• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do my best to ignore the screaming which is what you are supposed to do. Ear buds and music are helpful but sometimes....:eek: My bird assistants don't enjoying the screaming either :D and they will tell the 'toos to "Stop it" with a few even naming the screaming 'too. That's my fault of course.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Since being on this site I have fallen in love with cockatiels. I always just thought they were untamed cage birds that have no personality. But boy was I wrong
I think they are the best pet bird there is!

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
So something amazing happened tonight lol! Charlie was in his cage about 830ish. I got the kids into bed. And then about 930, I put the blanket half on Charlie's cage and headed outside for a quick smoke since my cousin had showed up! We were outside a good ten minutes .When we came through the front door .Charlie was standing on the love chairs arm with the dog sleeping beside him! I almost had a heart attack! Lol. He managed to open his cage, climb out and down. Jumped on to a wooden chair. Then jumped on to my couch ran across it, jumped on to the love chair, ran to the other side and perched on the arm! I ran around asking everyone if they let out Charlie. I was confused because he's out all day long , and has never came down off his cage ! Anyways my fiance offered his arm and Charlie stepped up and came and sat between us and soaked up all the scratchea and love! Then when my fiance had left the room. He came on my leg and let me contuine to pet him! Then he went down to the floor to explore .then he jumped up on me and I put him on the arm of the chair and sat there for about thirty mins talking to him, scratching and cheering on his dance moves! I could of sat there all night with him but since it was such a surpirse and he never tried to bite me once, I figured I'd end it on a good note! He may never do that again for a few months, but I think he has decidied to like me a little bit more tonight! So I am really happy!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here are my screaming tips :)

How I Dealt With a Screaming Bird – Parrot 1-2-3
How Small Changes Can Have Big Impacts – Parrot 1-2-3

I have an untame quaker. He won't step up for nothing lol. I only feed inside the cage so when he is hungry he goes back, and then I can close the door after him. If you have a specific time you need him back in, take all food away for an hour or two before, and then offer it 10 minutes before you need him to be "home". Then as soon as he steps foot inside the cage, say "home". He will eventually learn that home is his cage, and so I can just say GO HOME! to both my birds and get them to go to their cages 95% of the time. Occassionally they are really not having it and so I break out a high value treat (for mine it is baby food puree) OR I simply turn out the lights for 5-10 minutes where their cages are and they will make it home to roost :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely you always give some of the best advice/tips! Thank you! I'm going to start feeding inside the cage and not outside !

:heart: Good luck! You'll find your groove. Usually takes me about 6 months with a new bird to feel like "I've got it"...And then they change up the game on you ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:heart: Good luck! You'll find your groove. Usually takes me about 6 months with a new bird to feel like "I've got it"...And then they change up the game on you ;)
Boy, isn’t that the truth!