• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural liver support for lorikeets

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My little scaly breasted has elevated liver results, nothing to be worried about, but due to their susceptibility for a condition called iron storage, I would prefer to ensure her levels are normal. It will also be good for our resident red lory and rainbow lorikeet to also benefit from anything we do for M-Star.
The vet wants to start by changing their diet. The current diet he is not unhappy with but it isn't the lowest in iron so we have switched to what they have recommended which is a 50/50 split of Wombaroo and Vetafarm Golden Lori mix.
There is a great Avian Detox from Tea for Beaks, but due to our strict quarantine laws in Aus they won't be able to ship it here so need to find someone or a company here that can do similar.

What other natural therapies are there for supporting the liver that are not only safe for parrots, but safe for lorikeets taking into account their diet differs very much from "normal" parrots.

Your help is very much appreciated. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are they able to use milk thistle? You can get it in liquid form, or if you feed powder, you can also do powdered milk thistle?

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Milk Thistle seems to be okay for a lorikeet, but what dose is normally given?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I t depends on the MilkThistle. This is what I have been using for years. It is pharmaceutical quality NO ALCOHOL and easy to dose. I calculated a dosage of .2ml/day for my 1100 macaw based on the human dosage given on the bottle. There are about 10 drops/.1 ml. The good thing about Milk Thistle is it can't be overdosed unless you give them a bunch and there are no known side effects.