• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Napping During The Day

JoanneMarie

Moving in
Real Name
Joanne Olivieri
Hi there, my name is Joanne and I have a 20 year old cockatiel that I rehomed about 2 years ago from an owner who had him all his life. His name is Sammy and I love him to pieces. He has a lot of energy in the morning hours and evening hours where he eats, plays, preens, sings and dances. He loves music and I have music on all day for him. I am retired and disabled, home all day and he is my constant companion. My question is, is it normal for him to take several naps during the day for his age? He is in good health and has always been quieter during the afternoons. He love to shred and chew and has many toys around his playarea to keep him busy. I just sometimes worry about his naps.

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Some of mine nap for several hours in the afternoon when I leave them alone for quiet time in cages

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Napping during the day is generally normal. Some of mine will nap a few times during the day and with some of them I never see them nap. If you think he is sleeping too much, seems fluffed up and there are any other changes in behavior that might be concerning to you then consider taking him to the vet for a check up.
He's a handsome 'tiel.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Sammy! :)

It's definitely normal for senior tiels to take naps! Goalie (who passed a couple of years ago at the age of 26) would take naps in the afternoon...she'd also be a late "waker"...she'd wake up a couple of hours later than the other, much younger tiels.
She also was the BOSS of the other two tiels- both boys. If they'd get into a disagreement over a toy or piece of food, Goalie would jump between them, pound her beak, and hiss at them...they'd both RUN...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I have a complete soft spot for senior tiels. Napping is normal. :) It was suggested to me to give my senior tiel senior nutriberries. They have some helpful stuff in them for senior birdies.

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
my bird naps a LOT, but thats only because he is molting. if your bird is molting napping alot is normal.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here! Your baby is adorable!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!