• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some info

Status
Not open for further replies.

crownpoint78

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Andrea
Hello everyone I am thinking about adopting a Umbrella Cockatoo , she is young and she is missing her breast feathers so would she be a plucker forever? Is she under stress or maybe in a bad envoriment? I am very undecided any info on this would be great. Thanks Andrea

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think you should move this into rehome highway ..this is the technical area....many many toos pluck fora variety of reasons..before you adopt any too, go to mytoos.com and check it out....see then if you still want a too..of all the birds, they are the most demanding , the loudest, and the most abandoned...they can be so rewarding once in the proper home...good luck

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Andrea I have moved your thread so you will get more help.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Hello everyone I am thinking about adopting a Umbrella Cockatoo , she is young and she is missing her breast feathers so would she be a plucker forever? Is she under stress or maybe in a bad envoriment? I am very undecided any info on this would be great. Thanks Andrea
Once they start plucking, it can get hard to get them to stop. What you would need to do is provide her with a very large cage, lots of toys, and especially foraging toys. Get her thinking. Most birds pluck out of boredom, so if you can keep her busy, she is less likely to pluck. You would also need to get her checked out by an avian vet to rule out any medical issues.
And make sure you do A LOT of research on cockatoos before you get her. They are one of the most difficult to keep and the most rehomed species out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.