• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some info kinda quick

Ryan_M

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Hey I'm new here and need some help probably pretty quickly, as in I don't think I have time to do my own homework.

I went to finish up building my shed this afternoon that I didn't get done last fall. I noticed in an opening that there was signs there was birds there, i.e. bird crap. Shortly after there were a couple birds hovering around obviously not happy I was there. I'm not knowledgeable on birds but from looking at pics I'm pretty sure they were grackles.

I didn't hear anything so I assumed there were no chicks and maybe they were just starting to build a nest in my shed. I explored in the shed to see what they were up to and came across a nest with a chick in it, maybe two? It was just a ball of fluff - very young. Unfortunately I disturbed the nest and everything around it to get at that area. I backed out but I noticed one of the birds sat around the area for a while and then took off, I didn't see them back. So maybe they abandoned it?

If they did abandon the chicks I have no idea how long they can survive without support. Maybe over night is too long so this may not matter but I have a problem with doing nothing and letting them die. So lets assume that there are some very young grackle chicks that I need to keep alive... what do I do? What do they eat? It sounds stereotypical (but since I really don't know birds) can I dig up some worms for them to eat?

Thanks for any help,
Ryan

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry I don't know too much about grackles but found this thread Rescued Grackle | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum It might help you. Best of luck with it. The forum isn't that active during night time over North America anyway. But it is very friendly and helpful. So hopefully in the morning you'll get people here who know more than me posting. Hopefully the parents will come but I don't know how long you should wait for that to happen. Sorry I wish I could help you more

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Also where are you from? Just your state or province will do. There maybe a good wildlife rehabilitation place near you. Some one here may be able to help you find a place

Ryan_M

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Hi Sarah, thanks for chiming in! Oshawa is probably the easiest to google map for my location... about 30km east of Toronto. I've been doing some intensive googling on what to do and it seems people finding chicks are finding them much older than what I was looking at. I'm guessing these are a couple days old max. I don't have everything handy to make a meal for them. Seems the man made diet is cat food, hard boiled eggs with ground shells for calcium and meal worms. On hand I have dog food, eggs are easy, but I don't get meal worms as part of a regular grocery shop. Of course I can get the required ingredients if needed but I don't have the stuff right now.

Thanks again!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We have another person in the Toronto area come here with a rescue grackle. Here's the thread Grackles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

They had a good experience with the Toronto Wildlife Center. If you're able to get there that maybe your best bet. Hand feeding baby birds can be very tricky and sadly there's lots that can go wrong. Especially with them being so young :(

Good luck with it all and please keep us updated :) Thank you for wanting to help them

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know it's the middle of night but is there any way to check on them? If the parents aren't back it's possible they might not make it through the night. Sorry it just dawn on me that baby birds need to stay warm. I wish I knew more that's all I really know. Its horrible desicion to make to pull such young birds and I don't envy you. It is a tough spot to be in

Last edited:

Ryan_M

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Yes I can go check on them. It's going to get chilly here but not too cold overnight... 13°C which is I think about 55°F or so in american. Whats the best option here? Do i just bring the nest in and put it in a cardboard box or something? If I do bring them in they will probably be hungry AF if the parent did bail on them. As mentioned I don't have the stuff handy for a proper meal but maybe enough to fill their bellies until I can get what I need.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's such a difficult call to make. If you do take them in I go with boiled egg with the shell grounded egg shell. And the egg shell should really grounded like turn into a powder. And I'd put them in box or something with old blanket or t shirt or something. Stay away from towel thou. As they can get their feet caught in the little hoops. I'm sorry wish I could be more helpful

Ryan_M

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Don't be sorry. It's way better advice then what I was expecting at this time of night! I have no idea what I'm doing - or should do. I'm thinking if I go out there and the parents are there then I walk away, if not they are coming in side and I'll make them something to eat as best I can. Still not sure how the wife will react with what will be waiting in the kitchen in the morning.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If you bring them in try and keep them nice and warm. You could put the under a lamp or something. Don't be afraid to cover them up with a blanket. Just try and make a little air pocket. They use to being sat on so did suffocation shouldn't be a concern :)

Ryan_M

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Well good news. I went out to check on the nest, moved stuff out of the way to access it and I got dive bombed by an angry parent. So not abandoned!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh good that's awesome!! :)

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran