• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need help with baby budgies URGENT

Stark322

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Harris Ahmad
Hi
So I have 6 budgie whom gave birth. The cage is fairly tall with 3 nest boxes at the top. There are 6 baby budgies with 2 living in each one. Now, 2 of them have been falling out of their boxes continuously. I'm not sure if this is because the parents pushed them out or if they fell but this happened 2/3 times already so I left the 2 baby budgies at the bottom of the cage in an open cardboard box with some wood chip pin because I don't want them to fall out again. However I don't know if the parents are even tending to them. I left them yesterday and came back today and they don't look very well. One is lying on the floor, breathing but his eyes are shut. I don't know if they're being fed. I'm stressing out like crazy someone please help, I don't know which ones are the parents so I don't know which nest box to put it in and if I try I fear they will fall out again.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no experience whatsoever, that said:

I don't know if they're being fed.
Are you able to tell if they're being fed by looking at their crops. I recall seeing pictures of babies and their crops were quite visible. If they're not being fed, I would think you have to feed them.

I don't know which ones are the parents
Sounds like you have to sit and watch to see what parents are tending to what babies?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Me,too...no experience with babies.
But is it possible to lower their nest box without upsetting them??

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
The parents will feed them. When birds are born, they still have the yolk in their crops which they eat.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
There is a possibility, That the parents kicked the babies out of nest. Some parents, will do this, when theres something wrong with the babies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may need to take over the feeding from the parents.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I have no experience with budgies, but I do have some finch experience.
First, how old are the baby budgies? Tomorrow morning, 30 minutes after the budgies wake up, take a picture of the babies, and asses there condition. Are the crops full? If so, they are being fed and are OK. If you're unsure, post the pick to this thread. We'll be able to see if their fed :). (The reason it is 30 minutes after the budgies wake up is because it is enough time for the parents to feed the babies).

If not, you'll have to hand feed. I'm not a real expert in that, I'd call a breeder for instructions. Meg from Whidbey Birds is really hepful and experienced, here's her website: Whidbey Birds | Parrots, Parrotlets, Conures & many more Hookbills!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
How old are the babies? Sometimes they will kick out (or pluck) babies that are a few weeks old if they are in a hurry to nest again... there's a good chance the females may be doing this to other females' babies. It's always recommended to provide extra nestboxes if there will be more than one female in an aviary.
For the current babies, watch to see if they are being fed. With them moved to a box lower down, they should be safe from any attacks, so as long as they are being fed and kept warm, they should be ok, but you may want to look into using indivudual cages for each pair if you breed them again. If this isn't possible, just provide plenty of space, and extra nestboxes placed at around the same height (so they don't fight for the more desirable higher nestboxes).