• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help for getting a new friend for my adult cockatiel

Sonea

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hello again. You guys helped me before when my birdie was sick. Thanks a lot. She is feeling pretty good now. So good in fact she is constantly looking for companionship.
I say she but we don't know the gender. She has the mannerisms of a female tiel so... Still I hesitate getting another cockatiel and risk eggs and babies.
I was thinking of getting a budgie. Is a baby budgie would be alright?
They will have separate cages of course.
I was thinking of rescuing an adult budgie but A vet said to me the budgie may bully my tiel? Budgerigars have more dominant personalities maybe?
If I get a baby budgie and get them used to each other veeery slowly, will there be a bigger change of them getting along?
I will worry about the young budgie in either way. My tiel is very energetic, cuddly and could come on to budgie pretty strong that's why I thought of getting an adult in the first place.
Looking forwards to your replies

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you have a picture of her? Many mutations can be sexed visually. I am not personally good at doing this, however some members seem to be very knowledgeable about this.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You will get eggs from any female parrot. I think a budgie and a cockatiel will be good buddies if introduced to eachother very gradually.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels tend to do best with other tiels. Have you thought about getting a second one? We can maybe help you figure out the sex. Budgies although smaller do tend to have bossier personalities than tiels. But if housed separately and supervised it shouldn't be a problem.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would get a second tiel. If you can get a separate cage for a budgie then why not just get a separate cage for another cockatiel in case they are not the same sex or don’t get along enough to share a cage. This will make your cockatiel happier and will be easier for you. Budgies can easily bully cockatiels and you might end up constantly policing them. Also, as mentioned, female tiels can lay eggs even without a mate.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
I agree that a second cockatiel would be ideal! Sometimes, shelters will allow you to bring a bird back in exchange for another if they don't get along with your current bird (this was offered to me in regards to getting Lychee for Peaches).