• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural remedies for joint swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, Java's foot is swollen again even though everything is padded, so I'll probably end up taking him back to the vet soon for anti-inflammatory. In the meantime, I was wondering if there were any natural anti-inflammatory foods and if I should look into joint supplements or senior-targeted treats.

20181225_104816.jpg 20181229_171736.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've used willow bark for inflammation ages ago. The bark contains salicin (nature's aspirin). It took a while but my old budgie learned that stripping and chewing the bark from some young willow twigs made her feel better, and from my point of view did reduce the inflammation in her legs quite significantly. Make sure the twigs are well scrubbed before offering them.
But, you'll probably be at the vet's long before Java accepts the new twigs. Worth looking into as a long term alternative.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used willow bark for inflammation ages ago. The bark contains salicin (nature's aspirin). It took a while but my old budgie learned that stripping and chewing the bark from some young willow twigs made her feel better, and from my point of view did reduce the inflammation in her legs quite significantly. Make sure the twigs are well scrubbed before offering them.
But, you'll probably be at the vet's long before Java accepts the new twigs. Worth looking into as a long term alternative.
Where would I find willow bark?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Weeping Willow trees were my source, from the banks of a local river.
As an afterthought the bark can be boiled in water to make a tea type tincture. and used to replace the main drinking water for maybe an hour twice a day.
ETA: Health stores often sell willow bark tea. This would actually be an easier way to control the dose.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Weeping Willow trees were my source, from the banks of a local river.
As an afterthought the bark can be boiled in water and used to replace the main drinking water fot maybe an hour twice a day.
Alright, I don't think there are any local weeping willows, so I would have to buy online, but I'm worried about pesticides. Do you know of an organic brand or maybe even willow bark tea, I've seen some capsules online but I want to be certain before I start giving him something that may have additives in it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Tumeric is an anti-inflammatory.
I use the label "Theracurmin" by Natural Factors since it has high bioavailability.
You could sprinkle it dry on food, but since I give other liquid meds orally, I dissolve/suspend it in water.
I tried 4 different brands of tumeric, and this dissolved the best and did not have a strong taste, others have strong additives.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Apply it to his foot after washing his foot a little with a cotton pad or similar. Then apply with a cotton pad. It does not sting or hurt at all - it just has a mild warming sensation (I used it on my knees too). It has a stong garlic smell that will last for days - I know, because I'm one of the 10% who can't smell it and when I would take Jasper in, after applying it several days before, the techs and Dr. Driggers would say they could smell it.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Apply it to his foot after washing his foot a little with a cotton pad or similar. Then apply with a cotton pad. It does not sting or hurt at all - it just has a mild warming sensation (I used it on my knees too). It has a stong garlic smell that will last for days - I know, because I'm one of the 10% who can't smell it and when I would take Jasper in, after applying it several days before, the techs and Dr. Driggers would say they could smell it.
How many times a day do I apply it, and would I continue using it even after the swelling has gone down?
He's been very agitated these last two days, hanging on the side of his cage and screaming, so I think his foot is really bothering him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Apply it daily until the swelling goes down then every two or three days - then now and then. When the swelling is completely gone and he appears "well" you can stop putting it on - until he swells again. Are you putting any antibiotic salve on the sore spot?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you putting any antibiotic salve on the sore spot?
Yes, I'm still using the Silver Sulfadiazine Cream, USP 1%, but I'll admit, I've been slacking these last few weeks, but I started putting it back on about two days ago.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He barely touched his food and spent most of breakfast time hanging on the cage bars. So, today he'll spend a few hours on his cushion that's on my desk that I've put a heating pad under. Poor guy. At least he looks more comfortable.
20190115_103158.jpg 20190115_103205.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor baby - he probably is hurting. He has the most attentive expression and the sweetest face. Has he been sleeping on his cage bottom?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has he been sleeping on his cage bottom?
Unfortunately, no. He hasn't slept on the bottom since he did so two nights in a row. I've been looking at wire kennels but I couldn't find one that he wouldn't get his head stuck in, so I've found a wire rabbit cage that I'll be buying in a few weeks and switching him over to that for nighttime and outside time in the spring.
Amazon's Choice

Midwest Wabbitat Folding Rabbit Cage

by MidWest Homes for Pets

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Willow bark contains the active ingredient of asprin. In fact, asprin was first developed as an extract of Willow bark.

Be careful with DMSO. It penetrates the skin very easily, but also makes the skin permiable. There are cases where people used it on their hands and then had contact with a normally non-toxic substance (because the skin blocked it) that then got inside and made them very sick. Safe as long as he's not going to contact any other liquids for a day or so.

When Rhubarb is having joint pain, we give her tart cherry juice with tumeric and milk thistle powder. 1/4 cup unsweetened, not concentrate cherry juice and one capsule mixed milk thistle and turmeric, pulled open and shaken into the juice. She didn't love it at first but it must be an acquired taste because within a couple weeks she'd do her excited dance when I asked if she wanted her juicy juice. She is syringe trained so giving her 0.5 ml is no problem, but sometimes I get lazy and mix it with her chop in the morning. I came up with that mix because:

Cherry juice - supports kidney function, helps with eliminating uric acid

Tumeric - Anti-inflammatory and pain relief

Milk thistle - Protects liver function and detoxifies

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Willow bark contains the active ingredient of asprin. In fact, asprin was first developed as an extract of Willow bark.

Be careful with DMSO. It penetrates the skin very easily, but also makes the skin permiable. There are cases where people used it on their hands and then had contact with a normally non-toxic substance (because the skin blocked it) that then got inside and made them very sick. Safe as long as he's not going to contact any other liquids for a day or so.

When Rhubarb is having joint pain, we give her tart cherry juice with tumeric and milk thistle powder. 1/4 cup unsweetened, not concentrate cherry juice and one capsule mixed milk thistle and turmeric, pulled open and shaken into the juice. She didn't love it at first but it must be an acquired taste because within a couple weeks she'd do her excited dance when I asked if she wanted her juicy juice. She is syringe trained so giving her 0.5 ml is no problem, but sometimes I get lazy and mix it with her chop in the morning. I came up with that mix because:

Cherry juice - supports kidney function, helps with eliminating uric acid

Tumeric - Anti-inflammatory and pain relief

Milk thistle - Protects liver function and detoxifies
Can I give milk thistle daily even though his liver levels are fine? I've wondered about this but I always thought it was for birds that actually needed it.
Can I give fresh cherries, or does it have to be the juice?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Safe as long as he's not going to contact any other liquids for a day or so.
I should also mention that he steps in his poop a lot. Is that going to cause problems with the DMSO?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Fresh cherries are great! Rhubarb thinks they are swollen cranberries and won't touch one to see her life.

As far as I can tell, milk thistle in small amounts doesn't hurt. We gave it to Rhubarb daily for almost two years and she's still kicking (much to the surprise of our vet's radiologist, who didn't give a very rosey picture of her prognosis based on her heart and kidneys). We also give it every fall for a month or two. The change in weather seems to bother her joints.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fresh cherries are great! Rhubarb thinks they are swollen cranberries and won't touch one to see her life.

As far as I can tell, milk thistle in small amounts doesn't hurt. We gave it to Rhubarb daily for almost two years and she's still kicking (much to the surprise of our vet's radiologist, who didn't give a very rosey picture of her prognosis based on her heart and kidneys). We also give it every fall for a month or two. The change in weather seems to bother her joints.
Looks like I'll be adding fresh cherries to his diet. I know the pit has to be removed, but how often should the fruit itself be offered in a week? And is there a particular brand of milk thistle and turmeric that would be best?

Status
Not open for further replies.