• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
The two vets I normally use are not in this weekend. I have to wait until 9 before I can even call another vet, who is not Avian. My Australian King is having difficulties this am. Head bobbing, rubbing her beak against the perch even though there is nothing on her beak and she has not eaten, trouble perching, crop looks full. She is making her normal whistling sound and has been drinking water. Her feces just has the urine (clear) fluid and the white in it. Yesterday she was eating some of my wax plant and christmas cactus. I looked these up and they are supposed to be safe, but I did notice that her crop looked full after eating these. She did not sleep on her usual perch last night, I found her on her big fluffy swing. Is there anything I can do until I call the vet this am. Is there a way to empty her crop? I have started her with a little oregano powder, but she obviuosly is not eating much now.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I am sure someone can help, I am sending healing energy and lots of :hug8::hug8::hug8::heart::heart::heart: to both of you

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
definitely keep her warm....I dont see anything about christmas cactus either but I am going to venture something with the plant didnt agree with her at all...since this is 911 I believe some other people will be on shortly to help you out...she doesnt sound well so get a call in to that vet asap...is there no emergency #?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh no, I'm not sure, but praying she'll be okay! :hug8:Please keep us updated.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Helena do you have any unfiltered apple cider vinegar? You could add that to her water and try to get her to drink some to try and loosen what is in her crop. She needs to see a Vet ASAP. Try to keep her warm 85 degrees in her cage. Please keep us updated but do not delay on getting vet care.

jock

Moving in
Real Name
derek reid
hi it sounds like a compacted crop try gently massaging her crop and give her a little luke warm water to drink to see if it will soften whats in her crop hope she gets better soon call a vet as soon as you can thinking of you both :hug8:

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
Okay...after 5 calls to different vets, I was able to fine one 2 hours away. $350 later, he still could not tell me exactly what was wrong. Crop was not full, Gram Stain came back with surprisingly little bacteria, good muscle and feathering, said he did not think it was from the plants she ingested. He gave her oxygen, Batril and injected a liquid under her wings as she was a little dehydrated. She is now home and in her cage , drinking and ate some of the convalescent formula he gave me, but she is weak and unable to perch properly. He did say that the way she is hanging her head forward looks like she could have a headache? She just threw up the water she drank. I'm going to take her out of her cage and have her sit on the couch with me. I'll keep trying to give her water and food and the Baytril when required. I'm supposed to call him in the morning with an update.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I wouldn't take her away from the heat...the air temp around her should be in at least 85-90º to help her maintain her own temp (110º)...I also would try to find Organic Apple Cider Vinegar....to put into her water for the next couple of days...what did he say her weight was? Do you have a gram scale to weigh each morning to see if she is gaining/maintaing/loosing weight...this is VERY IMPORTANT....
Keep her warm/calm/ and in a quiet spot is the best right now...:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Did you say she only expelled urine and no feces? If I read that correctly she probably needs to void the feces, the greenary could have her bound up. I wouldn't force her to eat until she passes the plant matter. That being said don't take the food out of her cage, let her eat if she is ready.

Good luck!

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
She does have urine and feces. Right now she weighs 170 gm. She won't keep anything down. Whatever I give her, she keeps bringing up. Would it be better to keep her in her little crate? What will the apple cider vinegar do for her? Right now she is laying on her stomach with her head down. She does look up and will move away if I try to pick her up.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The plants may have been safe, BUT if the soil contains fertilizer that could also be the problem. Even safe plants can be harmful if the bird ingests any of the soil...OR if the plant is regularly fertilzed.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
She does have urine and feces.
----------------------

What about the urates?...the white part of the poop. Is it well formed and nice and white or pearly white...which is normal. or is it thin, gritty looking and when dry chalky looking...if so, that is abnormal, and a sign of impaired renal/kidney function.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I haven't seen her do poop for a while. When she did, the white was white and round, not thin. I have her in a large dog crate, with a heating pad and towel. When I tried to pick her up she flew around the room, she does look like she has what I call a sick headache. She is grinding her beak now. I will keep trying to give her fluids and food.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
Oh...no fertilizer in the plants. If the Baytril is going to be effective, how long would it normally take to see improvement? I know it will be a guesstimate, but I do not know enough about the Baytril.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If the Baytril is going to be effective, how long would it normally take to see improvement?

Ususally within an hour after the first does, and defintely by the 2nd dose. Note: in order for it to be effective there should be good digestion. If there is minimal digestion, or spitting up the bird may not be getting benefit of the meds.

I have also learned to watch the urates once on an antibiotic. urates should stay white. If the urates get a greenish cast this means the dosage may be too strong/high.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would not take her out of the cage either except for medication. Baytril is a broad spectrum anitboitic. You should start seeing improvement in a day or two. Did they do bloodwork? Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural antibacterial, antifungal. Not sure if I would do that along with the baytril. Might just be better to let the baytril do its thing. Make sure she stays hydrated. Will she accept hand feeding formula from you?

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
Right now she is not eating anything. She will take a little water. I did try to give her formula a while ago, but she threw it up. I keep trying to give her anything she might try to eat, no luck yet...

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
At the vets office did they give her an injection of Baytril or orally? The fluid given under the wing or side belowthe hip would have been either Normosol or Latated Ringers. This is done to get blood fluid volume up and if there is any dehydration. Sometimes fluid accumulation in the crop can cause dehydration because the proventriculus is regurgitating fluids drawn from the body into the crop. This is the bodys was of trying to draw out an irratant or a sign of a bacterial problem further in the body.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Can you phone the vet back and see if they can show you how to do the fluids under the skin. It is called Sub-Q (subcutaneous) fluid therapy. This may help to keep her hydrated and to also get the GI tract moving. As long as the GI tract is not moving it can aborb friendly pathogens that have turned harmful. And possibly she may also need to be on injectable Baytril until her digestive tract is moving better. If shown by the vet, you should be able to do these injectables at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.