• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail Trimming in Toronto Help

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question?
I'm looking for a place to have my Linnie's nails trimmed in Toronto (downtown preferable). My high park avian vet charges $45 per bird (exam fee) plus $14 each for nail trims, which gets really expensive since their nails grown so fast! Can anyone recommend a groomer with clean, safe, hygienic surroundings that I could try?

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question?
I'm looking for a place to have my Linnie's nails trimmed in Toronto (downtown preferable). My high park avian vet charges $45 per bird (exam fee) plus $14 each for nail trims, which gets really expensive since their nails grown so fast! Can anyone recommend a groomer with clean, safe, hygienic surroundings that I could try?

The high park vet you mention is it McDonald Animal Clinic on Bloor and Keele? I know they are a bit expensive.

The Links is a good place from what I've heard.

Veterinarian Toronto - The Links Road Animal & Bird Clinic

Or the Animal Hospital located on St.Clair near the old Stock yards.

Veterinarians in Toronto, Ontario | Animal Hospital of High Park

I know there are some Pet Smarts that have birds so they have staff that know how to trim nails.

Or you can check around to places that sell birds from Kijiji as the breeders always know how to do nails properly for a small cost.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
The Links Road clinic is great, but they're a long drive from the downtown core. You might want to call and ask about the pricing of just a trim - mine have always been free/included in the office visit (a new bird is $90 and a recheck is $55, so both of those are more expensive than High Park's visit), but I would have trouble justifying the time and gas to get there too. :p

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a bit of a drive from the downtown area, but the Big Al's in Scarborough, when I went a year ago, had a nice girl who did nail trims very well. They charged me $5 per bird.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
That store is very close to me on bloor! That could work. One question- Do they treat their birds well? If I see birds in improper cages, it sticks with me.EDIT- close to "earth echoes" on bloor not menagerie.
BTW, my vet is called high park animal hospital.

Last edited:

Joelle

Walking the driveway
The Links Road clinic is great, but they're a long drive from the downtown core. You might want to call and ask about the pricing of just a trim - mine have always been free/included in the office visit (a new bird is $90 and a recheck is $55, so both of those are more expensive than High Park's visit), but I would have trouble justifying the time and gas to get there too. :p
I wish I was closer to links, I use high park animal hospital but they charge biannual exam fees even if you just need nails trimmed.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might want to call and ask about the pricing of just a trim
Unfortunately, Links Road does not offer just trims. :( Must have exam fee too.

cherrytea

Sitting on the front steps
Hi Joelle,
Did you ever have any luck?

I know this thread is a bit stale, so was just wondering if there are any new information. We're also looking for someone to trim our bird's nails close to downtown Toronto. We're also patients at High Park Animal Hospital. Pekoe just had her first exam last month, so having another so soon (just for a nail trim!) is a bit extravagant.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@cherrytea Joelle has not been on the forum for a year, and this thread is two years old. I would start a new thread so that you receive new replies.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Let me know if you find anything good! We get our birds' nails done at the vet and Mango only takes a matter of weeks to go from freshly trimmed to needle toes because she is super picky about perches. I wonder if @Parrot Hotel & Shop might be able to recommend someone in Toronto proper (she's does grooming but she's a little ways out of town) that doesn't require a vet checkup along with the nail trim.

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
Let me know if you find anything good! We get our birds' nails done at the vet and Mango only takes a matter of weeks to go from freshly trimmed to needle toes because she is super picky about perches. I wonder if @Parrot Hotel & Shop might be able to recommend someone in Toronto proper (she's does grooming but she's a little ways out of town) that doesn't require a vet checkup along with the nail trim.
I do grooming, about an hour from Toronto. Any vet you go to will normally charge you extra for an exam. I charge $15 for nails for the smaller guys :)

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I do grooming, about an hour from Toronto. Any vet you go to will normally charge you extra for an exam. I charge $15 for nails for the smaller guys :)
I'd totally go to you, but I don't drive! Just wondering if you know anyone reputable in the 416 proper. Or if you do house calls if you happened to be in town anyway lol, I'm sure it would still be cheaper than a vet appointment.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ming-Ming used to do nail trims. Not sure if she still does, though. I trim my birds' nails myself with a Dremel. I still go to the vet for beak trims though. Everybirdy is due for a beak trim soon, so that will be expensive!

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
I'd totally go to you, but I don't drive! Just wondering if you know anyone reputable in the 416 proper. Or if you do house calls if you happened to be in town anyway lol, I'm sure it would still be cheaper than a vet appointment.
I'm not normally in the area :(

You can try this lady, I've heard she is good - Travelling Bird Groomer | Facebook