• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Need advice for my African Grey

AfricanGreyGR

Moving in
Hello everyone,
This is my first post, and unfortunately it's in this section. Unsure if it's the right one but I have an African Grey parrot he's about 15 y.o, a few hours ago, i've noticed he was heavy breathing out of the blue, he kept sneezing and shaking his head. I kind of panicked, but it's really late right now therefore no vets are open. I've tried googling the symptoms and after excessive research - the symptoms are leaning towards Aspergillosis infection - and the thought of losing him devastates me as this infection is quite serious from what i've read. The room is ventilated every day, clean and it's been this way for 15 years. Idk what went wrong. I've went through every possible scenario in my mind and after research i've found some supplements suggested if the situation turns ugly. What do you suggest me do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
the symptoms are leaning towards Aspergillosis infection
How did you come up with that diagnosis from one single event that has never happened before? Explain.

i've noticed he was heavy breathing out of the blue, he kept sneezing and shaking his head.
This is more the symptoms of an airborne irritant or even something he ingested. How long did it last?

Only a vet could make a diagnosis like that after some testing. Which is now your course of action. Get him in ASAP for a workup. If it is what you fear he's going to need meds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That seems like a big conclusion to jump to. Hopefully you can take him to the vet tomorrow and that it’s something less serious. Keep us posted!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with the other posts that the best thing to do is take him to the vet.
Welcome to AA. Hope your Grey will be OK.

AfricanGreyGR

Moving in
How did you come up with that diagnosis from one single event that has never happened before? Explain.

This is more the symptoms of an airborne irritant or even something he ingested. How long did it last?

Only a vet could make a diagnosis like that after some testing. Which is now your course of action. Get him in ASAP for a workup. If it is what you fear he's going to need meds.
Oh my God, ive just waken up, I've just checked up on him and he's fine, he's not even heavy breathing, and he's speaking just fine! Could it be something he ingested and was able to get rid off it ?

I know I'm no vet, the diagnosis sounded something really "weird" but viewing YouTube videos and reading is the only thing that fitted the equation, I just panicked hard, and at this point of my life I always expect the worse, thank you for your response either way.

He seems just fine right now, he's whistling & talking, no weird breathing, nothing. I'd like to thank this forum again, and I hope you'll excuse my "fears and panic", I shall keep you posted about how he's doing

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would take this time to get him into the vet and just get a checkup. Even if you think he is feeling better. Respiratory infections can cause symptoms as you are describing and they can come and go. Easy to treat if caught early but birds hide symptoms often until it's too late.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Greys are very dusty birds, how often does he get showers?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Be careful what you get from the internet Dear, all birds sneeze, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. There are wet and dry sneezes, wet sneezes are a concern if and when theres a nasal discharge. Keep him regularly misted or bathed,obviously in a warm area, and wipe his dust down from the walls, cage, perches, ect. Only you know him and if you feel something is off, then a vet check would be best. They are masters of disguise when not feeling well. Hope hes ok.

AfricanGreyGR

Moving in
Hello guys! First and foremost I'd like to thank all of you for your concern and your advice which I take very seriously! I talked to a vet about it, he told me not to worry about it unless he starts breathing heavily again! Today he was okay, kept talking whistling, eating normally. I only noticed during midday he'd just sit and sleep a little , he just seemed cold so I made sure the temperature is just fine by turning the heating on, I shall keep you posted, thank you again for your concern I very much appreciate everything you say!

AfricanGreyGR

Moving in
Hello everyone, it's been a while! I hope everyone is doing well. A quick update : my little man is doing well, every day I make sure the room is well ventilated, I make sure his cage is clean and I also make sure the temperature is warm and proper cause I turn the heat on. I guess it was a little cold like the vet said. With the weather change I had neglected to turn the heat on, so that was that! I thank you everyone again for your concern and advice!