• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need suggestions about cages?

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone,
Hope ya'll are doing well. Firstly I'm going to get them their big flight cage then after few months I'll get one small flight cage. So feather parents please help me into this by giving your suggestions. My little feather friends and I'll appreciate it much. I AGREE that bird cage shopping is the hardest thing ever.

Prevue Hendryx f040 Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
This cage is my favorite 80% as I've been reading that the quality is no where near A&E or HQ flight cage and the door locks that it doesn't have like the other flight cages. So how do you guys manage to pick up/hold your budgie if you need to take them for vet visits etc and they aren't trained? I know that I'm going to buy A&E or HQ flight cage but just wanted to know that do you like/prefer this cage over HQ or A&E cages? Is it really worth to buy?

Does anyone of you have this cage? HQ Tall Flight Bird Cage 32x21 - by BirdsComfort.com I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this cage as I've to measure my room's doorway to see if this can easy to move around the apartment or not. Just wanted to know about this cage beforehand.

Okay I've been liking and suggested these two cages that I'm going to get to replace their small cage in future after getting their new flight cage. I'll use this type of cage to separate the bird that gets sick etc. Does anyone has one of these cages?

1) One person says on amazon.com that even the bar spacing of this cage is 1/2 but still the bars are way too apart? Amazon.com : HQ's Opening Victorian Parrot Cage with Cart Stand, Small, Platinum, 1 Per Box : Platium Bird Cage : Pet Supplies

2) Amazon.com : HQ's Opening Scroll Cage, Small Parrot Cage With Cart Stand, 1 Per Box, 22x17x55"H, Black.. : Bird Cage : Pet Supplies

3) King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Thanks everyone.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is the cage I have my two budgies in. It is a nice cage for the price and there have been so issues. Bar spacing is 1/2 inch with lots of room for decorating. Only thing I did not care for is that the cage comes with plastic food dishes so I bought SS ones. Price included delivery and the shipper puts a free toy inside. Scroll down on the page to view the cage.

A&E Flight Cage and Stand. Perfect for Cockatiels, Parakeets, & all Small birds! | eBay

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I have the Prevue flight cages (the larger 050 model) and I absolutely LOVE them, and would recommend them to anyone.

They are large, sturdy, easy to build and easy to clean. The tray and grate on the bottom slide out and are easy to clean. There's LOTS of room for toys and perches and dishes. I love the fact that it comes with wheels, so it's easy to move around and vacuum underneath or move the cage to another room or outside in the nice weather.

It has plenty of doors for easy access to anywhere in the cage. The doors on the side are spring loaded. I never actually use these doors unless I'm re-arranging toys and perches. I use the two front doors to change food and water dishes.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice with the wall protected but don't like plastic food dishes.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Nice with the wall protected but don't like plastic food dishes.
This cage came with two plastic food dishes, that I didn't like either. I ended up swapping them out for these current food dishes that I do like. I have about 20 of them, LOL, and they get clean ones morning and night.
If stainless steel is more your style, then that's great too. There's lots of options out there for SS dishes, and i'm sure you won't have a problem using them in this cage.

@PoukieBear How do you manage to take them out of their cage for vet visits etc or to take them out for sunglight? TIA :confused::blink::what:
Easy, "step up" :) Most of them are hand tame, and the few that aren't I just gently catch with a towel.
The bird room has lots of natural light, and I don't even use curtains on the window. The cages are also on wheels, so it's super easy to just roll them outside through the sliding glass doors to our back patio.

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
@PoukieBear UV rays doesn't pass through those windows so they're not getting the Vita D and without those important rays that sunlight isn't doing anything for them. Even us human's vita D levels can drop because of not getting enough of those UV rays. Make sure you take them out for natural sunlight in their small travel cage maybe if you have any so their feather, bones and overall health can improve better and they stay healthy. :)

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
@PoukieBear UV rays doesn't pass through those windows so they're not getting the Vita D and without those important rays that sunlight isn't doing anything for them. Even us human's vita D levels can drop because of not getting enough of those UV rays. Make sure you take them out for natural sunlight in their small travel cage maybe if you have any so their feather, bones and overall health can improve better and they stay healthy. :)
During the summer they do get lots of outside time, as long as the weather cooperates. Winter time is a different story though. Canadian winters mean budgies don't get outside time. I'll have to look into getting a UV light for the birdroom, any suggestions on a good one?

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
@PoukieBear Not know any good suggestions about that as I take mine outside for sunlight. Not sure but I think I'll also have to get one of these for winter but here's the link: Amazon.com : FeatherBrite 20 Watt Full-Spectrum Bulb : Pet Supplies Many budgie's/parakeet's fb group recommended/suggested me this as they said ZooMed isn't good for birds and this one is good one for birds. So hope this helps. :)