• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help!

Lucysunshine

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lucu
Hey I am new here and I need help with my handicap green cheek conure they gave her to me because the breeder did not want her because she is missing one foot and I don't know how to make her more comfortable I don't know what to do.. any info would be great.. Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Lucy, welcome to the Avenue,

First, be sure your cage is adequate, more long than tall and not too tall if the bird falls from perches.
I have a 18x18x30 finch flight cage for my lovebird, other members have the critter nation cage for larger birds.
Line the cage floor (be sure to take the grid out if there is one) with some non pilling fleece, blankets, or other soft mats/materials.
Purchase ramps and cotton perches. You can vet wrap dowels and ramps to make them softer for comfort.
(Tip, the rodent section has more choice for ramps, platforms and ladders)

How old is your bird? If she´s still young be sure to keep the food and water on the ground, and assess as she grows as to which dishes are best for her.
Maybe you could share a picture of her current set up with us and we can offer some suggestions?

It´s also important to go to the vet for a wellness check (and basically a meet n greet) so that the vet is aware of her condition and she´s already registered should you need to see the vet in the future, this will save time.

@iamwhoiam @Brittany0208 @Fuzzy

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for helping this bird. Some platform perches might work for her too.