• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need to rehome B&G

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Because my pulmonologist says it is too risky to keep parrots due to a recent serious reaction in my lungs, we are having to rehome a 20 yo tame B&G male with his stainless steel cage and supplies. We had just bought him about 6-8 weeks ago. Just putting him on here in case anyone is near me and is interested. We traveled a distance just for him. He's a funny guy and rather quiet. He does call out about 1-2 times a week. Only lasting a couple of seconds. This is good because he has an unfortunate singing voice.

We live next to Omaha NE.

We do have 2 other birds but since we are already bonded, we are rehoming the newest one first in hopes to cause less upset in his life..

sherri

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that you need to rehome. Hope you find a wonderful new home for him.
Hope that things get better with your respiratory issues.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry you have to rehome him.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Sorry to hear that you have to rehome him, I hope he finds a soft place to land and I hope you feel better soon.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I am doing better after the initial illness, and we have since segregated them from me and they are on their own air system so their air and my air do not mix. Still on high dose steroids, for the 3-4th week, have been coming down on the level of oxygen. Was on 10 liters, now during the day I am on 6-7 and 10 at night. The hard part is, we are not positive what has caused this. But like so many things, once you tell your pulmonologist you have birds, it is automatically them that is the cause, not all the flooding and mold count that happened at the same time I got so sick. Have had all kinds of fowl for many years, cleaning barns etc with no issue. Suddenly bam. Oh well. Life is a strange journey.

The blessing is, this house has a separate HVAC system for the addition to the house, so we can take our time to find the right homes. And Larry spends a lot of time back there with them making toys, talking to them, foodies, etc. I do miss them. I get to hear them chattering at least. Silly buggers.

sherri

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnoses, Sharri. That is really rough. Medical crap is HE double hockey sticks. Menopause is an ongoing HE double hockey sticks for me, so I understand the frustration and pain you must be going through. Almost a decade of ridiculous symptoms and stupid crap has made me a different person than I was.
I hope that you find a home for your precious one. I'm sad now.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
So after being gone for a month, no improvement in my lungs and my heart is also taking its toll. We did find a most wonderful home for Baloo, but now comes the time for us to rehome our precious Koko, a 30 yo female B&G who is so gentle, sweet, and rarely every does anything wrong. And Rio, our 2 1/2 yo male Goffins who is so entertaining, 50% sweet and 50% ornery!

We had meant to have our parrots for our lifetime, we just never imagined mine would be here so fast. Appears I now need a heart and lung transplant and because of the complexity, only a few facilities will even look at me. We have tried everything we could to keep them, but no facility would consider transplanting me if we had any birds anywhere in our home, no matter how separated they are from me. And we have not fully decided if we actually want a transplant. We are using this time to find the right fits for our fids. so if you know of anyone close to us, or maybe not so close but willing to travel... as I cannot due to being too ill.

No pity allowed, just trying to find wonderful homes for wonderful birds. We really lucked out when we bought these two. We were rather ignorant, studied hard, and these two parrots evolved into wonderful pets that have provided our home with entertainment, love, and in the beginning, a lot of frustrations as we tried to reach, reassure, and teach these two about trust and love.

sherri

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I wish I lived closer and was rich...I would take them in a heart beat (though I am sure my husband would be the ornery one!). I hope someone special can take them in for you soon!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:sadhug2:

I hope you find wonderful homes for them. So sorry for all that you're going through. (Have you looked into the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center? It's pretty renowned for transplants.)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So sorry for everything you are going through, Sherri!
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No pity allowed, just trying to find wonderful homes for wonderful birds. We really lucked out when we bought these two. We were rather ignorant, studied hard, and these two parrots evolved into wonderful pets that have provided our home with entertainment, love, and in the beginning, a lot of frustrations as we tried to reach, reassure, and teach these two about trust and love.

sherri
No pity, but I wish you tremendous strength and courage because no one deserves these things. The courage and selflessness you're showing now is very inspiring.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope you manage to find the perfect home for your babies (who sound just delightful) and I wish you all the luck finding that fit. Best wishes for you and all your flock and family :)

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I hope you find wonderful homes for them. So sorry for all that you're going through. (Have you looked into the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center? It's pretty renowned for transplants.)
Pittsburgh is gorgeous and would love to spend a 5 month vacation there!

My team is trying to find a facility that will accept my case. Apparently because of the PH and the HP... bahahahaha... never noticed that! One is pulmonary hypertension which I inherited and the other is the hypersensitivity pneumonitis that simply will not resolve, no matter what the Drs and we try. I need both a heart and lung and having gotten so bad so fast, not many transplant facilities will accept me. We have one here in Omaha Ne and they do a great job with many kinds of transplants, and it would be wonderful if I could stay here and have that happen, however, it is believed that I am too high risk and my best bet is AZ where they tend to take high risk heart and lung patients. The problem with being so far away, is finding caregivers that can travel there to be with me. I just don't know that many bored people!! And I can't fly, and traveling is difficult with such high oxygen and problems with edema. I am on 10 lnc at rest so we will see what happens. And maybe I am not supposed to have a transplant. I just don't get to see the future.

We have met a wonderful couple who are interested in both our birds and they are returning to meet them for the second time this Sunday. So we are hopeful. Yes, tearful and angry that we have to give them up, but hopeful that this couple will do a wonderful job. Both our parrots have made wonderful leaps and bounds in bettering their behaviors and developing confidence. They have brought us much joy and laughter, and sometimes frustrations and tears. And many of you helped us through all of our times of hormones and bad behaviors when we were at our wits ends. We are grateful.

Its hard to imagine our lives without our fids. But it simply needs to be. Never imagined wanting pooping birds in the house. Now I am not sure how we ever thought our lives were fulfilled without them. I do hope we are making the right decision.

There is much to keep my mind occupied these days, with all that is going on in our politics and country.

Thank ALL of your for your kindness.

sherri.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Clueless