a non-bird person offer to feed for me. That went well but made me very nervous.

It is impossible for me to farm mine out, there are too many. Usually I just don’t travel.