• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Information on Beta Fish Keeping

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am enamored with the beauty of Beta fish. I know next to nothing about keeping one. Also the aquarium kits look really pretty. I could keep the fish on my kitchen counter in my new apartment. Any input??

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Never mind on this request. After doing some reading up on the care needed I have decided to not go down this path. I have one cat and 3 birds so that is enough. There is an initial expense which added up more than I anticipated.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well if you change your mind let me know. :hug8: Keep an eye on CL. Sometimes people want to rehome everything, tank supplies, fish and all. ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So I changed my mind one more after looking at the fish where I work on weekends. They are all so beautiful how could one not have just one Betta as a friend. I ask customers that are shopping for supplies how they are caring for the fish. Most but no all just keep them in tap water (treated) and feed once a day or less with no heater. On reading several books I see they like still water like the rice patties where they originated. My confusion lies in how often to feed. I have the supplies already, 2.5 gallon container, pellets, thermometer, heater and plastic plants and log for the bottom. Also gravel and some worms for treats. I want to get a PH testing kit. I am thinking of using distilled water. When one cleans out the bowl is the container completely emptied, including the gravel? If not, how is the gravel cleaned? Here is a the fish's home to be: Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kit - Acrylic Aquarium and Desktop Fish Tank from petco.com

I am not going to get the fish until after I move into a new apt. Tend to like the double tails. Does anyone have any suggestions? One other question maybe for Carol. Should I give the fish a 1/4 pea on a routine basis so there are no constipation issues? Also should the lights be turned out for the night?

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You will need to cycle the tank. So you will need liquid test kits for not only PH, but Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. API test kits are good.
I keep the substrate clean by siphoning it with a long length of small airline tubing. You want a small diameter to give you enough time to get everything on the bottom.
Do not use distilled water.It is devoid of certain elements the fish needs. Use tap water that you treat with Prime to dechlorinate{or some water is treated with chloramines, this will elminate that also}
No, when doing a water change, after the tank has cycled, you remove approximately 50% of the water while cleaning it, and replace with dechlorinated water.
Feed once a day,sometimes twice is ok but keep the amount tiny. Give a day off occasionally. Sometimes after the day off, defrost a frozen pea or two, take the skin off cut in half and feed. To keep the digestion moving.
Purchase some good quality Indian almond leaves and add a small piece to the tank. This helps ward off fungus, and helps with overall health.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All animals benefit from a photo cycle, so I would turn off the light at night. Agreed with Carole on the rest. My bettas always ate about 5 to 7 pellets a day, and every other week gave them a day off food followed by the pea. As a treat I'd replace their pellets with a bit of frozen blood worms, they love those!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am not sure of getting a B fish from the pet store as they have been sitting around in small plastic containers for a long time. Some are bored and messing with their fins. I found this site and would ask for your opinion of purchase from here: Live Male Betta Fish | eBay Thanks all for your input.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Does the tank you have, have a lid? Worth bearing in mind if you have cats.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does the tank you have, have a lid? Worth bearing in mind if you have cats.
Worth bearing in mind because betta are jumpers also! :p

I've never bought a betta anywhere other than a pet store. Most are only on the shelf for a week or two at most around here.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
That too! Very athletic

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just joined a betta forum and have been reading their educational threads. According to their teachings a 2.5 gallon tank does not need to be cycled. That is fine wit

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I would always cycle a tank regardless of size. It's not just getting water conditions right, it's making sure the filter develops the bacteria it needs, so that it can cope with the bio-load. And Bettas poop a lot.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Updates: Had to get a little larger tank because my Mothers day gifts were 4 large boxes from amazon with all fish tank decorations. So I now have a 5 gallon tank. Have been looking at E bay for a long time and saw a Betta that stunned me with his beauty. I will never get a fish in a pet store like Petco because they just sit there and deteriorate. The breeder is in Oregon and she is very good at what she does. I bought the little guy, 5 month old, and she is holding him for me until after I move and have the tank cycled. Hope it does not take too long. Any fast cycling tips appreciated. I named him Flint and here is his pic:

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks but as time went by and I moved into a new apt. I made the decision not to get the fish. I just do not want the amount work that goes into keep this fish properly. I think it is more work than birds!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You top off a little water each day if there is evaporation{with some Prime in it}, change half the water once a week{with Prime in it}, and throw about five floating betta pellets in each day for the fish. Not even close to the work it takes to keep a bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I guess I thought the work was too much for this old lady. I am not supposed to lift too much wt. and the testing of the water. Turns out just after I made that decision I went into the hospital so I am glad the fish was not in my home. It was very difficult to find someone to come take care of kitty and birds.