• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nasal Discharge - Sanity Check

CRL

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Hi,

So, as a note, we are and have been seeing an avian vet for the last month or so for what we suspect to be an upper respiratory infection. We have not yet found an exact reason for it and are currently on our second round of Baytril (14 days). We are welcoming any thoughts or ideas.

We have a 6-month-old Lilac Crowned Amazon who, when we got her, would sneeze on occasion (like two or three times a day, nothing abnormal). Her initial blood work and tests (PBFD, Psittacosis, etc.) were great. But, about a month later, we noticed some wet sneezes and a bit of nasal discharge (thin, clear, slightly runny). We brought her to the vet and did a gram stain of a throat swab, which found greater than normal amounts of bacteria. Physically (heart, lungs, feathers, etc.), everything sounded or looked fine. We were prescribed Baytril once a day for 14 days, and she improved and was doing great (maintaining weight, lots of Amazon energy).

About a week after finishing the antibiotics, the discharge came back. The vet did another throat swab gram stain and found less bacteria than before, but still more than normal. She also saw a little bit of yeast. She recommended a nasal flush and culturing the discharge. We didn't start any medication at this time as she wanted to be sure what was there first. However, three days later, the discharge was a bit worse (it looked like it was pooling in the nostril like a clear gel, rather than thin and runny like before). She had also lost a little bit of weight (about 8 grams over the 10 days since she finished the first round of Baytril), audibly sounded stuffy, and wasn't as active as before. Our vet hadn't heard back regarding the culture, but started us on Baytril again (14 days, same daily dose) as well as a probiotic and a recommendation to use apple cider vinegar in her water (for the possible yeast). We also did a fecal gram stain (I was concerned about yeast in the GI tract even though her feces physically looked fine) and saw nothing. Also her heart and lungs sounded good.

We're now a little over a week into this round of Baytril and she's definitely improving (gained 5 grams in weight and has more energy), but, unlike before, is still having occasional discharge. We heard back about the culture and nothing was found, just "normal bacteria" in elevated amounts -- no yeast or anything else. The vet requested a sensitivity to determine what those amounts are.

In the meantime, we're not sure what to do next. We've been giving her steamy showers about every other day, but are kind of in a holding pattern for now as we go through this round of Baytril while waiting for the additional results. We're kind of wondering if it could just be allergies or something (do birds get allergies?). Maybe there's a bacteria that's resistant to Baytril, or is there a "bird cold" (which, I guess would be a virus)?

We do have two other, slightly older birds (green cheeked conure, cockatiel) who are kept separately from her, and they're healthy from what we've seen. We also have two guinea pigs in the same room as her (on the opposite side, separated by a RabbitAir air filter). Could they cause an allergic reaction in her?

Thank you for any insight or recommendations.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird is ill. Did the vet get the sensitivity info back yet? They may need to change the antibiotic. Sometimes a vitamin A deficiency can cause sneezing and nasal discharge. What are you feeding your parrot? Yes, birds can have allergies.
Did the vet do any blood work, btw?
What is your LCA's name and welcome to AA.
I almost adopted an LCA.

Reactions: CRL

CRL

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Hi,
Our LCA is named Lucy (the "L" in CRL). We haven't gotten the sensitivity info back yet -- the lab is closed on the weekends, so we're really hoping for Monday at this point. Vitamin A deficiency is actually really interesting, and it's something I plan to bring up with my vet. We're feeding her a custom mix ("Todd Marcus Custom Blend 7") from the store we got here from, which is what they weaned her on, but we're looking to change from it because there's just so much variety that it's difficult to know what exactly she's eating -- dried fruits, nuts, different pellets, etc. We're also concerned about the sugar content, because she's really picky with her chop (she likes broccoli, carrots, and sweet potatoes, but definitely prefers the custom mix over them), so maybe she's not getting enough nutrients.

We haven't done recent blood work. The initial one was done two months ago in early September, and when we brought her to the vet in October, they mentioned that we could, but the one is September was still pretty recent. I'll bring this up to the vet as well. Thank you!

(Please ignore the dowel -- it's since been vet wrapped).
Lucy(2).jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is very pretty and Lucy is a cute name. I also have a bird named Lucy. Additional blood work may not be necessary since she just had that done in Sept. although things do change. I do hope that she continues to improve and the nasal discharge stops. I'm not familiar with the Todd Marcus custom mix. I have a Yellow Naped and a Blue-fronted Amazon. They get Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill and Caitec Oven Fresh Bite Pellets (medium size). They also get mixed veggies and for treats they get Avicakes, Lafeber Parrot Popcorn, Avian Organics Baked Treats, roasted/unsalted cashews and pine nuts, walnuts and almonds in the shell. They get a limited amount of treats and don't get each one of them every day. Mine don't eat everything in their seed mix. They pick and choose what they like. I've tried mashes with them but they won't eat those. It's great that she likes broccoli, carrots and sweet potatoes. Those are nutritious. None of my birds will eat broccoli or sweet potatoes but at least they eat the carrots.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie she is! I’m sorry I have no advice, but I hope Lucy will continue to improve!