• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nekton-Lori Diet

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Does anyone know anything about the Nekton-Lori nectar diet? I read nothing but good things, but the woman I got Maui from had some concerns about it, something about glucose? However, Nekton-Lori instructions say it is a complete diet for lorikeets and can provide all nutrients needed as a stand alone diet(though, I would also prefer to feed fruit and veggies in addition to it). She said the Zupreem Lory pellets were the best with nectar only being given a few times a week, as a treat. She reasoned that their poop was far too liquidy on a nectar diet and was worried about glucose levels. :/ I thought liquid poop was a part of having lories...

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't agree with pellets for lorikeets at all. They need the nectar diet. I also give mine fruit and some puréed veggies. If you have a lorikeet you have to accept their liquid poop. The thought of using pellets to change the way nature has designed them to eat and poop really seems wrong to me.

I don't know anything about that brand of nectar, but thats prob because I'm in Oz. The one I use is Wombaroo Lorikeet & Honeyeater, given as a wet mix.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I don't own a lori, so someone with more insight may chime in differently and correct me, but:

Glucose, fructose, and sucrose are all easily digested and converted into energy by lorikeets. I highly doubt the presence (or percentage) of glucose in the diet plays much (if any) role in the consistency of the poop. Their poop is watery because they consume nectar, not because of any digestive intolerance to the sugars contained therein. Perhaps she is confused and comparing to the digestive systems of humans (who metabolize the types of sugars differently) or other birds, which lack the enzymes to break down foreign sugars (like lactose), which can draw water from the intestines and lead to diarrhea?

Sounds like she just doesn't like watery poop and is trying to justify keeping her birds on a primarily dry diet.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
@TWR Thanks, that's what I thought, her advise seemed a little bizarre to me so I wanted to be certain. Nekton is a nectar I've had imported from Germany.

@painesgrey I don't think she meant the glucose had anything to do with their liquid, she knew the nectar does because it's a wet diet, but she said they needed a certain amount of glucose and that Zupreem pellets had the most. It just seemed like really bizarre advise and conflicted with my research. I always read that lories, aside from Irises, live on a nectar diet, no pellets, have liquid poo that gets everywhere, and have a fast metabolism. Never read anything about glucose.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The Nekton diet seems good and as per above with the pellets, not good IMO to change nature.

They are high energy birds with a high energy diet and sloppy poops. Not going to change mine for convenience for sure. :)

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
@JAM What about Blessing's? I've been asking in other areas and others have said blessings is also very good.

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
I would check out Blessings and Roudybush. From what I have heard they are the best ones out there right now :) Blessings makes the nectar but they also make a fruit gel and a powder. The powder they actually take it and dip it in the water to make their own nectar.

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
ive used Nekton. I give him Paswell during the day . my lorikeet loves to make a mess with this, he dips it in his water. Then in the evening ive been giving him some nekton because i dont like to leave that out in the cage all day, i find he doesnt eat it once it goes cold. But i could never bring myself to just give him nekton as he loves other things too...loves his apple...corn..purree veges mixed with apple puree..saltanas....veges are tricky..hes not big on them. but i agree..pellet... i have some of those zupreem.. but he just kind of rolls the around on his tonuge and spits them out. :)