• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help cleaning cockatiel

Sabeli

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sanet
Hi everyone! I apologise if this has been asked already - I couldn't find anything to help. My baby cockatiel (about 12 weeks, don't know if it still counts a baby hehe) has hardened porridge around her beak. I've tried putting her (presumably) in water like proposed to encourage her to take a bath but she isn't acting on it. How do I help her to get it off? I feel really bad for her: it looks really uncomfortable. I am busy weaning her, not having much success at it though, from porridge. I will appreciate any pointers and/or advice.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Have you tried gently wiping his beak with warm water?

Sabeli

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sanet
Yes but it only helps a for the new porrigde with sticks - when I try to wipe the harder parts, no matter how gently, she starts squirming ans squeeling

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Cotton balls moistened with warm water. Wipe, repeat, wipe, repeat, etc.
It will take quite a while, but it will come off. The trick is to be super gentle and keep repeating.
Hold the cotton ball or q tip on the hard food, then after a few seconds wipe, then repeat.
Don´t pick or pull the food, it will pull feathers and hurt the chick.
Good luck :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, you need to be sure to clean your bird after every feeding so that the formula does not dry and get hard.