• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need recipes for dry food and seed mix

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
I would like to hand make dry food and seed mix for my fids.
I was looking at seed mixes on amazon and they were either full of crap or just way too expensive for the small amount on offer. Especially considering the size differences between my birds (budgie, GC conjure, grey).

Do you guys have any good recipes for dry food and seed mix?

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Try looking in the contest section, there was just a recipe contest with tons of them posted :)

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Bump.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Oh my gosh those recipes look amazing!

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
That looks really good too.
All of the recipes are for cooked food, and I was sort of hoping for something more along the lines of seeds and nuts and homemade treats that could easily be taken out with us.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That looks really good too.
All of the recipes are for cooked food, and I was sort of hoping for something more along the lines of seeds and nuts and homemade treats that could easily be taken out with us.

You will not be able to make your own "complete and nutritious" seed mix without buying each and every individual kind of seed needed in "bulk". Then you will need to mix it together in small batches leaving you with a lot of individual bulk seeds. If you can't use all the seed in a timely manner it will become outdated. You certainly won't save any money trying to make it yourself.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
You will not be able to make your own "complete and nutritious" seed mix without buying each and every individual kind of seed needed in "bulk". Then you will need to mix it together in small batches leaving you with a lot of individual bulk seeds. If you can't use all the seed in a timely manner it will become outdated. You certainly won't save any money trying to make it yourself.
Though money is a concern, my main concern is that a lot of the seed mixes seem to include things my birds shouldn't really have. I did find one that wasn't all full of sunflower seeds so that definitely helped, but I'm still not 100% about it.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I make my own seed mix. I like doing it, because most storebought seed mixes are inferior quality, stale, contain pieces of things like pellets that my birds don't eat, have seed moths, etc. It's a treat thing more than anything else, I wouldn't recommend it as the bulk of their diet as it won't be nutritionally complete or fortified with vitamins like a commercial seed mix (not that I think that's a good diet anyway). The other nice thing about it is that it's sproutable unlike most commercial mixes.

For a base mix, something like white millet, red millet, canary seed, safflower seed, buckwheat, nyjer seed, striped sunflower seed, black sunflower seed, raw pumpkin seed, etc.
Then when you sprout it, you could add whole wheat berries, quinoa, amaranth, mung beans, adzuki beans, brown rice, lentils, etc.
Then you could also make a mix of dried fruits, veggies, nuts, herbs etc. to add to the dry mix as well :)

This is the last batch of a sproutable mix I made! 7 pounds and it cost under $15. Next time I won't mix it all together as this will take me FOREVER to get through lol

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here is mine My Seed Mix | Parrot 1-2-3

However, I have been using the Higgins Yucatan mix the last couple years just because I feed so little seed (1 tsp a day total for 2 birds) that it goes stale before I can use it. And I'm now in an area I would have to buy everything online, which means all 1+ lb increments, furthering that issue.