• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice please

Wendy Jones

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Jones
Hi I’m new here, I just got my 2 month old green cheeked conure, Kiki, just before Christmas. He was really sweet and cuddly at first but now whenever I take him out of his cage he acts really aggressive. He bites, even rolls onto his back and makes aggressive noises and will bite any fingers that come close. Kiki is my first parrot. I have owned cockatiels and budgies for years. I have never dealt with a aggressive biter before. Any advice will be appreciated.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Welcome to AA. Owners of green cheeks will be along to offer sage advice. Rolling on his back to bite sounds odd as that would be putting himself in a vulnerable postion, I wouldn't think that was the stance of an aggressive biter, sounds more like not knowing beak strength during play. Maybe try giving him a toy when he is on his back? Or wait for the cheeky experts to come along...He is still a very young bird. I have a CAG, totally different type of bird and not really known for going on their backs...

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like he was taken away from siblings too young and didn't get a chance to learn what "too hard" is. An aggressive bird will not roll onto its back to bite unless he is given no other choice. When he bites, put him down immediately and turn your back. That's body language for I DON'T LIKE THAT. Don't scream or make a fuss, it'll just add to the excitement.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Kiki. He may be cage territorial and not want you to put your hands in the cage to remove him.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I agree that he he was taken away before he learned what “too hard” was. I’d try giving him a wiffle ball or a foot toy he can play with. That part doesn’t sound like aggressive behavior. As for the cage aggression, we adopted a green cheek the year before last (she was 9 at the time) she was extremely aggressive and bit the snot out of me several times. She would do it mainly when I went to get her out of the cage. So when she bit me, I would calmly take my hand away, shut the cage door and walk away. A few times of this and rewarding her when she didn’t bite, and it’s now a year and a half later and I haven’t been bitten since. She doesn’t like to be touched except on her terms, but she no longer bites when I take her out. And since I let her wings grow out to where she can fly, she’s a much happier and healthier bird.

I dont think it’s really so much aggression as it is testing boundaries but not knowing how hard with his beak. Try calmly walking away, meaning no words when he bites hard. You’re gonna get bit fixing it. The first time that he comes out of his cage without biting, reward him with a treat. Mine usually work for safflower seeds, a piece of millet, Avicake or nutriberry.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Do you take the conure out or let him come out on his own?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Many people use the term aggression when speaking about their bird. I think that indicates a need for more understanding of the nature of parrots in general. There is always a reason and its usually related to the human not observing body language.

Flock Call - Understanding your Companion Parrot

Wendy Jones

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Jones
Welcome to AA. Owners of green cheeks will be along to offer sage advice. Rolling on his back to bite sounds odd as that would be putting himself in a vulnerable postion, I wouldn't think that was the stance of an aggressive biter, sounds more like not knowing beak strength during play. Maybe try giving him a toy when he is on his back? Or wait for the cheeky experts to come along...He is still a very young bird. I have a CAG, totally different type of bird and not really known for going on their backs...

Wendy Jones

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Jones
He loves to be out of his cage. Whenever anyone comes close he is at his door calling. I don’t put my hand into his cage to take him out he hops onto my hand as soon as I open his door. He also will bite when he doesn’t get his own way. He never bites when I do have my hands inside his cage when taking or putting anything inside it. When he bites is when he is out. He will be sitting on my leg or climbing up and will roll on his back with his feet up. At first I thought it was cute and would scratch his belly but now when he he rolls onto his back the sounds he makes appear to be aggressive. Maybe he is only playing, but his bites hurt. I don’t jump or appear hurt. I tell him no and say no biting and put him back into his cage immediately every time he bites. He absthates to be put back and I think he is starting to get it. Yesterday I started opening the top of his cage and letting him come out and he chose to fly over to visit me. He was out for quite awhile before he bit. Then he was immediately put back. I am trying to learn so thanks for all the advice.