• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with training a 30 year old Moluccan

Gav

Strolling the yard
Hello, so for a bit of a basic story, a family friend has a Moluccan cockatoo that she's had for the past some number of years. I actually had no idea she had this bird until I house sat at her place for about a week. She told me it was going to somebody in her family when she died, but shortly afterwards I learned that she'd previously been trying to find a completely new home for it. I love birds and I have always adored cockatoos in particular but have never decided to commit to one until I met this one. However, there are a lot of concerns I have and would like some tips about.

First off, I don't know if this bird has been treated or trained well. She doesn't pluck and her feathers seem healthy (although a bit ruffled), but she makes absolutely no sound except an occasional whistle. She used to belong to another family member of said person's but she doesn't act entirely comfortable. In fact I've only ever seen her fluff up, spread her wings, and hiss at anyone who passes by. A couple of them pet her while she was in the cage but she retained her defensive posture and didn't seem very content with it. I was very surprised she didn't bite them and she didn't seem like she enjoyed it.

While I was alone at the house with her I would sit by her and talk and she would calm down and listen, but the second I shifted or moved my hand she would automatically become defensive. I don't blame her because I am very new to her, but most birds I've met will at least speak to me or play with their toys, or clean themselves, or try to come out, but she just sits there or sticks her face in her food bowl and nibbles on seeds the entire time and tenses up at everything. Even when a dog walks by who she's lived with for at least the last few years.

When I asked her owner about how much training she's had the response I got was "she's trained." Then when I asked her if I could watch how she interacts with the person who handles her most I got a response saying "she likes women better." These answers aren't what I was looking for but I haven't pressed for more details because it already seems pretty clear that nobody is very involved with the bird at all. At least not in the way one should be, especially with a cockatoo.

I'm ready to take the bird in at any time, but she's suggested that I work with the bird at her house first. Which normally would be by all means a great idea, except I don't want to force this bird to socialize with me and in return lose a finger. I've already been told that she bites and I've already been bit once while offering a treat (it was a small treat so I don't think she realized what it was). And because of the vague answers I've gotten about her training, I'm expecting to wait months before this bird warms up to me. I also have no idea if this bird had been abused at any point in her life, because she's 30 years old already and hardly acts like she wants anything to do with people.

I'm looking for any advice possible about what to do in this situation. I don't want to rush into it for the sake of the bird's stress/comfort but I also want the bird out of its current home as soon as reasonably possible. She was referred to as a burden and I don't want that to be her existence as it's not healthy for either her or her current owner.

Edit: For some information about myself, I feel I'm pretty experienced with birds. I've only personally owned conures and many outdoor birds, but I've handled my dad's cockatoo plenty of times and my friend's Senegal and I love them with all my heart. I never planned to have a cockatoo any time soon, but I've looked into the amount of care and attention they need for the past few years and I'm willing to give it anything it needs.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will refer you to our resident Cockatoo person @JLcribber. Correct me if I am wrong John but isn't a Moluccan cockatoo the one that is rehomed the most? They are pretty big. Gav it would help to describe the area this bird would live in as Toos are not much for cages. I would also ask about her medical history and the name of the avian vet. If you get no direct answer then you should be concerned.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It sounds like this bird needs a better home. And if that's something you are willing to do, that's wonderful. I know you know that cockatoos can be a challenge. And Moluccans can be very loud (the loudest of the cockatoos actually). Although she's quiet now, my guess is she won't always be. So just be prepared with whatever your living situation is that she may scream loudly. I have a goffin and my neighbors across the street say they sometimes hear him. With my doors and windows closed.

If the 'too (does she have a name?) is uncomfortable in her current house, I don't really see where working with her there is any better than just bringing her to your home and starting fresh. Unless you want more time to get to know her to commit to taking her. It sounds like she's going to need time and patience. And I would continue doing what you're doing. Sitting with her. Talking to her, etc. If you're not familiar already with target training, I would read up on that or watch some videos. A woman who helps with our local parrot rescue is big on teaching birds to go to a corner of their cage when you have to change their water, etc. It's all done with positive reinforcement. It may be a good thing for you to work on with her since you don't know how bitey she may be. 'Toos are smart and I'm sure she can learn pretty quickly. And if she's bored, she may find the mental stimulation of learning new things very rewarding.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no experience with larger 'toos so I will also defer to @JLcribber
However, since they refer to the 'too as a burden :( and you are willing to take the 'too I would probably recommend just taking her home. Do you feel comfortable with that? If not then spend time interacting with her at your friend's house and see what you think about the 'too and what she thinks about you. Sounds like she needs to be in a loving and caring home where she can get attention and everything else she needs. She's fearful and it will take time and patience to work with her.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I had a moluccan cockatoo in Canada and she was very tame, so I taught her some tricks and things, but she was my baby.
They can be loud but what bird isn't really!
If you can talk her into letting you taking her home instead of having to go to her house, you would be able to train her alot easier with a better environment and with a fresh start :)

Gav

Strolling the yard
Thank you for all your replies and contacts. Her name is Archie but I may change it if there's another name I find that her and I prefer. I usually name a lot of my pets mostly after sounds or words they enjoy, haha, or change their previous name into something that feels more fitting.

At first I actually wanted to put off adopting her for a few months, once I've hopefully moved into a new place because as of now I'm living in a bedroom at my grandparents I don't have a lot of space. But I'm more than willing to put all my stuff into the storage unit and let her be out as much as possible. I try to always let my birds roam free as much as possible. When I had my parakeet in my room I would let him roam free for as long as I was home with him. It might be a little harder with a bird as large and trouble-making as a cockatoo, but I hope to still do the same. I do also plan to build her an outdoor aviary, but I'm tentative to do that at my grandparents because there's already so many animals here there's not many safe/open places to put it.

As for the noise, I feel the bird will actually have to be competing with me. Me and my conure would scream/screech at each other 24/7 and any time I hung out with my dad's cockatoo we'd be the noisiest things around in at least a few blocks. It's going to drive my grandparents crazy I'm sure, but I've already talked to them about it.

I will try talking to her owner once more this week and get things squared away, because from the sounds of it a new situation might actually brighten her up. I'll ask about that medical history as well, but I don't expect to get any information about it.

Thank you for the help~ I'll still be around in case there's more suggestions and help to be offered or if more questions are raised.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I had a moluccan cockatoo in Canada and she was very tame, so I taught her some tricks and things, but she was my baby.
They can be loud but what bird isn't really!
If you can talk her into letting you taking her home instead of having to go to her house, you would be able to train her alot easier with a better environment and with a fresh start :)
While I agree with the concept, that would leave Gav open to having done all the hard work just to have the owners decide to (a) keep it or (b) sell it because now it's been socialized AND trained. Unless you can get them to sign her over to you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you for taking an interest in this bird's life. There is no greater thing than to be someone else's saviour. You have my full support.

While I was alone at the house with her I would sit by her and talk and she would calm down and listen, but the second I shifted or moved my hand she would automatically become defensive. I don't blame her because I am very new to her, but most birds I've met will at least speak to me or play with their toys, or clean themselves, or try to come out, but she just sits there or sticks her face in her food bowl and nibbles on seeds the entire time and tenses up at everything. Even when a dog walks by who she's lived with for at least the last few years.

This is just learned helplessness. Very sad. With time and love in a new place these things can be overcome. It's all situational.

I'm ready to take the bird in at any time, but she's suggested that I work with the bird at her house first. Which normally would be by all means a great idea, except I don't want to force this bird to socialize with me and in return lose a finger.

Oh heck no. If there is going to be a change in this bird's life, cut the cord and make the change. The old owner will be nothing but a hinderance. An UNINFORMED back seat driver and a general pain in the...........

For some information about myself, I feel I'm pretty experienced with birds. I've only personally owned conures and many outdoor birds, but I've handled my dad's cockatoo plenty of times and my friend's Senegal and I love them with all my heart. I never planned to have a cockatoo any time soon, but I've looked into the amount of care and attention they need for the past few years and I'm willing to give it anything it needs.

This is all I need to hear. This bird needs you. Here is the reality. This is a whole new level of bird ownership. You have experience and that is wonderful because you must have "some" experience to take this challenge on. You're going to have a(nother) child. You're probably this bird last and only hope. At least be a stepping stone for this bird to better things. Whatever that may be.

Female cockatoos are generally easier and more laid back than males (but of course there are some wild females). That works in your favour. This bird has been been psychologically starved for a number of years now. It won't take much love to see a whole new bird.

Always willing to help.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I like the idea of getting her out of her situation sooner rather than later as others have said. A better new environment is can sometimes be really therapeutic for birds. Thou I wouldn't count on it with her, but I don't think it would be harmful either. Asking medical history is a great idea. I'd get her DNA sexed to when you take her to the vet's the first time. Usually I wouldn't care but in this case I think it would be very helpful. To be honest I have more experience with Male cockatoos. The female Ive known was surprisingly quiet for a moluccan. I can't say for sure but it wouldn't surprise me if females were some what quieter than Males. Thou you should be prepared for some screaming. Its pretty normal and healthy behavior as long it's not 24/7.

It does sound like she been miss handled, possibly abused at some point. Some birds just have nervous personalities but she behaviour sounds pretty extreme for it to just be that. Toos can be really resilient so there is lots of potential for her to change but you have to be willing to accept her the way she now as there are no guarantees.

Your approach of taking it slow and steady sounds like exactly what she needs. If you are up for the challenge I think you would be a great home for her. Its good you have some Too experienced.

About her fear posturing, my U2 will sometimes go into the traditional fear position, wings out and down, Crest up, for no apparent reason. I can pet him when he does this. He is somewhat a nervous bird but overall good natured and well adjusted. Her behavior sounds somewhat different but as it seems to be triggered by movement of people around her....

I hope this is somewhat helpful. I wish you the best of luck with her :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for all your replies and contacts. Her name is Archie but I may change it if there's another name I find that her and I prefer. I usually name a lot of my pets mostly after sounds or words they enjoy, haha, or change their previous name into something that feels more fitting.

At first I actually wanted to put off adopting her for a few months, once I've hopefully moved into a new place because as of now I'm living in a bedroom at my grandparents I don't have a lot of space. But I'm more than willing to put all my stuff into the storage unit and let her be out as much as possible. I try to always let my birds roam free as much as possible. When I had my parakeet in my room I would let him roam free for as long as I was home with him. It might be a little harder with a bird as large and trouble-making as a cockatoo, but I hope to still do the same. I do also plan to build her an outdoor aviary, but I'm tentative to do that at my grandparents because there's already so many animals here there's not many safe/open places to put it.

As for the noise, I feel the bird will actually have to be competing with me. Me and my conure would scream/screech at each other 24/7 and any time I hung out with my dad's cockatoo we'd be the noisiest things around in at least a few blocks. It's going to drive my grandparents crazy I'm sure, but I've already talked to them about it.

I will try talking to her owner once more this week and get things squared away, because from the sounds of it a new situation might actually brighten her up. I'll ask about that medical history as well, but I don't expect to get any information about it.

Thank you for the help~ I'll still be around in case there's more suggestions and help to be offered or if more questions are raised.

Hi!

This bird reminds me of a dog that we acquired as a doggy sit that turned into a formal adoption a few weeks later. Her first owner was abusive. Then she went home to home until us. It is my opinion that there could have been more abuse. Definitely neglect once the new puppy wore off. We were her last home. Although not as long as we'd of wanted. Did she start out w/ behaviour issues... Yes. Were we able to correct them. All but 1. Which the few times it happened we dealt w/ it properly, she just wasn't w/ us long enough I guess.

:sad6:You may be this birds only hope! :dance55:I'd try to get her now & run. If your G. Parents are ok with her. As I read this post she makes me want to :crycry2: cry. I know these situations happen all the time. It breaks my heart. I hope you can sneak her under your coat & run real far real soon. :evilsign:

Especially for her sake. You'll make a good birdy parent.

:hug9: Rain

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
While I agree with the concept, that would leave Gav open to having done all the hard work just to have the owners decide to (a) keep it or (b) sell it because now it's been socialized AND trained. Unless you can get them to sign her over to you.
That was my thoughts about the whole situation too!
The faster Gaz can get Archie out of that environment the better for everyone.
Also, since the current owners are very short with their answers to you, it may be hard to get the medical history unless you can get their vets name...
Good luck :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm with the others... if you are willing and able to get Archie out of there, do it! Get her out, establish her as your own, get her in to an avian vet and get some bloodwork done!

Any time you walk by her cage, drop a treat into a special treat cup. (metal is best!) If she's scared, put her in a quiet, secluded corner, and give her options to hide, but make sure that she's still able to see everything that's going on around her. This is important! You don't want to walk around a corner and scare her! Better for her to see you from a distance and announce yourself before you "randomly appear". This will help to mentally prepare her for your presence.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
What a commitment to make... Kudos to you for trying to better her life! Hope all goes as planned and you can give this poor bird a new life! There is an abundance of help here from some very experienced owners that will prove to be invaluable! That on its own is a Godsend for you and your new fid! :)

Gav

Strolling the yard
Alright, so I have an update here. I was at her original home yesterday to see some handling and she really did look like she was vaguely interested in interacting with people but she was shaking and seemed nervous and really wanted to go back to her cage. Her feathers are a lot worse than I thought, and I'd like to pass it off as "she just recently molted," but apart from just missing certain feathers, the feathers she does have are very tattered and ragged. Specifically her wings. She attempted to fly back to her cage three times but plummeted to the ground. I asked if I could take her that day and luckily her owner agreed and hauled her to my room so she's with me now. Some of her nails are curled but I'll be sure to get those trimmed within the next day or two once I'm certain she's settled. And I didn't get around to asking about any vet information because I was told that day was the first time she'd been taken out of her cage in years. She knows how to open it up and escape on her own, but nobody's worked with her for quite a while.

She seems to have handled the move very well and I actually heard a faint squawk out of her rather than her usual whistles, so it's good to know she still has a voice. I don't have any parrot toys suitable for her yet, but I gave her a mirror and she's spent a lot of time with it and occasionally gives it a little squawk so she seems really happy with it. At first when I moved her in, she'd do her hissing and defense postures but even just overnight she's calmed down a bit. She only hissed at my cat a couple times but now she seems interested when she watches me play with him which is encouraging to see her acting so curious.

Apart from how weak she seems physically, her eyes are alert and she's eating and drinking just fine.

This is the cage setup she has. I suppose I could use this as a sort of journal to keep updates on her progress because as I mentioned before, I may need your guys' help some more down the road. For now I'll be taking baby steps with her.

I put padlocks on both ends of her feed/water dish side so there won't be any secret adventures that I don't know about.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Aww what a beauty and so glad you got her out of that situation. I don’t have too experience but I do have a large rescue macaw who came from an absolutely horrible situation.

With him I found that warm mashes and bird bread was the way to his heart. There’s just something comforting about warm food served consistently. Aside from the food, he began to feel more at ease when his cage was filled with a variety of brightly colored toys. I think of the larger parrots as having needs similar to a child and being surrounded by fun toys to destroy and tussle with helped my guy come out of his shell quickly.

Thank you for rescuing this little one and I hope to see many more updates. :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so glad this girl is now with you.