• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need guidance on how to help an older Parrotlet

savethemall

Moving in
Hello - I am seeking help as I am considering adopting a female parrotlet. I was originally searching for a special needs bird (the size of a cockatiel or smaller) to take in that couldn't fly (medical needs is not an issue). My search has been overwhelming and sad but I did come across a female parrotlet that was used for breeding. As soon as she no longer produced viable eggs, the breeder dumped her and her mate. Sadly, I was told her mate died without warning. She is estimated about 6-7 years old, could be a bit older. Her story breaks my heart. They did go to the vet and the vet felt the male was older then claimed.

I have read posts and other have advised to walk away from these types of birds. I don't want to walk away and feel what happened to this bird is wrong. I need help to understand what to do to help this little girl and if coming to be part of my family would be the best for her. She would be the only bird and would travel with us in our RV during the summer. She flies to the front of her cage but as soon as you put your hand near her, she backs up. I was going to have a cage in the bedroom for night and then a cage next to me in my office while I work. Does anyone have any similar situations and what did you do? If not, what are some helpful hints to give this girl a loving life for the time she has left? My concern is what is best for her.

Appreciate any guidance!

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Welcome and thank you for considering a special needs bird!!!
I know you'll read on here "birds are social and like lots of attention..." but that is not always the case, especially when it comes to older birds who have had a hard life. If you want a bird who is guaranteed to travel happily with you she might not be the one.
I do PT and originally got my macaw thinking he could come to the clinic with me and interact with people all day, because all birds are social and would love that right? Nope. He HATED coming to work with me and still prefers to stay at home near his cage. Traveling stresses him out and he will never be a bird we can take places for fun.
I am not trying to deter you from getting her, but just be prepared for the possibility she may not enjoy leaving home :)
Rescue birds require so much patience. If you do get her spend time talking and feeding lots of treats! Let her get to know you on her own time, it's a lot easier to take the time now to properly bond than to rush it and try to fix the relationship later.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for considering taking the parrotlet into your home. Patience is very important. Sounds like she hasn't been socialized but with time, care, and kindness this little one will, hopefully, get over her fears and be more interactive with you. If you do get her, don't force her to interact with you. Sit near her and talk to her, eat meals near her, offer her a variety of treats.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I would get her. I got an elderly finch from a breeder this February who was moving and had to rehome a lot of her birds. The finches (I took in four of them) were on a poor quality seed diet and my poor little Fox was suffering the worst from it. A few days ago she had a bad turn of events and right now she's in a hospital cage, and I don't know if she'll survive this time (it's happened before). I don't regret getting her at all, giving her a good place to live out her last days has even immensely rewarding. I love her and her funny quirks (like how she loves running a molted feather through her beak to pass the time), even if she's not hand tame. Time and patience will win your little guy over. Fox has improved a lot. She's actually my tamest finch, even surpassing the ones I've handled since they were 10 days!!!

... I would consider getting her a friend, maybe a hand game senior bird? It may help her be more active and mobile, and she might learn humans are good by watching the other bird go up for treats.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have my 4th parrotlet right now. This one was expensive because it was "hand tamed." It wasn't true, and it's been a somewhat long road to get him to be comfortable. What I have done is give him treats while telling him how yummy they are (just drop them into the feeder, even if the bird runs to the back or threatens to bite), talk to him a lot, and sit and read to him. Reading to my birds has been the best thing I've done.

Do NOT wrap her up in a towel to 'tame' her -- bad advice. Many people told me to do this.

I have a bird room, so I'm able to open Skittles' cage and let him fly out. In the beginning he wouldn't go back in his cage until bedtime. Sometimes he just slept wherever he was. Now he goes in when I tell him, perches where I tell him, and sits on my shoulder or in my hair. I still can't touch him, this is what I wanted you to know. I do not pet him, I respect that he doesn't want to be touched. You may have this situation also. Birds need you to do what they want - not the other way around.

I think she'll be fine with what you have planned. Just take it slow. :)

savethemall

Moving in
Thank you for the information - while I would love to be able pet her head, I understand that may not ever be an option for her. And it is about her and not me and I am able to put that aside for what is best for her. Just allowing her to have her space, some peace and to actually fly is what I can find comfort in. She was not what I originally sought but finding her makes me think there is a reason we met.

savethemall

Moving in
I speak on the phone a lot for my job and thought maybe I spent time working next to her, that would help! Appreciate the towel information - I saw info about using this and I am concerned about causing her extra stress. I am concerned what to feed her as it sounds like she wasn't fed the best. I guess oil sunflower seeds was big part of her diet and hoping to find food (and treats) she likes to help her to be healthy and start to like me!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Working next to her is a great idea! She'll like you. It will just take time. You're building a relationship.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you for the information - while I would love to be able pet her head, I understand that may not ever be an option for her. And it is about her and not me and I am able to put that aside for what is best for her. Just allowing her to have her space, some peace and to actually fly is what I can find comfort in. She was not what I originally sought but finding her makes me think there is a reason we met.
That is exactly why you met. Things happen for a reason. You should consider getting this Bird a companion. Not necessarily as a mate or even a friend (if that did happen it would be wonderful) because this is a Bird Bird.

Your love and caring will still allow them to trust you.

savethemall

Moving in
Would a bird around her size like a parakeet make a good friend? I found a 9 y/o male parrotlet in the same situation (former breeder) but worried that if I bring in a male, they will want to have babies or try! Are there ways to have both sexes and not have them try to reproduce? There are so many birds in need, I don't have any intention of adding to that!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you don't want babies, do not supply a nest. the eggs are not viable until they begin sitting on them, so you should be able to just toss them if you do find any on the floor or in the food dish.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Would a bird around her size like a parakeet make a good friend? I found a 9 y/o male parrotlet in the same situation (former breeder) but worried that if I bring in a male, they will want to have babies or try! Are there ways to have both sexes and not have them try to reproduce? There are so many birds in need, I don't have any intention of adding to that!
They do fine together and have very similar personalities. This is the second budgie Hal has buddied up with.
Hal ScooterX favourite ring.jpg

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Or, if they do try and breed, you can switch out for fake eggs. I have bred my pair once, but I knew their age and health was suitable, and my sister and I are keeping all (2) littles. Thank you for considering taking in this special bird!

savethemall

Moving in
Love the picture! That is good to know! If I end up adopting both, what is the wait time for the birds to be put in the same room? The birds are in their own cage but in rooms with other birds. They would be from different locations/situations.