• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need ideas for bird room

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
As I'm finally getting settled into my new apartment I've been think about what I want to do with the bird room. I don't have a lot of extra space, two walls have cages, one wall has my couch, and the other is a closet. I will be putting Ben's hanging jungle gym back up once I get the last new cage set up. I'm looking for suggestions for bird safe, low light, easy to care for plants. I've also been thinking about putting a good sized (but shallow), constantly running fountain in the room. Ben LOVES to take baths and I thought it would be fun for him to bathe in it whenever he wants. It would also add some nice, natural sound to the room for when I'm not home. I know I have to be careful choosing a "bird safe" fountain and will need to keep it clean. I'm always in the room when he's out so he will be supervised when using it. Does anyone have something similar set up? Are there any potential issues with this idea that I'm not thinking of? Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo frequently bathes in the cats' Drinkwell :lol: So he gives it his vote!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have a fountain bowl that my mom gave me because our dogs wouldn't use it but I use that for the parakeets, they love it. I was actually thinking more of like a garden fountain, something like one of these

IMG_7248.PNG

IMG_7249.PNG

I don't think I'd be able to choose one online, I'd have to see it because it needs to be shallow and the flow can't be too strong. If I can't find any I'll probably end up getting one of the pet fountain bowls.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The issue with those type for me is that they aren't rated for food/drinking safety. That means they don't have to use materials that won't leech into the water, and could be potentially dangerous. I wouldn't use anything labeled "decoration only"

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The issue with those type for me is that they aren't rated for food/drinking safety. That means they don't have to use materials that won't leech into the water, and could be potentially dangerous. I wouldn't use anything labeled "decoration only"
Ok thanks, I'll start looking for water bowls instead