• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail polish?

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I know nail polish ( and remover ) is not safe for birds - the fumes.

But how about when it's dry? Say if after its completely dry and a bird chips off a piece and eats it? I never use the stuff anyway but what if I do one day? It's something I never found info on...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
JMHO I would say no, all the chemicals are poison even for us human little alone a bird.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would be more worried about the blood running out of your finger from your bird biting after getting a look at these new/different/threatening things on your hands. :)

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I would be more worried about the blood running out of your finger from your bird biting after getting a look at these new/different/threatening things on your hands. :)
Defiantly, ouch XD

:arghh::grumpy:

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I painted my lovely toes, Ella was all about trying to touch my toes all along saying "bad girl", :rolleyes: she doesn't touch them now I did the poke on her wing... all good! :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nail polish is bad stuff, even for humans. I stopped using anything on my nails several years ago except coconut oil and they look better than ever.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I know painted nails can look like salad to bearded dragons, my birds never had that issue :lol:
Personal experience and my :2cents:
I'd say I've been halfway lucky there

Rolanda

Both of my boys go after my nails if I have anything on them. They act like I've tricked them and installed snakes!:angry101:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Both of my boys go after my nails if I have anything on them. They act like I've tricked them and installed snakes!:angry101:
My cockatiel doesn't particularly like when she sees any of my snakes moving in their cages. My IRN could care less. A hamster is pretty interesting though to both of them. Nail polish never bothered either of them. Go figure. Then again I did dye my hair green for a while. Maybe they just expect me to be a different color often.