• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Naked bird! Plucking help

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
My soon to be new friend, Kismet the African Grey, is a plucker, and has been for a very long time. She has been with her family for 26 of the 27 years she has been alive. They claim that she has always plucked. I know it's a long shot, any chance she would heal up? Or anything I can do? ( I am sure her owners have done it all to help her ) kismet.jpg kismet2.jpg

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
The poor baby! My little one I've had for 1 year and 3 months. He started chewing his tail feathers on 11 months. So I was very nervous and did a lot of research, the most common plucking/self mutiliation occurs from stress or boredom. Being in the new place with you im sure the plucking is going to continue for a bit. But that dienst' mean you cant do things to try and help him be distracted.

I also read that do not bring attention to the plucking, like don't move his head away from his body as he is doing it, I've read that cna make it worse. you want to try and bring all attnetion AWAY from the feathers. So like chewing toys. The thing that worked for my birb is that I got him TONS AND TONS of wicker straw toys and paper that he can take his frustration/boredum/stress out on instread of himself. Cause as we all know, our parrots are like little raptors in a tiny body. HAHA. I also got those wonder toys that encourage foraging:

https://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Toy...rd_wg=xuAfp&psc=1&refRID=A4AH93XPXDQWPS9DRTH7

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Bird-C...d=1528122378&sr=1-25&keywords=wicker+bird+toy

And just load up his cage with all these crazy toys and treats to keep his mind constantly stimulated. My birds prefers the wicker toys, rather than the wood. He's a runt conure, (pretty small for this type) so he has a hard time chewing at the wood and gets bored because he can't DESTROY it as well as the wicker. Try filling a water bottle with paper and treats and hang it upside down in the cage so he has to work to pull all the paper out to get to his favorite treats.

he just might need to more stimulated than he is. And sometimes putting a radio on when you leave the house also stimulates them, most birds love music and dancing to the music. Also, the non-silent room may be less stressful if they dont like being alone.

These are just a few things that have helped my bird not self-mutilate. they are like toddlers, and any bored toddler will find bad habits if they aren't entertained enough either.

I hope some of these help. And as I've said, all birbs are different, play around and see which works best for your new beautiful birb. But in my opinion, they can never have enough toys in their cage. Especially if you are out during the day for work and they are left along in their cage until you get home. oh! also, each time you clean his cage, move the toys all around. move the food around, the water, the toys, so it's like a whole new place for him to explore and discover.

Keep us posted :D <3

**edit: There is a chance that he may even be OVER stimulated in the current house that he is in, sometimes if their cage is put in a place in the house that is stressful for them they can pluck as well. There are many many factors that lead to self-mutilation in birbs. I really hope that this was helpful in some way.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Naked or not, he is adorable!
Now, I don’t have much knowledge about greys at all so don’t take me too seriously, but if he didn’t have those red feathers on his back all his Life I thought there was something wrong with the diet? Perhaps with a better diet he Will heal up a bit, but as he has plucked for so long it Will be hard to break the habit I think.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I am almost 100% sure the current owners have done a million things to help her too. I have a lot of foraging toys and other things, being a rescue it's second nature to buy a lot of foraging toys, etc. I just wondered if there is anything out of the usual ways to fix this?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am almost 100% sure the current owners have done a million things to help her too. I have a lot of foraging toys and other things, being a rescue it's second nature to buy a lot of foraging toys, etc. I just wondered if there is anything out of the usual ways to fix this?
There are many thing you can do/try. A brand new world alone (you) can do miracles. I'm busy all day today. When I get a chance I'll post a bunch of stuff for you to read.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
@JLcribber I kind of thought that a new environment could help, my concern is that she's been at it for such a long time. I will wait for your "homework"

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have had success with , and not, honestly .. with "pluck no more " its oral and topical...what have you got to lose?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love that you’re helping another bird in need! Maybe her
feather problems will improve while in your care.:heart:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love that you’re helping another bird in need! Maybe her
feather problems will improve while in your care.:heart:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wonder if you can spray a bird safe product onto the feathers to make them taste a bit off...

New environment can shift the attention off the feathers.

Definitely a vet check.

Good food/supplements maybe there are skin deficiency's. An allergy etc.

She needs a home & you have some love to give so I hope it works out & even if she plucks as long s its not a medical issue that has to be ok with you. Just like some people chew there nails or twist there hair...

BTW: Luv the name Kismet

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Get previous vet records and, if necessary, another opinion and more bloodwork, x-rays, etc.

That said, if the feather follicles are far too damaged, they'll never regrow.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Shes not real naked...Seems to be around neck & legs.

odd...not the belly...just zoomed in so guess it is the chest too!!!

Agree with Monica.. see what tests were done to see if there were any medical issues...

26 years of that...????

Anyway it needs to be reevaluated...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for adopting Kismet. Vet check may be in order but good suggestion by Monica to get previous vet records if they are available.
I have had some success with Nekton Bio.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
thank you everyone, I will be reading up on all of this. From what I could tell so far, the owners have tried a lot of things and she does get regular vet care.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She may not ever get feathers in those areas. She looks a lot like Giggie skin-wise and her follicles are damaged so she doesn't grow a lot of feathers in those areas anymore. Toys, enrichment, vet checks. But most of all, don't stress over it. You can drive yourself absolutely bonkers with worry and trying to fix things. Welcome to the nakkie belly kisses club. :hug8:

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
If she has been doing this for so long, unfortunately more than likely it is permanent damage. Marlene Mc'Cohen has a plucked cockatoo named Jersey she has a knitted shirt for Jersey. Maybe you could get a grey one for your new baby.