1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Need help about Guardian Angel

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Lovemybudgies4, 11/3/17.

1. Lovemybudgies4

Lovemybudgies4 Strolling the yard

hi,
    Where should I order guarding angel from for my bird? Looks like she is sick but my father is letting me take her to vet. I just applied for Nationwide Pet Insurace but it'll take some days to get approval. If my dad won't take her to vet said last time as I spent $371.00 but if he won't take her today then I would take her on monday early morning hopefully all by myself as I can't find any ride and I've never drove that far all alone. I think guardian angel product will be helpful for her in the meantime. Which size I should get 40g or 80g? Guardian Angel- Emergency Supplement For Sick Birds What other soft food should I give her I give them boiled veggies mix which she ate some. Her feathers look rough I guess both her feathers are also falling like she is having molting? I see few pin feathers on her head but not a whole lot. Let me know if you guys need to see her picture too? Thanks for all help. Please pray that my dad would take her to vet today doesn' t matter if we miss her appointment as its at 3:30 pm today but my dad haven't came from work yet so but still have time for walk in and that place is 45 mins away so. She had bacterial infection 2 months ago and got Enroflaxin (Baytril) which was supposed to be given orally 0.03cc but she won't take it that way so I gave her in drinking water small amount though and she got better afterwards completely. But now seems sick. Keep her in your prayers please. Is there any other product that I should get which would boost her immune system or give her strength?

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Sorry your bird is sick. What are her symptoms. I'm not familiar with Guardian Angel. You can also try applying for Credit Care. I've had friends use it for their pets and they have been very happy with it. I think you get approved right away........ I hope you get her to a vet today.

3. Lovemybudgies4

I couldn't get her to vet today which sucks. Her vet doesn't come tomorrow even the clinic is open tomorrow from 8:00 to 12:00 pm only. But I can't afford to take her to see the other vet in that clinic because they charge too much than my bird's vet. They've 2 other vet but don't think they would help me by cutting some charge or lowering her vet bill. I'm just so stuck and feeling bad you can't even understand what I'm going through. How come you guys don't know about guardian angel as on many bird forums its advised to have it on hand so whenever the bird feels sick or seems sick you can try to give them this small amount our on their food or mix in water to help them gain some strength.

4. Lovemybudgies4

Tell me how CareCredit works as so many people told me that its just like any other credit card we still have to pay what we owe nothing different. Is that true? I was thinking to apply for that but when I heard this on budgie's/parakeet's facebook group which made me disappointed.

5. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    It is Credit Card- not pet insurance. My understanding is you have a set amount of time to pay it off with no interest. So for instance, my friend's dog's surgery was $1400, and she made monthly payments at no interest for a set period of time.

6. Lovemybudgies4

I've read some bad reviews about that card on their facebook page. One lady wrote saying her friend paid monthly installments but at the end carecredit company made her pay the last month's installment that she already had paid but they didn't accepted that and asked her to pay them $300 again so she said her friend had to pay that extra $$ to get rid of the card. So that scared me a whole lot and so I never applied it. So basically your friend paid the whole thing upfront using that CareCredit card but then she paid that amount in installment to the CareCredit company. Right? @sunnysmom

Last edited: 11/3/17
  7. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    I have Care credit. I have mostly used it for myself, for dental work, but I have used it at the vet once as well.

As long as you pay all of your balance in a timely manner you never have to pay interest or fees.

sunnysmom and Lovemybudgies4 like this.
  8. Lovemybudgies4

Thank you @Crazy Bird Lady and @sunnysmom Last question where should I ask/see help for finding fostering home for my budgies as seems like I might would need in future but not sure where to post about it on this forum? Thanks in adv

sunnysmom likes this.
  9. sunnysmom

Michelle
    Maybe under Rehome Highway- but just put in the title maybe that it's for fostering, not actually rehoming.

Lovemybudgies4 likes this.
  10. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Mary Lynn Skinner
    I too have never heard of Guardian Angel, but I looked it up on the internet. It seems that it is the standard vitamin supplement with a few probiotics added. The problem with vitamin supplements is that it is easy to over supply some vitamins and cause additional problems

Active ingredients: (per kg unless stated otherwise) Vitamin A 377,000ius, Vitamin D3 47,700 ius, Vitamin E 943mg, Vitamin K, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine), Vitamin B12, Biotin, Choline Bitartrate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin C. Minerals include: selenium, iron, cobalt, manganese, copper, magnesium, zinc, sulphur, sodium and iodine, potassium, calcium. Allicin concentrate, glucose polymers, nucleotides, L-carnitine tartrate, Freeze dried beneficial bacteria: L. casei casei 40 mil cfus/gram, E. faecium 120 mil cfus/gram

Fat soluble vitamins can be stored in the body and become toxic water soluble vitamins are not stored (they are excreted through the natural body functions). Here is a detailing of which is which and what the effect of overdosing is. There refernce of Avian Medicine is the very best in the world.

Below is a listing of Potential Toxic Effects of
    Vitamins when given in Excess
    The following information is compiled from AVIAN MEDICINE: Principles and Applications by Ritchie, Harrison and Harrison

Vitamin A: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 2500.00 IU/kg Recommended: 5000.00 IU/KG
    Vitamin A: 20-100 times required amount
    Weight loss
    Decreased food intake
    Swelling and/or crusting eyelids
    Inflammation of the mouth
    Inflammation of the nares
    Decreased bone strength
    Dermatitis
    Hepatopathy (excess storage in the liver)
    Hemorrhaging

Vitamin D3: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 500.00 IU/kg Recommended: 1000.00 IU/kg*
    Vitamin D3: 4-10 times the required amount
    Increased calcium absorption
    Increased bone resorption
    Hypercalcemia
    Decreased PTH
    Mineralization of soft tissue
    Nephrocalcemia (excess calcium to the kidneys)
    Polyuria

Vitamin E: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 15.00 IU/kg Recommended: 20.00*
    Vitamin E: 100 times required
    Decreased growth
    Anemia
    Increased prothrombin time (increased time for blood to coagulate)
    Decreased bone mineralization
    Decreased liver storage of vitamin A

Vitamin K: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 0.80 ppm Recommended: 1.00 ppm
    Vitamin K: 1000 times required amount
    High mortality
    Anemia
    Hyperbilirubinemia

Niacin: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 40.00 ppm Recommended: 75.00 ppm
    Niacin: 10 times required amount
    Flushing – vasodilation
    Pruritus
    Gastroenteritis

Pyridoxine: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 4.00 ppm Recommended: 10.00 ppm
    Pyridoxine: 50 times the required amount
    Decreased egg production
    Infertility

Choline Chloride: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 750.00 ppm Recommended: 1000.00 ppm
    Choline Chloride: 2 times required amount
    Increased mortality
    Decreased use of Vitamin B6

Calcium: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 0.30 % Recommended: 0.50%*
    Calcium: 2.5% in excess of diet
    Nephrosis
    Visceral gout
    Renal gout
    Hypercalcemia
    Hypophosphotemia
    Decreased food intake

Magnesium: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 5000.00 ppm Recommended: 600.00 ppm
    Magnesium: 20 times the required amount
    Decreased growth
    Decreased egg production
    Decreased egg quality

Manganese: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 60.00 ppm Recommended: 75.00 ppm
    Manganese: 20-50 times required amount
    Iron deficiency

Selenium: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 0.10 ppm Recommended: 0.10 ppm
    Selenium: 50 times the required amount
    Decreased weight gain
    Weight loss
    100 times required amount
    Decreased egg weight
    Decreased hatchability
    Dermatitis
    Severe Excess
    Blind staggers
    Pulmonary congestion/edema
    Liver cirrhosis

Copper: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 6.00 ppm Recommended: 8.00 ppm
    Copper: 50 times required
    Decreased growth
    Hepatopathy
    Accumulates in liver
    Death

Zinc: Recommended daily allowances
    Min: 40ppm Recommended: 50 ppm
    Zinc: 10-20 times the required amount
    Gastroenteritis
    Decreased food intake
    Anemia
    Decreased bone mineralization
    Depression

NOTE:* Increased levels are suggested for growth/breeding diets due primarily to the high requirements for adequate chick growth as opposed to increased demands for low level breeding.*

NOTE: Not included in this list are phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride, iron and iodine. I will try to add as I research.
    NOTE: Toxicity unlikely because the following is water soluble nutrients and not stored in the body.
    Thiamine (rapidly excreted by kidneys)
    Riboflavin (rapidly excreted by kidneys0
    Pantothenic acid
    Folic Acid
    Cyanocobalamin
    Vitamin C

A birds nutritional needs change with it is Deliberated (sick)

Vitamin C: A healthy bird is able to synthesize (manufacture) its own vitamin C. When there is hepatic (liver) damage there is a need for increased Vit. C to compensate for the lowered synthesizing of this nutrient in the body.

Vitamin D: Disease that affects the liver and kidneys, the enzymes required to produce the metabolically active form of vitamin D3 are impaired, thus the bird would benefit from FSL (Full Spectrum) therapy.

Vitamin K: Vitamin K is synthesized from the intestinal flora in the intestinal tract. Antibiotic treatments can interfere with this so it may be necessary to provide vitamin K.

Vitamin B Complex: In the case of a bird that is anorectic may be beneficial to provide additional B vitamins, especially thiamine. Other water soluble vitamins such as riboflavin, pyndoxine and folic acid are important for protein and energy metabolism, therefore these vitamins have increased importance in a disease state.

Zinc: If the bird is nutrient deficient zinc will improve healing and is an important component in protein synthesis. Therefore zinc is necessary for the maintenance of the immune system and phagocytic activity. Some interesting facts on Zinc from Dr. Harrisons site: Zinc is a cofactor for the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. Zinc plays a role in cell division, cell stability, protein metabolism, and carbohydrate digestion. It aids in wound healing and lymphocyte productions. Deficiency can reduce the number or T cells and decrease natural killer cell activity.

Copper enhances the development of red and white blood cells. Deficiency reduces the maturation of lymphocytes.

Magnesium is crucial for lymphocyte growth. Deficiency reduces the levels of immunoglobulin and antibody forming cells and promotes production of free radicals and lipid peroxidation.

Some Common Terms:
    Hypovitaminosis means deficiency of one or more essential vitamins.
    Hypervitaminosis means a condition produced by ingestion of excessive amounts of vitamins.

There are 2 categories of vitamins:
    Fat-soluble vitamins, which are: A, D, E, and K. Fat-soluble vitamins are stored in the body, and build up in the liver and fatty tissues. Feeding excessive amounts of vitamins (such as a pellets diet or fortified diet with supplemental vitamins) can cause the fat soluble vitamins to build up an allergic reaction or a toxicity. In either case this can cause an intense itch under the skin which results in plucking to relieve the itch. Also some foods that have corn can cause allergic reactions that contribute to plucking. If plucking is around the flank of the bird this could indicate an irritation to the kidneys.

Water-soluble vitamin/nutrients are: The B family (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12) Biotin, Choline, Folic acid, Insotol, PABA, C, P (bioflavonoids). Water-soluble nutrients are NOT stored in the body. They are excreted daily, thus they need to be constantly replenished during times of stress, molting, etc, and the best way to supplement is with Brewers Yeast.

11. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Mary Lynn Skinner
  12. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Jogging around the block

Robin
    @Hankmacaw that was Some very good information! Thanks for sharing!

saroj12 and Hankmacaw like this.
  13. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    I also recommmend Care Credit, remember that on the Internet sometimes the reviews aren't true or there is more to the story. ;)

I use Guardian Angel for finches, it is extremely helpful when they are sick/stressed. I get mine from ladygouldian.com.

Lovemybudgies4 and saroj12 like this.
  14. Lovemybudgies4

What if I typed my bird's clinic zipcode but it doesn't show that clinic's name in that list? Does that mean that clinic doesn't accept carecredit or not carecredit doesn't support that clinic so I can't use it for that clinic?

15. Lovemybudgies4

My female budgie Picu has lost 10 grams but she was overweight since long time she was used to 40grams but I'll check her papers to see 2 months ago how much she was exactly because I guess 2 months ago when vet find out she had bad bacterial crop infection (more than my baby budgie Sophia had on that time) she was down to 33grams I guess so after 2 months ago I guess she lost those 2 more grams. Can antibiotic for 1 month cause this all? Because they were on antibiotic which was only recommended for Sophia (female young budgie) and Picu (female budgie who is currently sick) but I put that medicine for 14 days in their drinking water so all of my 4 budgies were drinking that. After 14 days then I gave them the other crop infection antibiotic which was for my male budgie who had crop infection in January this year but he got that infection again so I started giving them in their drinking water but I asked my vet that do I've to separate my male budgie and just give him his medicine she said no I can give them all that. So I think 14 days of one antibiotic and then 14 days of another antibiotic made my Picu sick and could be the reason of her losing weight during this time? She said her weigh is all good as she isn't under weight etc as she used to be overweight but if she gets to 25 grams then it should be worry some. Another question how can I give her healthy food so she can still gain some weigh so that way she can have some more strength in her body even if she eats normal or less but that food will help her for those 2 things? Vet told me any boiled rice is fine but then she said don't give it to her as it could block her crop or slow her digestion of her food and it can make her crop swollen? Thanks guys for your all help. I'm trying my best and want to do anything that would help her bounce back.

16. Lovemybudgies4

So what should I put while applying for CareCredit? I think it asks for doc or vet information? My doctors are all local but vet is 45mins away but it doesn't show that bird clinic in their list even bird clinic has different zipcode. So what should I do guys please help!?? Can someone please help me out how to apply for this card? Its also asking for estimated procedure $$? What should I chose from the options as its asking what I should be using this card for? Sorry I know I think I shouldn't be posting this on this thread so maybe if you can message me about this card instead of here so other members don't get confused about my bird's health and this? Or if you can move this question to where its supposed to be please do so and let me know where you've moved this question to? Thank you so much.

Last edited: 11/7/17
  17. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Goodness! What a pain. Can you call the clinic you want to go to, explain, and see what they tell you to put on the Care Credit app? I'm sure you're not the first to have this problem.

You are probably ok posting here, since we were talking about Care Credit. :)

18. Lovemybudgies4

Okay my vet told me to separate my sick bird just so she is the only one who will drink her medicine through her drinking water so my other 3 budgie's stomach/tummy won't get disturbed if I don't put her in separate cage so they all will be drinking that medicine which would be added in their drinking water. Do you think I should do this or you think I should let her be with others and so others can drink that medicine too for maybe 2 or 3 days at least so just to make sure others don't get that bacterial infection or if they have they would get rid of that? Also our vet didn't do the swab test on my female budgie name Picu as I asked her to. Is that okay? Because I desperately asked her to do that as it was hard to find my sick budgie's poop in their travel cage and she wasn't doing her business when our vet was waiting on her to see if she does it so that way she could do the lab test of her poop. So she just picked out the poop where she was sitting after our vet put her back in their travel cage and she guessed that maybe that poop was her's which I think I might have not her's? What's your input on this? Honestly I'm so mad that she didn't took the swab test of her crop as when she went to do the lab test after that I completely forgot about that but I told her to do that before she left to do lab test of bird's poop. I need suggestion about separating her especially. She lives fine in her cage with others. They don't bother her at all she sleeps when she wants to and no other male budgie tries to disturb her at all. Other female baby budgie takes naps beside my Picu seems like she is guardian of her and taking care of her even they never get along like they're not friends. lol ;)

19. finchly

Tanya
    Since your vet said to separate them, I would do that. Unneeded medication is not good for your babies.

Things tend to be rushed during a vet visit, at least for me. So I write everything down, go over my list,and sometimes go back over it if they were jumping around and not finishing things. Which it sounds like yours wasn't. Remember, you're paying for a service, so it is ok to politely make sure you get what you request.

Can you call back and ask for the swab test? Maybe they woudn't charge for another office visit.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)