• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice(potentially injured bird)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Wasn't sure where to put this as it's not an emergency....

Does not have to do with my birds but a bird at my work.

We have a little fischer lovebird baby for sale that we were going to send home on saturday, but the customer was holding the little one and some how(I wasn't attending to her, my boss was) the customer gave her back to me and her wing was really droopy, like it was broken. I swooped her up very gently, and assessed her situation, to see if anything was bleeding or if she reacted to the pain, and there was none--no blood, no yelping, but she would not return the one wing to its original position. I returned her to her baby cage, and she preened and ate like normal.

I massaged the wing and extended it a little bit, and actually it seemed to help the little one put it back in place, almost as if it had been dislocated.

Gosh forgot to add-- my boss was distracted and let the customer attempt to put the baby in her box for the ride home, I think thats when the injury occured, and why she brought the bird to me instead of my boss, so she wouldn't get yelled at i'm assuming. So, it was technically the customers fault.

Nothing like this has ever happened before. in the 4 years i've worked here.

I'm actually a bit peeved that my boss offered to do nothing(you know, the little guys get no respect, like parakeets:()

I wanted to take it to the vet for xrays or something, I felt SO BAD but i'm just not sure what to do...

Should I stand up for the little one and adopt it, due to it's injury and take it to the vet, or do I make my boss do it? (she never really wants to take birds in, wanting to do the most we can at the store as possible, and THEN take them in, unless it really is 911 emergency etc...)

my boss really is great, and is awesome, but this one incident has my head spinning.

I have been thinking about the little one all this week. :sad4:

My ultimatum is how the bird looks when i go into work on wednesday.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If her wing is still drooping then yes, she needs to be seen by a vet and the store should be responsible. They should have a vet on retainer anyway for all the animals.

Ginger

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Poor little one. :(I don't know what I would do. I hope you can get him some help though. Thanks for caring.:hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
If her wing is still drooping then yes, she needs to be seen by a vet and the store should be responsible. They should have a vet on retainer anyway for all the animals.

Ginger

I know that's why I'm sorta mad at my boss(we are a mom and pop shop) she takes the store one week at a time since we are recovering from the insanity that her brother left her(he left the store in financial shambles) and money is tight sometimes.

I can help the little one, but I think this comes down to morals, I cant force her to do anything with her "property", but I feel like something needs to be done.

We do have a vet at the ready, but once again when money is tight, you know how people can be. I think I will go into work tomorrow just to see how she is doing, and go from there.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
honey, if the money is tight and they will not take the birdie to the vet, then you do it if you can..

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little one,I agree she needs to be seem by a vet. Thats inhumane of the the store owner to not get her checked out.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The bird needs to be seen, I hope the owner pays for it. Thanks for thinkin about this baby. :hug8:

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Please let us know what ends up happening with the little baby. Hopefully your boss will get her to the vet. :hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
well, checked in on the little one today, and she's doing much better, the wing is not distended at all, and she eats and plays like usual. I don't think she's screaming "take me to the vet!" with the way she's acting now. A little sigh of relief.... :rolleyes:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
It could be just bruised and it hurt. Glad she is doing better

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Me too amanda! and yes chris, thats what I think happened. just a little sensitive at the time when it happened.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad that she is doing better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.