• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Ideas for macaw travel cage

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Help! I am one of two coordinators for a local bird rescue, and we recently took in a surrendered Catalina macaw. The person who surrendered him had no travel carrier, so the folks who picked him up used a plastic dog crate, which was chewed through by the time they got to the foster’s home. Unfortunately, now that we have been able to handle the bird, we can tell that he is rather thin, and has trouble gripping perches or balancing on our arm or hand, so he needs to see our vet. How to get him there is the question, because a loose bird in a car would be difficult at best. Do we need to find a crate to accommodate his tail? Is a dog crate the best idea? the trip will only take about 30 minutes each way, but we don’t want to stress him by sticking him in an unsuitable carrier. Keeping in mind we are a rescue operating on a shoestring budget… . We are willing to invest some money, but would like to keep it as economical as possible. Thoughts? Picture for thanks!

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Plastic dog crates work well for my guys.

In unfamiliar situations, they have the added benefit that apprehensive birds can be gently dumped out on the clinic floor since there's nothing for them to hold onto inside the carrier.
... easier and safer than strangers reaching hands inside.

This style...
106358_1_32x22x23%_.jpg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use a pak-o-bird but there are much cheaper sturdier options.

If a plastic dog crate is not suitable for a short trip to the vets then there are also dog crates made from wire that I have seen some people use for macaws. I have an old one I used to have for my dogs.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Thank you all! This is so helpful! He seems like a different bird than the one we picked up a few weeks ago in terms of temperament and calm -- I just don't want to set us back too far. We have a really great vet who is confident and experienced with all kinds of birds, so once we get there, he should be fine.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann

In unfamiliar situations, they have the added benefit that apprehensive birds can be gently dumped out on the clinic floor since there's nothing for them to hold onto inside the carrier.

This style...
I've got a similar one for Frankie, but mine doesnt have wheels. I will have to get one with wheels now. They are great size wise, but I find them bulky (for myself) to carry.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have long arms, so I don't actually have one with wheels :)

I will have to get one with wheels now. They are great size wise, but I dfid them bulky (for myself) to carry.
Another option is a furniture moving dolly -- their wheels are far more robust over various surfaces than the ones attached to the crates and it has general utility.
download.png

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

This style...
Can you list the brand please? JaKhu chewed thru the all plastic ones & I need one with wire windows like the one you posted. Thank you :).

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I've got a similar one for Frankie, but mine doesnt have wheels. I will have to get one with wheels now. They are great size wise, but I find them bulky (for myself) to carry.
You won't need a new crate just some wheels for it :)

or how about this?

I have one of these.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
A plastic crate will not contain any of my large macaws, they'll eat right through it! Heidi would pull those wire windows right out and laugh when she did it!

We use the wire dog crates because we have to. They are easy to outfit with a perch, I can lock the door and fold down for easy storage.

We used ours for travel from Canada to the UK so they had to fit certain criteria. We put a metal grate over the plastic sides so they couldn't chew through it, and hubby fitted perches in them. They worked well for us. :)

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
We used ours for travel from Canada to the UK so they had to fit certain criteria. We put a metal grate over the plastic sides so they couldn't chew through it, and hubby fitted perches in them. They worked well for us. :)
For Airline travel I have a couple of these for the big birds, they are very nice.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
For Airline travel I have a couple of these for the big birds, they are very nice.

That looks quite heavy...lol I am weak.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
That looks quite heavy...lol I am weak.
It really isn't, its made out of aluminum. I can't fly my two big macaws in a plastic airline approved crate, they both have chewed their ways out before. Heidi and Levi have extremely powerful beaks and when they are determined they use them! I only really use the aluminum crates when we fly and sometimes when moved if it was a long ways away. They have regular wire dog crates and covers that I made for Vet visits and short trips.
Honestly I think anything that will hold a bird that is around 40" long weighing over 3 pounds is heavy once you add the perches, toys, bowls and the bird and that is why I have that cart to put them on. I put the two big crates on the bottom and the 3 crates on the top and tell my husband I need help pushing it! LOL Not really I push it.

Here is a picture of Oliver's new travel cage and the cover that I made him.
Oliver Cover.JPG

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
It really isn't, its made out of aluminum. I can't fly my two big macaws in a plastic airline approved crate, they both have chewed their ways out before. Heidi and Levi have extremely powerful beaks and when they are determined they use them! I only really use the aluminum crates when we fly and sometimes when moved if it was a long ways away. They have regular wire dog crates and covers that I made for Vet visits and short trips.
Honestly I think anything that will hold a bird that is around 40" long weighing over 3 pounds is heavy once you add the perches, toys, bowls and the bird and that is why I have that cart to put them on. I put the two big crates on the bottom and the 3 crates on the top and tell my husband I need help pushing it! LOL Not really I push it.

Here is a picture of Oliver's new travel cage and the cover that I made him.
View attachment 432364
You have a good set up for your babies :)
And yes, once you add perches and big birds they can become quite cumbersome.
I have to take mine to the vets in a taxi as I can't drive over here, or rather I have no desire to drive on the wrong side of the road with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. And don't even get me started about the roundabouts lol.
But yes, I need a durable one that isn't too bulky.
Dolly's is fine. It's actually a cat carrier that hubby fixed with a perch. It's not bulky at all :)
You must have your hands full when you have to travel with them all. Good thing you have a trolley for them. :)

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie

This would (will?) be a good option if I have to travel by air with my birds! I like that it is aluminum, as we know it should be safe for the chewers… thank you!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award