1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

National Animal Poison Control Center

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Kimba, 11/28/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimba

Kimba Sprinting down the street

Could we sticky this info? I've had to use this service, and it is great!

The National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPPC) of the University of Illinois can be reached by calling 1-900-680-0000 or 1- 800-548-2423.
    The NAPCC's phones are answered by licensed veterinarians and board-certified veterinary toxicologists. The NAPCC staff have a wide range of information specific to animal poisoning. They also have an extensive collection of individual cases -- over 250,000 -- involving pesticide, drug, plant, metal, and other exposures in food producing and companion animals.

the 800 number is 30 bucks, the other is by the minute
    and...
    The National Animal Poison Control Center of the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) can be reached by calling 1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435)

2. atvchick95

atvchick95 Biking along the boulevard

Kelli
    I thought poison control was free? it is a 800 number

I honestly don't know many ppl who will be paying
    30.00 to call a TOLL free 800 number when most vets have a "on call" number that doesn't cost the caller anything

3. Kimba

Kimba Sprinting down the street

I've had to use it. and it was well worth it. Most vets will say come on in we can't tell you anything. A vet visit for no reason, or a over nighter at the vets cause some basic steps that you could have taken to help, like feeding peanut butter to absorb toxins, but didn't know to, would cost a lot more than 30 bucks

1 person likes this.
  4. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    This is great info.

5. birdlover82

birdlover82 Biking along the boulevard

Susan
    I agree that is very good info to have handy.

6. Billie Faye

Billie Faye Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Billie Faye
    Here is another Pet Help Line :Pet Poison Helpline - 24/7 Animal Poison Control Center 800-213-6680
    Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet. We have the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings, 24 hours a day. Our knowledge and expertise of pet poisons will put your mind at ease when dealing with a potential emergency.
    In order to provide this critical service, please be advised that there is a $39 per incident fee, payable by credit card. This fee covers the initial consultation as well as all follow-up calls associated with the management of the case.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ziggymon

Ziggymon Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Heidrun, or Mouse
    Vets end up calling one of these numbers, and you will get charged for it. These registries have databases that contain information about the ingredients in various substances and the recommended treatments.

Several of my sister's cats got into a disinfecting product a year ago. The emergency clinic wanted her to call the ASPCA poison control number; I ended up making the call, because she was busy checking all of her cats. They immediately recognized the name of the product (a specialized product for use in vet offices), and provided information regarding best treatment options.

I now have the number saved in my cell phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)