• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaw69

Moving in
Real Name
marc lawson
I bought keytee exact pellets for my quaker kiwi. He wont touch them. He still only wants his seeds. My question is,is there a brand out there that most quakers will eat? Maybe a brand that looks alot like seed? Also he's wanting to pluck is there a product to help him stop? I've heard some people saying something about aloe spray? Is there a pellet blend that helps produce healthier and brighter feathers?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Kaytee products are low end cheap food (not to mention supporting a company that causes a lot of the problems we see today in pet parrots)

As I said in one of your other posts. Plucking is a very complex question that there are no easy answers to. There are no magic potions. The problem is either behavioural (most common) or it could be something medical. Have you had this bird to an avian vet for a checkup and possibly some testing?

A better diet will go a long ways to addressing this problem and will also improve his feather condition.

Christina71

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christina
My lovebirds were seed eaters when I got them and I tried many brands and sizes of pellets. Roudybush Maintenance in Nibbles size was the only one they would eat. It's small like seeds and blends well with them, I just gradually added more pellets and mixed less seed. I still give them some seed, but they do eat the pellets now.

paperdragon

Rollerblading along the road
I second the Roudybush Maintenance nibbles suggestion. That's what I use for my guys. It takes a bit of work to get them switched over, so don't lose hope if he doesn't eat them right off.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had the most luck with my Quaker with Zupreem. I used fruity first, then moved to naturals. I used the conversion method at the Quaker parrots forum:

Offer the chosen pellet in the primary food dish, free choice...that means 24/7. IN A SEPARATE DISH offer your seed mix for 20 minutes twice a day. Do this for a week...

Week Two, follow the steps to week one, only allowing 15 minutes twice a day

Continuing on...keep doing this until the bird is recieving seed 5 minutes twice a day then start only offering it once a day, do that for a week, then once every other day and if they are still clinging on to the seed, once every third day...by this time they will be eating pellet and seed will be seen as a treat.
Another method is outlined here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/feath...6-new-years-pellet-conversion-resolution.html

mlaw69

Moving in
Real Name
marc lawson
I'll try zupreem, I'm optimistic I put the kaytee pellet fruit mix in a bowl and sat on the couch with him. He ate them for a good ten minutes. I was so proud of him :dance4:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I was lucky with CC he gets Roudybush California pellets and Higgins seed mix and occasionally MSBS bountiful Harvest. He loves them all. ---But please try the "switching" steps--- I had a canary that I gave up trying to convert and she died way too early from fatty liver disease----and quakers are prone to that too.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
As already asked, has your quaker been to the vet to rule out any medical issues that may be the cause of plucking? Plucking has many root causes and that one needs to be ruled out first because it could cause some serious issues. I wouldn't use aloe spray, there was a thread recently about how it can do more harm than good. http://forums.avianavenue.com/eclec...er-aloe-vera-sprays-other-feather-sprays.html There are some products out there for plucking birds but they are going to be useless if it's a medical reason, so a vet needs to be seen before you go down any other route.

I wouldn't feed kaytee. Zupreem is also what my birds eat and it was very easy to get them to eat it. Neelix was weaned on the fruity zupreem and then I had to switch him to naturals, I don't like the colored poop. Granted Zupreem is still not high quality but it's much better than kaytee.

mlaw69

Moving in
Real Name
marc lawson
OpinionI'm looking for the best vet for birds in my area. Hes not plucking bad I just worry too much because my previous bird peanut was a parrotlet he plucked himself naked. the vet never found any physical problems, his opinion was it was phycological. He was too young to be removed from the breeder or just boredom.kiwi has only been with us for a month now, and he seems to have adjusted very well. He's very playful and affectionate towards me. He just looks a little scruffy lol. He's still a beautiful little quaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.