• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some help pls

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
this is pictures of our G2 maggie. She’s been very itchy lately. I give her baths 3 times a week. Mainly under her wings. Does this look like plucking to you?

Attachments

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
The last picture is the after math of what comes off her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If not plucking, some barbering. it looks like you can see the broken feather shafts she is leaving in her skin.

3 times a week under her wings may actually be contributing to the problem, particularly if it's dry in your home .

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
It does look like she's picking a bit - it looks like some open feather follicles to me, which makes me think she may have plucked a few. Some others look a bit ratty, more like barbering. The bits on your jeans suggest that as well. When my girl seems "itchy" like this, after I shower her I put a bit of argan oil directly on her skin. Just a bit and I do try to keep it off her feathers as much as I can. It seems to have helped. I also keep a close eye on that area and re-do the treatment if she seems at all irritable. The argan oil I use is a pure form I got from Beecrowbee, but I imagine some other natural oil (almond, coconut, walnut...) would also do the job.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Looks like some barbering and picking going on.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Pulling small bits off of a feather, rather than pulling the entire feather. Those feathers end up looking moth eaten. I see some feathers fitting this description in your 1st and 3rd pictures.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Just my opinion but it looks like both barbering and plucking.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
These pictures are of the underwing. There aren't very many feathers under the wing naturally. Skin is always easily visible. There's a few new sprouts under there but nothing alarming in my 40 years of experience. If this is the only area you see this its not plucking. What do the rest of the body feathers look like?

Are these baths 3 times a week "voluntary" or are you making her take a bath. If voluntary it's not problem. If you're forcing it then it is a problem. Or will be. Cockatoos are naturally dusty. The dustier they are, the healthier they are. Bathing will actually "promote" the dust.

You say your bird is itchy. This is a human construct. Birds preen a vast majority of the time. What looks like itching is actually just preening.

How old is this bird?

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
@JLcribber she is 4.5 years old. It is only under her wings on her body not the wing it’s self. I physically give her the bath
Under very warm water. She enjoys it but has never been one to just get in the water her self. We live in Indiana and our weather is chilly in the winter so our heat inside our home is on.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your bird's underwings look just like my bird's underwings. There's nothing wrong with my birds.

4.5 years old is a fully mature "young adult" so hormones will be a factor at some point.