• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Reptile Links!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I've just sat down to try to start an assignment for my Vertebrate Zoology class. We have to research and report on an aging technique and a marking technique (outline the method, give examples of where it's been used, advantages/disadvantages, etc). The aging technique i was given is the use of size to estimate age in reptiles. I am now discovering that Google is not being kind and isn't offering me much info. Does anyone know any links?

I knew when i got the technique that size only gives a very crude estimate of age in reptiles, but i assumed that if i was given it to research there would be some info out there i could use!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
PM me if you still need this information, I will have to do some digging as far as aging goes, but I can tell you all about marking techniques for the animals for later identification as I am having to do that now for my thesis. :)

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Still need the info if you have it. :) The marking technique I got is much easier: leg bands for birds. ;)

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
Go to the HerpNation.com website and post your query on the Field Herp Forum. There are many active research biologists participating on that Forum engaged in a lot of field work who are knowledgeable about alot of data gathering techniques. Determining age by size is extremely unreliable because so many factors can influence the size of an individual herp in any given population: competition with others sharing the same niche, availability of food, heat, light which affect growth hormones. I have seen great differences in the size of desert tortoise juveniles of the same age simply because some individuals are more aggressive in terms of eating habits and territoriality. They will actually 'stunt' the growth of other juvies sharing the same habitat range. In many lizard species such as chuckwallas, the marking with pheromones from a more dominant or aggressive males/females can inhibit the growth of same age individuals sharing territory.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
That's for the link, i'll check that out this arvo when i get home from school. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.