• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural Sun Light

Yoli

Moving in
I recently adopted a female Eclectus that is 3yrs old. She is beautiful and perfect. We had chemistry from the very start. The owners decided to let me adopt her because she seem to have a liking to me more so than the other people she interviewed.
I have had several other parrots in my younger years between sun conures to B&G Macaws. So I have a fair share of parrot husbandry. I must say though, much has changed since when I had my parrots. I recently became a empty nester and thought this would be a great time to invest in a parrot in my single life again.
I always wanted an Eclectus and so off I went doing my due diligence and gathering up as much information as I could before I brought her home. I did change her named to Lupita. In my bringing her home I have two concerns.
1) My work schedule. I do work from home at least two time a week, but when I work out of the house, I can be gone for up to 12 hours. She comes from a family that was retired and spent all day with her.
2nd) While they spent a lot of time with her, most of that time was spent outside on their screened in patio.
They would let her out of her cage in the morning and she would spend most of the day outside.
When not outside, she would be in the Kitchen while her owner would cook and was fed a lot of not so good human foods.
On the most part, she has very little behavioral issues. She tends to whistle more the screech. At least for now.

My biggest concern, besides those days I will be out of the home working, is the amount of natural sun light she will be able to receive in my town home. My town home has great sun light coming in but it is not outdoor sun light and I know that she needs that.
I do not have a screen in patio. I have a small patio but it's open. I was thinking of getting her an outdoor cage to spend a few hours in the sun on those days I work from home.
Any suggestions? Your replies are much appreciated.

Thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
An outside cage like that would be perfect :) I don't have a large cage that easily fits outside or I would love to do the same. Instead I use a couple of carriers for my birds to get some sunlight. I can't do this during the winter and I can tell their feather quality suffers, so I love when it finally warms up enough for us to go outside :)

She will likely adapt to your work schedule. I would at least leave a radio on or something for her during the day when you are gone so it's not just silence.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When this bird is outside in a cage you may get she will need to be under observation the entire time. She could be stolen or gotten by a predator. Just an FYI

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She could be stolen or gotten by a predator.
I agree and also she can be to warm (that is really dangerous) or to cold, or upset/anxious so you must take her back in.
I have a big outside cage, but I always monitor my birds when they are out. Both bigger birds and cats can scare them so they freak out.

Yoli

Moving in
Thanks folks for all the good advise and your replies.
I do plan to keep a close eye on her when out on the patio. I would never dream of leaving her unattended or supervised.
And yes, about it may get a bit to warm. I live in Florida, so I would put her outside either early morning or later in the evening.

What about Spectrum light during the day. Would this be the equivalent to the same light that comes in through the windows.

Yoli

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Full spectrum light is only effective for UVB at a distance of 6 to 12 inches, which risks eye damage. Brand new bulbs even within the same company vary widely with how much they put out, and when they DO work, it's really only for 6 months.

UVB is the one they need for vitamin d3 production, and Windows filter most of it. So, it would be very similar to sunlight through a window in that regard.

Yoli

Moving in
Thank you Lil Monsters. I gotta check out your website and take a look at your toys.