• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Nasal Discharge

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hello guys -

My 8 yo BH Pionus has developed a watery discharge from both nostrils :( I already called and got an appt for an avian vet tomorrow at 2pm, but I'm so worried! She doesn't show obvious signs of respiratory or other distress - no tail bobbing, normal sounds, eating & drinking etc. She is not puffed up or lethargic. But I am worried nonetheless. I could take her to the vet emergency room tonight, but I think it wouldn't be to see an avian vet. I've been sitting with her in the steamy bathroom (not getting her wet) to see if that helps her. I feel like she might be making a funny sound - maybe a wheeze? But her other sounds are normal (chirping, whistling).

Advice? Take her to ER or wait til avian vet tomorrow?

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
Hey there! I think it is a good idea to take her to the vet as soon as possible to get her checked up. I've never experienced this situation before but I know that it is better to get your parrot checked before hand than just not worrying about it. It's really good that you were able to catch it happening! Before you go to to the vet tomorrow, just stay by her side and keep a close eye on her, parrots are known best for hiding their signs of sickness or injury. Sending you guys my love! I'm sure she will be great! :swoon:

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Zazuthelovbird Thanks for your response. The "hiding illness" part is what's got me worried... she really SEEMS fine, but then every once in a while she makes a funny kind of raspy noise, and she's sneezing a ton. But I feel like I can't do much until we see the avian vet tomorrow. She's still grooming, playing with her toys, and eating like a pig, so I'm hoping she's okay to wait. I've got a heater near her to make sure she's warm and I'll do some more steam to keep her airways moist.

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@Nostromo Don't worry, as long as she's eating and playing until tomorrow, she'll be alright. And that's a good idea to put a heater near her but make sure there is no teflon otherwise it could make her sick. Other than that just remember to keep a close eye on her until your visit to the vet. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the vet goes well tomorrow! Hopefully it’s something that a quick round of antibiotics will fix.:fingerscrossed:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch did something similar one time and he cleared up quickly and was fine. I think sometimes they get allergies and things like we do but definitely take her in to be safe.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping it'll be something environmental like the heater being on or dust in the air. And I'm so glad that she still seems just fine otherwise. It'll be good to take her in tomorrow since we haven't had an avian vet see her yet, so if she isn't sick, it'll be a good chance to get a baseline.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Great news! The vet visit went really well; the avian vet said that Zephyr looked like she was in perfect health. Vet suspects that an irritant like dry air or dust was causing the discharge. And she complimented us on Zephyr being so well cared for and well socialized :) and Zephyr is 240 grams, up from 214 when we got her, so she's a healthy, strong little lady! Yay! Thanks for everybody who offered reassurance and advice!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great news!!:dance4:

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
Awesome!! That's such good news! Glad she's a strong and healthy well taken cared of parrot :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:cheer::cheer::cheer: Great news!!! Kobe has problems with runny nares, but after many years of investigation we all (vets included) think it is allergies. If it's clear mucus, usually it means no infection.