• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice, possible rescues

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yup.

It's not just high pitched parrots that bother dogs. Paco, my YCA, sounds like a harbor seal, and his is the voice to which my JRT takes strongest exception, even though the two girl Amazons are much more high pitched and therefore harder on my ears.

:lol: That's actually a very good description of Pete as well! First he does the harbor seal and then he starts barking like a JRT, as that is the breed of dog he used to live with.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
If birds get too loud, does covering the cage work?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If birds get too loud, does covering the cage work?
Absolutley not. That is a falicy if there ever was one. Covering to thwart any behavior is mean and pointless.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Please explain why it's mean? I read that many people cover their bird cages at night so I do not understand why the idea is mean and pointless. I have never covered my birds' cages so I am not advocating this, just educating myself as well as others.

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please explain why it's mean? I read that many people cover their bird cages at night so I do not understand why the idea is mean and pointless. I have never covered my birds' cages so I am not advocating this, just educating myself as well as others.
Lovemyzons means its mean to ignore a birds' behavior (because they're trying to communicate something). Covering a cage itself isn't cruel. It's actually beneficial to prevent drafts and provide a peaceful sleeping environment. :)

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
It's the same difference as between putting human children in a dark bedroom to sleep at night and putting them in a dark room during the daytime because you don't like their behavior and don't want to deal with it in a constructive manner.

ETA: Making noise is a very natural part of bird behavior; it's how they communicate and how they express themselves. Someone who wants a quiet animal should not get a bird.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Ziggymon said it best as did Guineapigster as to covering to stop an unwanted behavior. When a bird or birds are up and active to cover them to stop them from screaming or chattering won't. If you decide to cover at night, that's great I have done it with my littles. My large cages are far to large to cover.

Most happy and well adjusted birds will quiet down and roost for the night as daylight fades.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Most happy and well adjusted birds will quiet down and roost for the night as daylight fades.
Yup, mine all put themselves to bed, and Paco and Bertie get downright irritable and start grumbling if the inside lights don't get turned off at about the same time that daylight fades.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yup, mine all put themselves to bed, and Paco and Bertie get downright irritable and start grumbling if the inside lights don't get turned off at about the same time that daylight fades.
Exactly! I love it, I come home some nights a bit late and Hoosier is in his cage already sleeping after Dave had him out a while. I go in there to change his food and water and gently touch him and he makes his nightly sound to me as I touch him it's funny but I do bother him but he knows I am just saying hi to him and have to touch his cuteness.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Covering my cages has been a learning curve, lol! I'm good at it now, but it was hard for 5'4", stubby armed me, to learn how to cover Pete's 6'3" cage :hehe: But, since all my birds were used to being covered here and in their previous homes, I've kept on doing it at night. What I'm doing with the extra large, extra tall cages is using king sized blankets and putting them over the top, sides and front only and leaving the back mostly uncovered. But, they are all up against a wall.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have not read through everyone's responses. Personally if the breeder says they are not to be pets, that means if you want to take one in, then be willing to accept it if the bird never changes. Also, don't think you are "rescuing" the bird. The bird may be coming from a very good breeder and living a good life right now. Just because its being rehomed does not mean that its being treated horribly. Now the intent of your question, if you would be disappointed if the bird was aggressive, charging the cage bars, or just never became tame, then I'd guide you away from these birds. Some amazons(mostly females but not always) that were former pets can actually convert back to being pets with surprisingly little effort. Especially if they were really well socialized and human bonded before being put into a breeding situation. I have one such female. She is currently with a mate. If for whatever reason he dies first, she would probably go back to being a pettable pet within a few weeks or less. Her mate on the other hand, no way. If Ellie dies first, I will be looking for a retired older hen to pair with him. Oscar does not want to be a pet. Trying to make him into one would just make him hate me more than he already does and would make him miserable. If you are going to rehome breeder birds, that means you really have to accept them as they are. Some of them just need a good place to land where they can just be birds. That means hang out on top of their cage and not be bothered too much. You may forever have to handle the bird with a stick and either clip it or be willing to duck if it tries an air attack. Don't think that spending a lot of time with it will make it want to like you. With amazons it isn't so much how much time you spend as what you do when you do spend time with them. Spending hours being close to a bird that resents your existence because you took it out of the aviary situation where it was happy will just make it hate you more. On the other hand, if you stop by frequently to talk to it for short periods, drop treats in the bowl on your way by, offer a scratch, but don't hang around insisting, then you might make some headway. Amazons tend to be creeped out by needy people that want to spend a lot of time with them. They are an independent species to start with and that goes double for breeder birds. Multiple very short interactions will get you further. I guess if you want to get one to fulfill some emotional need of yours and make it into a good pet, you may very well be disappointed. Its possible you could be surprised, but usually if a breeder thinks the bird might have some pet qualities, then they will advertise it as a possible pet with some work by an experienced person. If they are just outright saying, not a good pet, then I'd suggest respecting the bird and either not try to make it a pet, or purchase it with intent of find it a friend if it doesn't turn out to be a good pet. Any time you rehome a bird, you really have to have a big enough heart to love the bird even if it doesn't love you back or turn out the way you hoped and dreamed it would. And you have to be willing to do the right thing for the bird. And be willing to accept that the right thing might not be to be your pet. Very possibly the right thing will be to find it a mate. You can choose to give it a nest box or not or to let it incubate eggs. So getting it a mate doesn't necessarily mean you have to become a breeder. In my case I got a very nice pet quality female but could not shake the feeling that she would be happier with a mate. So I got her one and decided to just see how things worked out. Turns out they are a great pair and happier together. She has lost some of her pet qualities and he is atrociously aggressive. However, they are happy and that is my primary goal.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
When you cover a cage, leaving the bird in darkness so he would shut up, you are also preventing him from eating and drinking. I once went into a house to take a conure this family wanted to get rid of (a young male Sunday which happens to be a sweetheart but they did not treat him right so he screamed and bit them -their loss, my gain) and, while I was there talking about parrots and visually sexing them and mentioned that budgies were easy to sex, the young man said: "Oh, my grandmother has two parakeets, can you tell us their sex?" and, when he uncovered the cage (it was the middle of the day), one of them was dead at the bottom! I pulled him out and examined him and found him to be completely emaciated and dehydrated! He had died of starvation or dehydration and the other one was half-dead, as well! The lady did not like their constant chatter so she kept on covering them to get some peace and quiet and ended up killing them!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I have found with Mango when he loud hes trying to get my attention as he wants something like the other day I was busy not paying him no mind and he wouldn't stop he was flying past me back and forth screaming so I I stopped what I was doing and had to think WHY he was screaming lo and behold the bathroom door was open and that was wht he was screaming he wanted his shower I went in he came to I socked him and he was happy , It takes looking for reasons why your bird is loud , time of day , food water wanting you attention for a reason , It all means getting to know you bird ,

he has as much right to scream as you do asking for something only dif is you do it with words , even when he bites hes letting you know hes upset with you , with an AMAZON they have very clear ways of telling us what they want and what we are doing wrong
I can tell you every time why I have been bitten , either cause I was out or going to go out or In some way chainged my tone of voice while talking to some one or they have changed there voice or were talking with there hands yes he will attack me to leave not them,,lol , so with an AMAZON understanding them is what life is all about , punishment for get it , it is one bird that once you have taken the time to understand them they can make life easy , yes some just want to be fed and left alone its there way of life many on here have them and know they are not very friendly and never will be but love them for who they are cause there is nothing better and more fun to own and have cause even the ones you cant handle make you laugh bring you joy in so many ways

yep life is great

Nancy1129

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Sorry i dont mean to offend you and sound mean and nasty. but i think birds arent the right pet for you. if you keep having to rehome your birds then you are not ready to get new birds yet. you might wanna do more research first. please, if you want a tame companion bird you might as well pay more money for a hand fed baby instead of trying to spend less money and get a 'breeder bird' .. again sorry

Nancy1129

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
i dont know you personally, but to me it sounds like you cant really afford to buy a tame baby bird. i know breeders are cheap but you get what you paid for.
i live in a state where we always have birds available, all kinds (mostly breeders) and they are very cheap, DYH are only $250-300 each and they are not tamed. and for that price it is very tempting i know you are tempted to get the birds bcuz they are cheaper birds. then i think you probably shouldnt really have any expectations. if you want a pet companion bird then you will have to pay that price and they are not cheap, especially hand fed babies.

Nancy1129

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
i read your other threads, you mentioned about getting a lutino quaker and sneak him across the border? and you also mentioned you like rare birds...

i dont know what to say anymore, i wish you luck.

Nancy1129

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
you have had over 7 birds in the past,, like not long ago..and you have rehomed them all.. please please do more 'homework' first, we are all thinking for the birds here.