• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nebulizing isn't for sissies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I hope that little monkey Olive knows she has so many friends hoping for a speedy recovery

The night he died he had his face stuck right next to the oxygen outlet.
:sad1: poor Hanky

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Hey Ellen how is little Olive doing?
OOO and that is Micky asking first...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Do you think maybe she was just regurgitating for you possibly out of nervousness being in the box, but not necessarily because of nausea?
Is there a risk for her eyes if it burns?
:hug8: for Olive & you Ellen!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think maybe she was just regurgitating for you possibly out of nervousness being in the box, but not necessarily because of nausea?
Is there a risk for her eyes if it burns?
:hug8: for Olive & you Ellen!
The only time I've ever seen her regurgitate before was when she was hormonal and she was feeding my hand. She's a pretty nervous bird. I'm not sure, but I know her crop was empty tonight because she didn't eat while I was at work. I think that made a difference. My vet didn't mention it hurting her eyes, but I emailed to let her know. She might be able to give us some artificial tears or something.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We started nebulizing with ampho B again last night. For the first time, Judy threw up while being nebulized. I don't know what might have been different. She's been through it with the same dose of the same medication before. It made me think of this thread. :hug8: to you and Olive.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Ellen and Jen, you are both amazing care takers of your birds! :hug8::hug8:
Olive and Judy, c'mon and get better! :heart::heart:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
We started nebulizing with ampho B again last night. For the first time, Judy threw up while being nebulized. I don't know what might have been different. She's been through it with the same dose of the same medication before. It made me think of this thread. :hug8: to you and Olive.
Is it possible she had just eaten? That appears to be what made Olive get so sick. It is so hard to "make" them throw up. :( I hope next time will go better! I start nebulizing again today, hopefully we don't have a repeat. :fingerscrossed: Hang in there, both of you! I think the ampho B will help Judy a lot :hug8:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately Olive threw up again today. I had an appointment after work and didn't get home until late and I think she must have just eaten. :( I feel like I'm putting her in the torture chamber when she just sits there and regurges over and over.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8:Olive knows your trying to help her........I know it's an awful feeling to watch them ail. :hug8::hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry Ellen :hug8:
When I had to give Korbel the ampho B he would go into wild regurgitating fits and throw the vomit everywhere. It was awful and my vet stressed to not get the ampho b on my skin, I wore it twice a day. Someone told me to try slippery elm to help with the vomiting. I would mix 1 tsp slippery elm bark powder w/ 4 tsp water and feed it to him right after the medicine. No more regurgitating, it was a miracle to keep the medicine in him. It also calms the GI tract and does some detoxifying. I still use it everytime my birds have an odd poop. 1 tsp slippery elm, 4 hours later poops return to normal. They also love the taste. Maybe give her a small amount before the nebulizing.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry Ellen :hug8:
When I had to give Korbel the ampho B he would go into wild regurgitating fits and throw the vomit everywhere. It was awful and my vet stressed to not get the ampho b on my skin, I wore it twice a day. Someone told me to try slippery elm to help with the vomiting. I would mix 1 tsp slippery elm bark powder w/ 4 tsp water and feed it to him right after the medicine. No more regurgitating, it was a miracle to keep the medicine in him. It also calms the GI tract and does some detoxifying. I still use it everytime my birds have an odd poop. 1 tsp slippery elm, 4 hours later poops return to normal. They also love the taste. Maybe give her a small amount before the nebulizing.
Oh that is good to know. I've used slippery elm before for a sore throat. If the regurgitating continues, I'm considering just going to the clomtrimazole drops to put in her nares. When she had the klebsiella, it responded well to the drops so my vet thinks they would be good for her. Then she wouldn't need to be nebulized and it would save a lot of money, but apparently it tastes horrible and birds put up a fight. The nebulizing isn't bad as long as I do it right at 5 or 5:30, but unfortunately I can't always arrange my schedule around hers and the process takes about 45 min. I've got about 2 more days of the medicine and then I'll have to decide what to do.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Unfortunately Olive threw up again today. I had an appointment after work and didn't get home until late and I think she must have just eaten. :( I feel like I'm putting her in the torture chamber when she just sits there and regurges over and over.
:(
Thats hard

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry dear, poor baby. I hoped she wouldnt have that problem again.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.