• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help - Macaw poop and its itchyness

deemo

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys,

So my MAC has really watery poops, is this normal?

And it seems he has dandruff, I dont know what to do, Im trying showers and misting but nothing is helping, I live in Dubai, Its really Hot and Humid here, The powdery stuff is everywhere on my desk :/ He also does not stop scratching his head with his foot,

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi guys,

So my MAC has really watery poops, is this normal?

And it seems he has dandruff, I dont know what to do, Im trying showers and misting but nothing is helping, I live in Dubai, Its really Hot and Humid here, The powdery stuff is everywhere on my desk :/ He also does not stop scratching his head with his foot,
Hmm parasite infestation? Can't be sure without seeing it. Any photos? Being that your in dubia, and it's hot and humid, perhaps a good bath or shower for bird might sooth itching. As for the watery poo, that's best to be looked at by a certified vet.
There's a few experts here with macaws.
So hang tight!
@Hankmacaw
@Macawnutz
@Shezbug

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt often has watery poop after lots of veg and fruit. I panicked for a long time and was constantly calling the vet who made me take pictures of each poop and also keep a food diary to make sure it was from the food he ate (she had recently seen him and was happy with his health being clear of any problem) and as it turns out his cause for loose poop was the amount of fresh foods he eats.
When Burt is getting lots of new feathers there is ten times extra dry dust/skin. I have found since he has RPO (red palm oil) daily his dryness during moulting is not as bad. I do mist him much more often when he’s getting new feathers to help as well.
If you’re in a very dry environment (house a/c) you may benefit from a humidifier?

Hankmacaw and macawnutz will be able to give you much better help than I can with your issues (plus they explain things better) so sit tight for their input :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you can give a brief run down if his diet that may also help with working out the watery poop.

Burt spends half the day rubbing/scratching his own head because he enjoys it, what kind of scratching is your bird doing?

Photos or video could be helpful for ML and Sarah also.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Pictures of the poop and what he eats would be helpful.

As for the dandruff, new feathers are grown in shafts that are preened open as they grow. It can make quite a mess and be mistaken for an issue to new birds owners. Are you seeing new feather mess?