• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need to upgrade?

LunaBeachHouse

Moving in
Hello! Since my friend's budgies both died, she's going to get some more soon.
What I'm wondering is if this is a good cage size for two budgies, if not I'll advise against them using this cage for there next ones. :) (they will take out the dowel perches as to not cause bumblefoot)

Here's the current cage: You & Me Parakeet Ranch House Cage, Brown | Petco

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. Are they out of the cage a lot? If so, the cage is ok but there isn't a lot or room for 2 Budgies and some toys to keep them from being bored, if they spend most of their time in the cage.

LunaBeachHouse

Moving in
Hi. Are they out of the cage a lot? If so, the cage is ok but there isn't a lot or room for 2 Budgies and some toys to keep them from being bored, if they spend most of their time in the cage.
They will be out of the cage a lot after they are tamed, one thing I'm concerned about is how long it will take to tame them, the other budgies never got tamed, because she only had them for a couple months. they died from some kind of sickness because they couldn't get them to the vet in time.
i am doing more taming research for her :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Flight cages are awesome. My guys use every inch of their cage throughout the day. They zip around, play with toys, forage, chat and sing. So I would definitely suggest a nice big flight cage, plus each bird has its own space so should limit any squabbling. Means you can put more toys in and some more perches in too.

Budgies are small but very active. Though for flight cages I recommend a wider than taller cage as birds fly across not straight up. The original cage is good for a hospital or transport cage though, so it won't go to waste.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That cage is definitely too small plus it has "guillotine doors". Avoid cages with lift up doors but if your friend gets a cage with those it's a good idea to zip tie them.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
As the others, I think this is too small. When I got my guys, they came with a cage about that size and I really felt bad for them but they had to wait for me to build them a nice wooden one.
Also, if your friend wants tame birds, I'd suggest she starts with one and tame him/her first, then consider a second baby one after 6 months to one year when the first is really tame and can show the new one how to behave as a tame bird. When I got mine they were two, bought them from an old lady who had bought them on impulse in a pet shop. She had been told they were both 8 weeks but although Tikki was, Merlin was an adult already. Tikki was interested in us but Merlin was scared/not interested and wouldn't let Tikki be tamed. When they are 2 they are much more interested in each other than is humans, thus Tikki never got tame. He died this summer so we got a new one in October, and it is the same thing, she goes to Merlin and wouldn't hear a thing about being tame, although she was used to being handled by the breeder, since she is out of quarantaine there is only Merlin for her. Actually, when he was alone (between Tikki's death and Nova's arrival) he was getting more tame, being on his own with us, but he lost it when Nova arrived. One bird is the thing if you want tame birds!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

NitroCola

Moving in
Real Name
(Alias)Hannah
I think thats too small. The reason why is because budgies fly horizontally, not vertically.