• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need ideas for puzzle/problem-solving toys?

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've observed that baby Waffle seems ready to move on to the next step in toys. S/he has lots of chewy/shreddy toys & foot toys (still working on that foot/beak coordination) but is so inquisitive I think we could use some different enrichment. Also, I need to get Waffle away from running around the house & chewing up erasers. LOL.
Unfortunately, the treat dispensers don't work out so well for us b/c Waffle doesn't seem to "get" that anything is inside them.
What would you recommend for a teensy, curious GCC that's available in the US?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think this one was from @Laurie at The Best Bird Toys

20180720_160258.jpg

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh, this is helpful! I think if Waffle could actually SEE that there are treats inside it would be more motivating.
I ordered a plastic paper dispenser that I thought Waffle would be really into, but s/he seems more terrified than anything. (would post but I can't remember where I got it--lol)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's the maze one I was talking about.

Be warned that sometimes ordering toys there that he doesn't always use zinc free components sadly

I've never purchased that but I've thought about it. One can replace the hardware.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never purchased that but I've thought about it. One can replace the hardware.

Oh yeah that is what I do; some items are harder though, like any that use cotter pins - those are zinc so i won't carry them

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo generally loses interest in plastic foraging toys very quickly as he works them out way too quick. He also only goes to them when someone is watching! If you have toys with soft paper in them ( and a bell on the bottom) for example, you may have more luck! Actually anything with a bell on it should work! :)

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks everyone! I have ordered a couple plastic foraging treat toys directly from Caitec. We'll see how it goes. I am a paranoid Mommy who is not particularly crafty so I'm super sensitive about materials.

Waffle has a few baskets and coconut shells that have crinkle paper in them...in fact, we have a box of bulk crinkle paper that gets a lot of use around here! I may just have to change up the toys I am putting under it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Lodah & D_M!

Thanks for that bell@ the bottom idea. I am in the process of building a paper crinkle box for My Buddy & I was trying to think of an idea to get him to get into it. Once the fear wears off a bell is a great idea! Ty!

I've observed that baby Waffle seems ready to move on to the next step in toys. S/he has lots of chewy/shreddy toys & foot toys (still working on that foot/beak coordination) but is so inquisitive I think we could use some different enrichment. Also, I need to get Waffle away from running around the house & chewing up erasers. LOL.
Unfortunately, the treat dispensers don't work out so well for us b/c Waffle doesn't seem to "get" that anything is inside them.
What would you recommend for a teensy, curious GCC that's available in the US?
Ty for the great question. Even tho Buddy is a RHA. Those teasers help! Lol!

:grouphug2:

Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just posted this for someone. Thought you may want to look through this as there are some puzzles w/ foraging & I thought of you too!

Foraging