• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help buying cat stuff please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd like to purchase some QUALITY cat food and cat toys/ products as gifts for my two god cats.

What brands/items do you recommend and where can I purchase this online.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Where's Martine - she and DH have a holistic Pet Store - Waggles Pet Bowl

pm her and she can help you put together some terrific kitty goodies

(Jazell, Byron and Misty approved!! ;) )

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
My cats love something called
"We Pity the Kitty" from Three
Dog Bakery. It can be ordered from them
on line. We call it "kitty cocaine" because
our cats are addicted to it.:hehe: It is really
dried salmon treats. Cats can be pretty
picky about their actual food. May have to be
what they always eat.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Yes, freeze dried salmon and chicken are usually a huge hit. Also, fresh/dried catnip :)
I've bought and had good luck with the dog line of this product. Human Grade Dehydrated Pet Food | Natural Pet Food and Supplements | The Honest Kitchen
Cats tend to be picky eaters and can be difficult to switch over to other products, but the freeze dried food could always be sprinkled over their normal food. The wishes treats might be a good dehydrated treat option.
I also like Evo products a lot (Grain-Free Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food & Dog Treats – Meat-Based Pet Food – EVO Pet Products). Their stuff tends to be higher in protien, and since a cat is a carnivore, they need higher protein contents (compared to dogs that are scavengers and known to eat more vegetation in the wild)
As far as toys go, I had (should still have somewhere), the small wool ball from these guys: Amazing handcrafted cat toys. Organic, natural, ecofriendly. Handcrafted in the USA.
But usually I would find cat toys from charities that were raising money for their groups and buy their home-made toys... Stuff that you can put catnip into is usually fun for cats, or a laser pointer, just need to be careful not to point it into the cat's face...

EDIT: Sorry, remembering now that you're from Canada... But the Evo and the Honest Kitchen would probably be available in a quality pet specialty store, we have a few in this area, they're a much smaller scale and only local, unlike the other big pet superstores...

Last edited:

patagonian

Hit the Road
I agree with Erika I feed EVO products to my cat...does very well on them...evo, innova, california natural...thats the whole line

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
I've gotten Orijen for my 8yo kitty the last few months, it has made a huge difference in her coat and weight! She's such a picky eater, but approves of this one. :rolleyes:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I feed my cat the Blue Wilderness (much like Evo, Annova, etc.)
REALLY likes it. Nice solid protein diet.
And I keep a stock of laser pointers on hand as exercise options :D favorite toy!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
You have cats??? :p
oh just read god cats-got it! :)
PM me

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH, I missed that part! lol

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
I would like to point out that EVO has been bought out by P&G, and are pretty much guaranteed to change their recipe to something of lesser quality. Also keep in mind that they have around two months to change the recipe on the bag. Meaning they can have something of poor quality on there, but still have the old recipe up. I would never recommend their products again now.

I can only really recommend some food, since cats in general will be happy with a piece of string or ribbon. XD

Go for anything grain free. Wellness, wellness core, orijen, taste of the wild, etc. are all good brands. I personally like the wellness cat treats, they have barely any ingredients in them. Wellness Pure Delights® Turkey & Salmon

As for actual food I like Taste of the Wild, but that's just me. Oh! If you wanted to get them some cans of high quality wet food as treats you cannot go wrong with Merrick. Just looking at the ingredients makes me drool, lol. Merrick Pet Foods - Pet Foods

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
This is our progression with the cats.
Natural Balance
Nature's Variety
Taste of the Wild
Nature's Variety
Orijen
Nature's Variety

Taste of the Wild was when we were broke for awhile. The cats didn't really like Orijen.
Nature's Variety has been good to us and I use it for my dog as well.
The cats eat the Instinct formulas and loved the Duck, Chicken and Rabbit.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I would like to point out that EVO has been bought out by P&G, and are pretty much guaranteed to change their recipe to something of lesser quality. Also keep in mind that they have around two months to change the recipe on the bag. Meaning they can have something of poor quality on there, but still have the old recipe up. I would never recommend their products again now.

I can only really recommend some food, since cats in general will be happy with a piece of string or ribbon. XD

Go for anything grain free. Wellness, wellness core, orijen, taste of the wild, etc. are all good brands. I personally like the wellness cat treats, they have barely any ingredients in them. Wellness Pure Delights® Turkey & Salmon

As for actual food I like Taste of the Wild, but that's just me. Oh! If you wanted to get them some cans of high quality wet food as treats you cannot go wrong with Merrick. Just looking at the ingredients makes me drool, lol. Merrick Pet Foods - Pet Foods
:omg: Thanks, didn't know that! I would have to agree with other's food choices then, most recently the pups have been on Orijen and Wellness (along with Nature's Variety - my fav, a raw food)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have cats??? :p
oh just read god cats-got it! :)
PM me
:p Ah!! I forgot about you store. :pWhat happened to your beautiful siggie?:huh: Will purchase for next time. Do you ship to Canada?:)
I ended up purchasing a HUGE holiday basket of Wellness canned food and treats, and some stainless steel bowls.:)
I have no clue what cats like.:o:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
you did great!! :)

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I love Wellness and Natural Balance for food for cats - or Naturals Active Cat in a pinch. Make sure its the Active cat because it has higher and better quality protein than their maintenance.

The absolute best toy for cats is called "Da Bird". Its a feather toy that allows owner and cats play together. The cats love how the feathers spin and owners love it because once the cats destroy it you just have to replace the feather clip instead of the whole toy. I'm sure you can get them online, but I'm not sure where because I always got mine from cat shows.

Another good toy that you can pick up just about anywhere is a laser pointer. They love them!

Status
Not open for further replies.