• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help to tame my African ringneck

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@Feathered up @sunnysmom @Birdbabe So for the first time i opened her cage and i tried to hand feed her i am surprised and insanely happy that she came after 5-10 minutes.For how long do i have to do this proccess and what is the next step? :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try sitting with her and just leaving the cage door open and see if she'll come out. And you can keep trying to hand feed her treats. See if she'll let you scratch her. It's hard to give an exact time frame. Just try to see what her comfort level is. You don't want to overwhelm her but it sounds like things are going well. :)

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@sunnsmom i will try thanks for the advice :D i will keep giving her treats with the door open until she isn't scared at all :D

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Slow and steady, she will learn your her friend. :hug8:

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
@Feathered up @sunnysmom @Birdbabe So for the first time i opened her cage and i tried to hand feed her i am surprised and insanely happy that she came after 5-10 minutes.For how long do i have to do this proccess and what is the next step? :D
That is really great news! She does want to be accepted. Remember, birds instinctively want to be a part of a flock just like dogs want to be part of a pack. She’s going to be nervous for a while. Partly because you don’t look like a bird. You look like a predator. Her need to belong will eventually outweigh her fear of being eaten by you and she’s going to take a treat, or come investigate what you’re doing.

Keep in mind that these early steps are the trust building time. Just because she takes the treat you offer, doesn’t mean you have her full trust. I can just about guarantee that she is still very frightened but her need for a friend is making her willing to battle the fear. So, as everyone has mentioned, keep it slow and steady. Great job so far!!!

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
Thank you for tips @Feathered up and to be honest i don't think that she is very frightened because when i give her treats she comes calmly and take them from my hand and when i sit near her she is staying near me without being scared or that's what i think,and in the past when she was seeing me she was breathing very fast but she doesn't do it anymore

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
That is awesome. Just keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll have a great friend!

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@sunnysmom @Feathered up @Birdbabe So I tried to open my parrot's cage and in the second day she came out. I was actually able to give her food from my hand but can I somehow approach her? I need to get her in But I think that she will go back to the cage because she'll need to eat

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Slow and steady, she may go in her cage by herself. My IRN is a cuddly, pry him him off butthead, but he does go into his cage at night by himself, I cover three sides and sing to him.

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@Birdbabe I mean she started flying around the living room it felt like she wanted to go in the cage but she didn't know how lol

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She might go back in her cage on her own but may need help... if she stopped flying somewhere, could you slowly move the cage towards her? Or wait her out and see what she does? Being out is a whole new world for her... so it can be rather scary.

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@Monica luckily my mother lured her into the cage with some treats and now everything is fine. and what I realized is that she is less scared since she came out. What do you suggest me to do next?

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@sunnysmom she starts running towards my hand and tries to bite it through the bars and screams really loud

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Hm, odd. When we first got Kiwi she was a scared birdie as well and went through a biting phase. Did you do something to upset her when getting her back in her cage? Kiwi would get mad over the smallest things: new toys, if we scratched the wrong side of her head, etc. Birds are fickle and their trust breaks very easily. I would look into target/stick training, we did that with Kiwi and it worked WONDERS! Also birds love to learn, so its a good bonding exercise that you can both enjoy together. Theres an awesome thread on here about stick and clicker training, ill try to link it. Another thing you can do is just sit by her cage and read, talk, or sing. It gives them time to inspect you and get used to the "big featherless bird" in the room.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A lot of birds are cage territorial. So is she biting only when your hands are in the cage? Is she better outside of the cage?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
If she loves peppers I would show her the pepper, it’s big and bright. When she seems interested, then I would open the cage show her the pepper again and she see if she moves towards you, give her the pepper and leave her be with her pepper. You can sit there with cage door open but I wouldn’t do anything else other then talk softly and tell her how good she is. Over time you will gain her trust with the door open. Only then would I move to the next step. This is just my opinion, and what I would do.

Last edited: