• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help to tame my African ringneck

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
Hello guys so i have a Female African ringneck for almost 12 months and i can hand feed her through the bars. I've watched many youtube videos for help but almost every single video gives me a different answer:/ .What should i do next?By the way i've never tried to open her cage:hmmm:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Open that cage! Start training her not be afraid of your hands, maybe stick training? If shes completely stuck in that cage, she will be territorial and possibly aggressive. Reassure her in a soft calm voice, if she let's you feed her through the bars, then slowly try to feed her with the door open, and continue to gain her trust. Letting her out to even explore the top area of her cage will give her confidence, put treats, food, on top. Praise her, sing softly to her, time and patience. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. She's never been out? It's good for birds to have out of the cage time. You can look into target training. Also you can put a perch just outside the cage door and hang a favorite toy or treat. Leave the cage door open and let her come out on her own. She may need time if she hasn't been out to gain her confidence. Just make sure the room that she's in is safe to be let out.

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
Birdbabe no she isn't agressive at all when i first got her she was insanely scared of everything now she has calmed down and i will try to feed her with the door open :D

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
sunnysmom no she's never been out of the cage :/ i will probably try the perch technique but if she goes out of the cage what do i do how do i get her back in?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can try to get her to step up on your arm, a flat kitchen towel or a perch..but never grab her. She may surprise you and go back by herself..you'll get there.

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@Birdbabe Oh okay thank you for the tips :D how will i make her step on my arm? it sounds impossible cause she will probably be insanely scared

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just talk to her, hold a treat or favorite food on your arm and gently put your other arm under her chest and say " step up"..if she does,,you praise her. You might get nipped at, but,,we all have..good luck..were all here to help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Treats are often a good way too to get her to go back in. Is there any food that she really loves?

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@sunnysmom she adores chilli peppers i give her like 1 per day but usually i am giving her almonds

Last edited:

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@Birdbabe so basically now i open her cage till she comes and take food from my hand and then i let her to go out of the cage alone?

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Basically. But first be sure there is nothing in the room that can hurt her. No other pets, no plants, nothing with pewter or lead like stained glass or figurines. Close all doors and windows. Be sure you watch her the whole time.

If she flies away when you try to have her step up on your arm, use one of the perches from her cage.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Any room they will ever go out in needs to be free of dangerous things. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye.

They should never be out unsupervised. Only if you are in the room.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If she likes almonds, you can give her a piece of almond as a training treat. Or give her a pepper to get her to go back I her cage. : )

alex9er

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex
@sunnysmom okay i will try i hope she gets out of the cage thank you for the tips :D i will tell you how the process is going to go :)
:D

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.