• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Needing advice

Tracey Pauly

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tracey
Hi this is the first time I have posted and I'm not even sure if this is where I should post. My beautiful boy oska is a indian ringneck he is 5 months old when I got him he was quite stressed and had pulled out all his tail feathers he is alot more relaxed with me since I got him 2 months ago, but everytime one of his tail feathers start growing back he breaks it or snaps it but I've noticed tonight he is bleeding a little bit not heaps but enough to make me worry any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
May I suggest that you take the bird to an avian veterinary surgeon, as it sounds as if it could be an underlying issue causing the problem.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I second taking him to the vet. In the meantime, if the tail feather is still bleeding you can apply pressure and/or corn starch to stop the bleeding

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I second taking him to the vet. In the meantime, if the tail feather is still bleeding you can apply pressure and/or corn starch to stop the bleeding
Oska is breaking blood feathers in his tail. IRNs are very protective of their tail feathers...at least to the world. ;) No one could EVER touch Titan's beloved (by him) tail...but he casually swing his tail against the sides of his very large cage all the time....and yes, he would break blood feathers, which would cause some bleeding.

@sparklepupp has the right idea about stopping the immediate bleeding...and also consulting to your vet about the situation...:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So what have you done?