• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Need help with 16 day old pigeon!

Iluvug

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
K
I’ve been caring for a baby pigeon for about a week now (thanks in large part to the information I’ve found on this forum). I haven’t been easily able to locate information on how often and how much formula to feed a baby pigeon at this stage. Mine eats great and is currently eating about 25cc 3-4 times a day. His poops seem okay but that just may be due to inexperience too? My issue is despite growing well and gaining some weight he feels thin as I can feel his breastbone. He also is always hungry even when his crop feels full. Lastly, the past 2 days he seems to be gulping a bit of air when he feeds (I use the jar “bottle” method) but his crop does empty completely and he doesn’t appear to have any signs of stasis etc. I work at an animal shelter so I do have some resources available if needed and if a better feeding method is available, he’s pretty eager to eat so I’m sure he’d take to it. I also plan on running a fecal test today, is anyone aware what the treatment for Coccidia in birds would be? Oh I also would love to know when and how to offer normal food, as I’ve read a lot of mixed things about this as well.
For those interested, I got Birdie Sanders from my boyfriend. He works at an automotive shop and found him in the parking lot and could not reach the nest (it was on a very tall building. His boss also hates pigeons because of the damage they do to the cars and told my boyfriend to step on him or throw him over the fence. Thankfully my boyfriend is not a monster and brought him home.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's a good amount to feed. Baby pidgeons are always hungry ,,lol.., maybe up the feeding to 5 times a day,,,if hes eating but still feels thin, he may have a parasite or bacterial issue.Fluffed feathers and inactive Shaking Weight Loss Watery droppings Dark green, tacky, smelly diarrhea Blood in droppings , bad breath is a sign of coccidia/ canker...have you opened his mouth to look for canker? It will look like cottage cheese and smell like rot..if he dosent have these symptoms, he just may still be hungry,, they are bottomless pits..:pas for the food question, start showing him pellets, seeds, play with them with your fingers, he should show interest and start pecking at them. They imprint quickly, so you might have a new friend...get a fecal and crop swab done, this will tell you how to continue.

Iluvug

Real Name
K
Yes I’ve inspected his mouth and I check it daily. He’s very active and not fluffed up at all. I ran another fecal today and did not see any coccidia but his feces are fairly watery. Not green either normal color or very light like the color of the food. I’ll look into the crop swab! He doesn’t really smell bad at all nor do his feces so hopefullyhe’s just a bottomless pit. I’ve grown very fond of him :)

Iluvug

Real Name
K
What is the typical treatment for coccidia for birds? With dogs or cats it’s typically Albon or marquis paste.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
He sounds quite normal, babies will naturally have pretty wet droppings on a formula diet as it likely contains more moisture than their parents would provide them.
Pigeons make great pets, and I have always hoped to find a fallen chick and raise it!

Iluvug

Real Name
K
I haven’t had a bird in quite a long time! Wouldn’t he be lonely as a solo pigeon though?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Pigeons are probably much better suited to being a single bird than any parrot is.